How VTT Automation Exacerbates D&D Market Control

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Oh! Wow! I get it. I think that being a shut in has health risks of its own but I am not about to argue with your friend or with you on the topic, but it does beg the question, will the rise of VTT play result in people refusing the face to face experience if the face to face game does not provide similar automation tooling as VTT play?
I know of a few folks that meet F2F and then log into the VTT and play the session out.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
We were using Maptool before COVID forced it. It was simply so much easier to handle character position and maps given the space we were playing in.
We used a battlemat with dry erase and minis. Didnt have an issue. Though, as GM using VTT PDF maps is pretty sweet and effortless. I like how I can pass notes over to players etc.. Id say as GM I definitely like the VTT better, though as player im more into F2F battlemat minis and paper sheets.

In my specific case, there is a difference. The player in question is fine with playing Pathfinder, if we can find a VTT that has the same degree of automation in both building and using the character in play that 5E enjoys. For this player, it isn't about wanting to exclusively play D&D, but wanting the same technical experience.
That would be Foundry. FGU has by far the best automation for D&D5e. Foundry has the best automation for PF2. Which is sad for me as I have thousands of dollars in Fantasy Grounds and found it impossible to compete with Foundry GMs to attract Pathfinder players.

But— there has been a big PF2 update for Fantasy Grounds, update 19, that’s been in the works and repeatedly delayed, and I have heard rumors it might be released this fall.

Reynard

Legend
That would be Foundry. FGU has by far the best automation for D&D5e. Foundry has the best automation for PF2. Which is sad for me as I have thousands of dollars in Fantasy Grounds and found it impossible to compete with Foundry GMs to attract Pathfinder players.

But— there has been a big PF2 update for Fantasy Grounds, update 19, that’s been in the works and repeatedly delayed, and I have heard rumors it might be released this fall.
I just read through the rules update doc that Paizo put out and I am actually going to hold off on PF2E until the new books come out. I don't have any desire to have to learn the game twice.

Remove ads