D&D 5E How would you handle conditions?

Najo

First Post
Conditions have changed alot from 3-5th. Are you happy with how 5e is handling them? What would you change? What conditions would you add or take away? What ones would you change and why?

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
Conditions have changed alot from 3-5th. Are you happy with how 5e is handling them? What would you change? What conditions would you add or take away? What ones would you change and why?

I would use keywords as conditions for modularity to allow each table to have its own play style supported.

So when the party encounters a Medusa in The Deep Dark Dungeon of DreadTM and one of the characters gets hit with the Medusa's Dreaded Gaze attack it would work like this:

Medusa
<stats>
Attacks
Stone Gaze - The target of the Medusa makes a Constitution save vs. DC 14, on a failure they are PETRIFIED.

Then in the old School Module PETRIFIED is defined as:

PETRIFIED - The character is turned permanently to stone. They have resistance against damage and are considered unconscious and helpless.

Then in the Tactical Module PETRIFIED is defined as:

PETRIFIED - The character is immobilized and must make a second saving throw on the following round, if they fail they are restrained and must make a third saving throw on the following round, if they fail they are turned permanently to stone. They have resistance against damage and are considered unconscious and helpless.

To me this actually allows multiple play styles.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I like the condition system of 4E and D&D Next. Its a shorter list but cover most areas. I could see a dazed and slowed conditions as an milder alternative to being stunned (unable to act) or paralyzed (unable to move) being introduced.

Dazed
• You grant advantage.
• You can take either a action oe a move on your
turn. You can’t take reactions or bonus actions.

Slowed
• Your speed becomes 10 feet. This speed applies to all your
movement modes, but it does not apply to teleportation
or movement you didn't use initiated yourself. You can’t increase
your speed above 10 feet, and your speed doesn’t increase
if it was lower than 10 feet. If you’re slowed while moving,
stop if you have already moved 10 or more feet.

Ichneumon

First Post
I'd like to see Intoxicated changed to Stupefied, or something similar, and have intoxication be just one of the things that can put you in a stupefied state.

Remove ads