D&D 5E Hydellor OOC

tglassy

Adventurer
So question.

Looking at the new UA, they are enhancing and providing options for all classes. One major one is that Sorcerers, Bards and Warlocks all get to replace one of their spells every long rest to another spell on their list of the same level, greatly opening up their versatility and eliminating the main issue I’ve always had with them, even though they are among my favorite classes. My first question would be: would this alternate rule be allowed in game? What about the extra invocations it offers?

Another question. I’ve long considered multiclassing Liam as a Divine Soul Sorcerer. This game started before Xanathar’s came out, so I didn’t have that option before. Now, however, if the previous option were available, it would give him access to the Warlock, Sorcerer and Cleric Spell lists, even if his number of spells known in a particular day were lower. This would greatly enhance his versatility as well, and really make him the party Spell caster.

And finally, if I were to do that, what would your opinion be on converting Pact Magic to Sorcerer Points? It’s technically in the rules, but since I am a Tomelock, I can get the invocation where I never need to sleep, and can instead just take a bunch of short rests, constantly replenishing my two Pact Magic slots and converting them to spell slots, and since I’d have access to Cleric spells, I could heal myself using spells instead of rests.

This is, of course, somewhat gaming the system, and I would completely understand if some or all of this were disallowed. But I had already been thinking of multiclassing him, and at least that first one, about being able to switch spells out during a long rest, would be super useful.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
So question.

Looking at the new UA, they are enhancing and providing options for all classes. One major one is that Sorcerers, Bards and Warlocks all get to replace one of their spells every long rest to another spell on their list of the same level, greatly opening up their versatility and eliminating the main issue I’ve always had with them, even though they are among my favorite classes. My first question would be: would this alternate rule be allowed in game? What about the extra invocations it offers?

Another question. I’ve long considered multiclassing Liam as a Divine Soul Sorcerer. This game started before Xanathar’s came out, so I didn’t have that option before. Now, however, if the previous option were available, it would give him access to the Warlock, Sorcerer and Cleric Spell lists, even if his number of spells known in a particular day were lower. This would greatly enhance his versatility as well, and really make him the party Spell caster.

And finally, if I were to do that, what would your opinion be on converting Pact Magic to Sorcerer Points? It’s technically in the rules, but since I am a Tomelock, I can get the invocation where I never need to sleep, and can instead just take a bunch of short rests, constantly replenishing my two Pact Magic slots and converting them to spell slots, and since I’d have access to Cleric spells, I could heal myself using spells instead of rests.

This is, of course, somewhat gaming the system, and I would completely understand if some or all of this were disallowed. But I had already been thinking of multiclassing him, and at least that first one, about being able to switch spells out during a long rest, would be super useful.

Thanks for bringing up this UA! I'll have to read it. This is a gamechanger for the charisma casters, I wonder what the long term effect will be. I think it will be huge for bards and sorcerers since their spell list is long (and divine soul sorcerers would be the biggest winners).

So, you want to make a coffeelock, do you? ;-)

You know, Xanathar kinda nerfed the coffeelocking gambit with the long rest rules:

Going Without A Long Rest: Whenever you end a 24-hour period without finishing a long rest, you must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or suffer one level of exhaustion. It becomes harder to fight off exhaustion if you stay awake for multiple days. After the first 24 hours, the DC increases by 5 for each consecutive 24-hour period without a long rest. The DC resets to 10 when you finish a long rest.”

Even with the invocation that prevents sleeping, your character still needs to take a long rest or get exhaustion levels, and unfortunately, long rest kills all those extra slots. If we ever get there, Theremin could get Greater Restoration (5th level spell) and help out!
Cheers,

SG

tglassy

Adventurer
Well that's just it. Celestial Warlocks and Divine Soul Sorcerers get that too, at lvl 9, which is when this would really come online anyway (Warlock 6/Sorcerer 3). And since he'd basically have infinite spell slots, taking short rests as often as it allows and using the Warlock Pact Magic for Spell Points, he'd be able to cast Greater Restoration anytime he failed the check, and not really lose out on anything. The only limitation would be the number of short rests he can take. Which, limiting it to 2 or 3 per long rest would completely negate this build altogether, and would be completely reasonable. I just wanted to bring it up. The Divine Soul and the Celestial Patron work together so well, and for Liam, the RP would be that he has learned a lot from his Patron, his Angel Guide, and now he's unlocking more power on his own. It just fits so well.

The only thing is, I'd want to do Warlock 6/Divine Soul 14. First, because at Warlock 6 he adds his Cha to Fire and Radiant damage, which I've been focusing on pretty big time. Second, because at Sorcerer 14, he gets angel wings, and I'd see that as a capstone.

Unfortunately, this would mean no 8th or 9th lvl spells. That's a big downside.

Also, the Blind Fighter is now a thing, which was Liam's original concept. I'd have to take a level of Fighter or two levels of Paladin, but they have a new Fighting Style "Blind Fighter", which makes it so that being unable to see a creature does not impose disadvantage on attacks against it unless they are actively hiding. If they'd had that when I made Liam, I likely would have made him Fighter 1, and then gone Warlock for the Angel Stuff. But I've kind of gone away from the whole "Blind Warrior" thing for him. I like that his Devil's Sight (ahem, Angel's Sight) replaced his normal vision.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'm rather averse to using UA material. It tends to be rather broken, and PBP isn't really a good playtest environment. I have heard some good things about the options, and am happy to allow them once they have become official.

If there is a particular spell you are wanting to switch out now because it isn't working, and in a PBP environment, waiting for the next level to do it would take too long, we can discuss that, but as a regular feature on long rests, not right now.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Hey everyone! Wanted to run something past you all and see what you thought.

It looks like we're basically down to 3 players (Mindra, Owyn, and Theramin). That's fine. We can run with that. But I'm also about to the end of the adventures I already had written and planned and am running things off the top of my head right now until I get a chance to sit down and plot properly :)

An idea that has been itching in my head lately is possibly ending this game and starting up an Eberron one. I love Eberron as a setting, and now it's basically complete for 5E. I figure we could start with the adventure in the book and move from there. I also have the 3E and 4E basic books, which have adventures, as well, if we wanted to use those instead, or continue with those. I believe the original 3E books had a series of linked adventures, even, continuing from the one in the sourcebook.

So I wanted to see what you guys thought: Continue running in the homebrew world, or switch over and roll up new characters for an Eberron campaign. I would also open it up to new players to join us, too.

tglassy

Adventurer
I’m actually here. There’s just not really been anything to do except slowly sneak up on each other. A couple times I almost had Liam just bowl ahead and get the party meet up over with, but I didn’t really have a lot of time anyway, so I didn’t mind not having much to do.

I wouldn’t mind an Eberron game. I’ve never really played in that setting. I’d like to try it out at some point, but let’s see what everyone else says.

Seems kinda sad, as this games been going on for 3 years. Assuming a level up after this adventure is over, we’re getting close to lvl 5, which is higher than most of my characters get on play by post. But ending at the end of the adventure is better than just letting it disappear, like many other games have.

Remove ads