How VTT Automation Exacerbates D&D Market Control

Reynard

Legend
That makes sense, and the availability of tools to help track stuff makes more sense to me with you just mentioning that as an issue. A couple drinks has the opposite effect for me, helps with relaxation and the ability to roll with the punches.
As a discovery/improv GM, I concur. Now, I have definitely accidentally overindulged and it makes prepping the next session a little harder, but I don't think I have ever ruined a session by drinking too much.

What was this thread about again? ::hic::

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As a discovery/improv GM, I concur. Now, I have definitely accidentally overindulged and it makes prepping the next session a little harder, but I don't think I have ever ruined a session by drinking too much.

What was this thread about again? ::hic::
Not sure anymore. I start with a spliff and work my way into bourbon though it rarely helps with relaxation. By end of the night we are usually doing live reenactments of the combats.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Foundry isn't the only VTT. And I don't think it is the most popular, but we don't actually have any way to know unless everyone releases their user numbers.

Maybe I am not being clear. I am not saying that there is no place to play PF2E online with decent support. I am saying that in general when you try and get folks to play other games, in addition to all the usual problems of convincing them to do something other than 5E, you now have the added difficulty of "the VTT implementation isn't as good as D&D!" And it won't be, because more people are using and modding VTTs for 5E than any other system, by a wide margin.
Maybe I'm not being clear....the PF2e implementation is BETTER on Foundry than the DnD5e implementation, so I'm disagreeing with your premise. Which, cool. The issue is tiny compared to the fact that it is nearly impossible to get most players to change once they've started.

Reynard

Legend
Maybe I'm not being clear....the PF2e implementation is BETTER on Foundry than the DnD5e implementation, so I'm disagreeing with your premise. Which, cool. The issue is tiny compared to the fact that it is nearly impossible to get most players to change once they've started.
It's one example juxtaposed against numerous counter examples.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Not sure what to suggest with respect to the initial post. Either find people willing to play pathfinder on FG (for the record I play D&D on that platform but no with mods, just the native automation) or find some one to add the mods you need.
And yeah! I know that is not easy.
This always going to be a problem and it is as much an artifact of WotC's dominance as anything else.

Reynard

Legend
Not sure what to suggest with respect to the initial post. Either find people willing to play pathfinder on FG (for the record I play D&D on that platform but no with mods, just the native automation) or find some one to add the mods you need.
And yeah! I know that is not easy.
This always going to be a problem and it is as much an artifact of WotC's dominance as anything else.
Thanks. I wasn't really asking for specific advice so much as commenting on this new barrier to "not D&D" which as you say has pretty much always been a problem.

Remove ads