How VTT Automation Exacerbates D&D Market Control

Jaeger

That someone better
Whenever a PC gets one of those rare buff or debuffs, making sure you add or subtract accurately from everything you do. Remembering the timing of durations and other trackers as well. So, not much different than 3E/PF1,

Good to know. I found 3E/PF1 a bit too much for me and mine.

Obviously there is a market for that level of crunch though.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Ah, that explains it. Yeah, 4e to me was very clearly derived from 3e, even if it had gotten serious about some things at the price of some others.
Other than using a D20 and having 6 stats, the design varies wildly from there. The big hits are SAD classes, hybrid archetype/multiclass, tactical over strategic game play. The list goes on, but I dont see the two as very close other than having a base chassis.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Other than using a D20 and having 6 stats, the design varies wildly from there. The big hits are SAD classes, hybrid archetype/multiclass, tactical over strategic game play. The list goes on, but I dont see the two as very close other than having a base chassis.

You've got to remember, Payn: I've spend the majority of my gaming life outside the D&D sphere. D&D4e had classes, level elevating hit points, levels themselves, AC and the D20. The only things that seemed to be a significant change was the heavy deemphasis of Vancian casting and using Fort/Ref/Will as target numbers for attacks. Other than that, to me most of the rest of the differences just felt like riffs on the same theme.

Remove ads