D&D 5E How will the recent OGL developments affect your D&D spending?

How will the recent OGL developments affect your D&D spending?

• No change.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I will buy more official D&D products.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I will buy fewer official D&D products.

Votes: 71 60.7%
  • I will buy more 3PP products.

Votes: 60 51.3%
  • I will buy fewer 3PP products.

Votes: 3 2.6%

masdog

Explorer
While I’m not new to TTRPGs (previously played a lot of Star Wars D6 and some Old World of Darkness), I’m pretty new to D&D. I was planning to start acquiring a lot more WotC and 3PP content as my oldest is now in a TTRPG club at school.

I think I’ll just restrict my purchasing to mostly 3PP stuff going forward.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I would have bought some more titles on DDB this year, both already released stuff I don't have and some forthcoming stuff. Now I won't.

I have my campaigns planned for the next 2+ years or so... but circumstances change, feelings change, we are always changing.

I think that's it for me and WotC for the foreseeable future though.

Last edited:

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I have been pondering this, and I think it's too early to tell. I want to see the final OGL changes before I make a final decision.

I can honestly say that I will be picking up more 3rd party products. I like to support the companies that care about their customers. I'm digging what I see from Kobold Press and AAW games.

I had decided not to buy any Pathfinder 2e products since I had D&D 5e, which is the game system I had been looking for since 2e. I've bought a few things here and there, but after the ORC announcement, I'm determined to support them more. I also dig Starfinder.

As for WotC, time will tell. I've always been a D&D fanboy. Right now, I'm trying to separate out rules and settings from the company.

I've been thinking about how I have a system I like and a lifetime of content to play. I don't need One D&D. I hope I will like it, but I am really reconsidering whether I will continue to buy every D&D book that comes out.

So I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm still sorting it out.

I buy little from them NOW. I got the 5E Core books, but after that everything WotC was bought at Half Price Books(or similar places). I got 5E Spelljammer as a gift.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I'm a little worried about how people are going to treat their spending on DMsGuild, because it's a slap in the face to tell a writer that their work on a project months to years in the making might be boycotted because some marketing/business/legal executive at Hasbro/WotC made poor decisions that harmed public relations. Some DMsGuild works in progress likely just can't be transferred to non-DnD either, because of how much they might tie into DnD settings.

We've noticed a plunge in sales on Tasslehoff's Pouches of Everything due to this whole mess. It's the Dragonlance Nexus' debut product on DMs Guild, too.

As Dragonlance is owned by WotC, it's not like we can sell it using a different game system. If we did use a different system, we could only put it out on the Nexus site for free. We've done that sort of thing for two decades. We much prefer the ability to publish our stuff on DMs Guild and get a little compensation for it.

Our only other option would be to abandon Dragonlance and do our own thing. The problem with that thought is that we are all very passionate about Dragonlance. That's just not an option.

guachi

Hero
I didn't realize the Dragonlance book came out. I was actually interested in that after not buying a Hasbro D&D book for several years.

Won't buy it now.

Instead, I dropped $250 on Kobold Press stuff that I'd been meaning to get for the last year.

Steel_Wind

Legend
We've noticed a plunge in sales on Tasslehoff's Pouches of Everything due to this whole mess. It's the Dragonlance Nexus' debut product on DMs Guild, too.

As Dragonlance is owned by WotC, it's not like we can sell it using a different game system. If we did use a different system, we could only put it out on the Nexus site for free. We've done that sort of thing for two decades. We much prefer the ability to publish our stuff on DMs Guild and get a little compensation for it.

Our only other option would be to abandon Dragonlance and do our own thing. The problem with that thought is that we are all very passionate about Dragonlance. That's just not an option.
I will certainly buy the 5e conversion of the DL campaign when you release it -- and already have TPoE.

This will take a while to sort itself out. I would not project the future to be as bleak as all of this.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
As such, I thought I should explain. I primarily purchase 5e 3PP supplements. I believe the recent/upcoming changes will lead to fewer 5e 3PP. Therefore there will be a smaller pool of potential purchases for me and thus most likely fewer purchases. Not because I want, but because of likely market realities.
But surely the Total Amount of 3PP Product Produced > 3PP Product You Buy? I guess the question is asking will you re-direct dollars you would have given to WotC to 3PP products instead?

dave2008

Legend
But surely the Total Amount of 3PP Product Produced > 3PP Product You Buy? I guess the question is asking will you re-direct dollars you would have given to WotC to 3PP products instead?
I don't know, but I doubt it. I have more stuff than I need or could use now, so I don't need to purchase anything. But you never know!

Remove ads