Hyena and Hyaenodon

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's my first attempt at converting animals. Please let me know how they turned out.

Hyena
Medium-size Animal
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 13 (+3 Dex)
Attacks: Bite +5 melee
Damage: Bite 2d4+2 melee
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Trip
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +7, Listen +5, Move Silently +6, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse (bite)
Climate/Terrain: Warm plains
Organization: Pack (2-12)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4-5 HD (Medium-size)

Often confused as a canine, the hyena taunts enemies with its nervous, high-pitched howl.

Combat

Trip (Ex): A hyena that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the hyena.

Dire Hyena (Hyaenadon)
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (32 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 12 (-1 size, +3 Dex)
Attacks: Bite +5 melee
Damage: Bite 4d4+3 melee
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Trip
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +7, Listen +5, Move Silently +6, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse (bite)
Climate/Terrain: Warm plains
Organization: Solitary or Pack (2-12)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Medium-size)

Hyenadons are tougher, prehistoric ancenstors of the hyena.

Combat

Trip (Ex): A hyenadon that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the hyenadon.

psychognome

First Post
Originally posted by Shade
Often confused as a canine, the hyena taunts enemies with its nervous, high-pitched howl.
[B/]

I thought hyenas were canines...
Nicely done, although I don't see any dire need for hyenas, as according to the DM's Guide you can use wolves as hyenas. Still, a very good job! :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I thought they were canines too, but I did some research and found out that they are indeed, not canines:

From http://www.123spot.com/AnimalDirectory/hyenas.htm:

"There are 4 species of hyena (scientific name hyaenidae), the spotted, striped and brown hyena. The fourth is the aardwolf, which is considered by some not to be a species of hyena at all. Many people believe that the hyena is from the canine family, which is untrue. Hyenas are in fact closely related to meerkats, mongoose, civets, fossas and cats! Hyaenidae are found in Africa, South Western Asia, and India."

Thanks for the feedback. I converted them awhile back when I was doing a campaign involving alot of gnolls, who used to be associated with hyenas. I can't really see the dire lion/gnoll association that the Monster Manual recommends, so I converted the hyena and its bigger relative.

Frog Slime

First Post
Um... Hyaenodons are not related to hyenas, either. They were only named that because the paleontologists who discovered them thought the skull structure looked the same.

Krishnath

First Post
I think that's why he called it a Dire Hyena, and put Hyaenadon in brackets... Showing that the stats can be used to simulate either creature. At least thats how I interpit it ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
You both are correct. The hyaenodon is not an actual ancestor of the hyena, but the dire hyena stats should work for it. The main reason I kept them together is that most references to gnolls in previous editions of D&D linked them to both hyenas and hyaenodons at times.

Remove ads