How to test the balance of your d20

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
[video=youtube_share;VI3N4Qg-JZM]https://youtu.be/VI3N4Qg-JZM[/video]

What do you think? Bad luck or off balance? Rolling technique maybe? Surface isn't flat? Why do you think you roll poorly? I roll low all the time. My Space Marines can't hit the broad side of a barn in 40k. I play spellcasters and use spells that don't require rolls all the time because I miss so much.

I tend towards support characters and spellcasters for that same reason. Being able to spam the Help action as a Rogue Mastermind is a lot of fun.

I’ve done the salt test on dice, and it definitely works. My brother was insistent that there was no such thing as “bad luck” and kept using the same die. Until the salt test proved that it was poorly balanced.

I play spellcasters and use spells that don't require rolls all the time because I miss so much.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
It is obviously a sudden and temporary curse that has been placed on the specific die, and switching to a different one on the spot, resolves this issue.

Indeed. That is why I have bag full of d20s. Or it could be a tactic to make the die jealous. "I've moved on." Heartbrokenly the die starts rolling better.

This is a good test for balance. However, balance is not the only factor that determines fairness of a die. The shape of the edge will also play a large factor. If one edge is sharper than another or if the curvature of an edge is asymmetrical, then the die will still roll less randomly even if it is perfectly balanced.

So, it's a good test. But if you want to be sure, there's no substitute for rolling your die 2000 times and recording and analyzing the results.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
This is semi related.
[video=youtube_share;VXRwMAGDIIM]https://youtu.be/VXRwMAGDIIM[/video]

Any DIYers make an attempt at making dice?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases