• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I admit it...

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Not limited to videogamey players, but related to Push Button A syndrome: expecting available encounters to be engineered by the DM to be defeatable by the resources available to the players. Not all video games are oh so linear as that, but it is a very common failing in computer adventure games that, say, a 3rd level PC fights brown trolls, and when he is 6th level he is twice as powerful but fights red trolls that are also exactly as powerful.

Gothmog

First Post
ThoughtBubble said:
I think about my group (ex-group now) being far to videogamey often. Videogamey comes in different flavors, but most are tough and stringy. :D

Videogameyness comes out in the general expectation of a cool story, dramatic plot events, amazing battles and moral dilemmas without any work or choice of the part of the players. It typically comes about as a result of emulating the style found in RPG videogames (most notably the Final Fantasy series). Calling something videogamey is not a slight against those games, but rather, a categorization of this style.

For videogamey players, this comes out in a set of behavior I describe as "Pushing the A Button". At its base, this comes out where the player walks up to something, and expects it to run automatically. It also shows up in players who view NPCs as either obsticles or plot devices. Finally, there tends to be an expectation on the DM to characterize a character for the players.

With a videogamey DM, this tends to come out in a long, overarching plot with the fate of the world hanging in the balance. The plot is mapped out from day one. There tend to be many big, important, powerful NPCs. Often the NPCs tend to go around with the characters, and tend to be the driving factor in decisions. There are often "cutscenes" where the players have little to no control over what's happening, and this is often when all the important/dramatic stuff happens. Monsters have a tendancy to fight to the death in every encounter, and tend to use limited, if any, tactics. Most dungeons/areas have some sort of stronger "Boss Monster" in charge. The boss monster almost always is waiting in the room just before the goal.

I've been a videogamey DM, DMed for videogamey players, played with videogamey players, and played under videogamey DMs. In every situtation, whenever things got viedogamey, I got bored.

Wow ThoughtBubble, that is the best description of a videogamey RPG I have ever seen. Very well stated. Its also the reason I can't stand most CRPGs- they are too rigid, schlocky, and have the "bigger, badder, better" syndrome. IMO, very lame.

garyh

First Post
I was first exposed to fantasy games with Dragon Warrior 1 for the original NES, followed by the first Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda.

I'd like to think my gaming tastes have matured since then, but sometimes I still just get a hankerin' to save a princess or retrieve an orb for no reason other than the king told me to. :)

Arravis

First Post
And that style of "RPG" should stay in videogames. I can understand that the computer medium allows only so many options... but why anyone would choose to run their game in that style, is beyond me. In the end it is apples and oranges really. If anything, I always saw as videogame RPGs as the "training wheels" version of RPGs. Fewer ways for those involved to fall flat on their face.

Is it a fun and interesting thing... yes, to those that like it; is it at all like pen and paper RPG's? In no way at all.

Maybe I'm too big a fan of free-will and the ability to think outside the box.

I noticed that you mention in your first post that the plots can be as good... I have to disagree. Your decisions, as a player, are more or less discarded and you're left only with the decisions the game-makers wanted you to make. Those are the kinds of chains I'd rather not take on myself and I think, by definition, would lead to something that is inferior in experience.

Last edited:

Certainly something can be too video-gamey if video-gamey isn't what you want from an RPG. I like CRPGs well enough, but that doesn't mean I want my PnP games to play like one.

hong

WotC's bitch
francisca said:
I'd also like to add that many object to the idea of D&D being a sprint from one power-up to the another, despite the fact level-based play seems to lend itself very well to it.
Well, people are odd.

Having just pointed out that paradox, I count myslef among those who dislike that style of play in table top RPGs. But hey, if you and your game group enjoy that type of game, more power to you! Don't let some 30-something old grump (like me) tell you how to play the game.
I'm a 30-something old grump, and I say that nothing beats sprinting from one powerup to the next.

Hong "AND I'M GRUMPIER THAN YOU" Ooi

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Joshua Dyal said:
Certainly something can be too video-gamey if video-gamey isn't what you want from an RPG. I like CRPGs well enough, but that doesn't mean I want my PnP games to play like one.
I want my PnP games to have the free-flowing violence of Diablo, the moral complexity of Planescape: Torment, and the intricate plotting of Final Fantasy. I also wouldn't mind the stylish flair of Jade Empire, even if it isn't out yet.

People who burble on how video games are crap literally do not know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Arravis said:
I noticed that you mention in your first post that the plots can be as good... I have to disagree. Your decisions, as a player, are more or less discarded and you're left only with the decisions the game-makers wanted you to make. Those are the kinds of chains I'd rather not take on myself and I think, by definition, would lead to something that is inferior in experience.

What CRPGs have you played?

Remove ads