• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I admit it...

Davelozzi

Explorer
garyh said:
I was first exposed to fantasy games with Dragon Warrior 1 for the original NES, followed by the first Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda.

I'd like to think my gaming tastes have matured since then, but sometimes I still just get a hankerin' to save a princess or retrieve an orb for no reason other than the king told me to. :)

:D That's great, consider yourself sigged.

Gellion

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
No attempt to pigeonhole players in any kind of type, just to see what influences led to them having interest in D&D in the first place. It's quite possible that many people had multiple paths that could have led them in this direction, but certainly in my case that's not true. D&D, when I came across is in the very early 80s, was the chance to tell my own stories that were like the fantasy novels I was reading (and enjoying immensely) at the time.

Well, video games didnt really get me into P&P RPGs. Last summer, my older brother just asked me, "hey want to play Dungeons & Dragons with my friend?" I am not sure how long his friend had been playing, but i think he was pretty new too.

Last edited:

Xeriar

First Post
Gellion said:
I grew up on video game RPGs. I have noticed how a lot you here here often denounce games like the Final Fantasy series. Or just say something is too video-gamey. Well, i into D&D during 3E. So i have not been playing long. And i know my opinion of fantasy settings is influenced by many video games RPGs. The first ever video game RPG i ever played and beat myself was Final Fantasy 9. I am not sure how many of you here have ever played it, but to me, THAT was fantasy. With cities like Alexandria, and Lindblum, or even Treno, the city of the night. Or Terra, and the city of Bran Bal.

As others have stated I'm sure, the derision isn't because it's not fantasy, but because it's more of a story than a game.

Of course many find nothing wrong with stories especially since that's why many of us play these games with paper and dice (and their electronic equivelants).

Sometimes you will hear debate as to what exactly constitutes a role playing game. That's a bit hard to define, but what a lot of 'elitists' look for is the range of choices.

Final Fantasy IX, for example, has an awesome setting and a neat story, but other than the few optional bosses, the story is fairly linear.

To put a better way, in what an elitist may consider an RPG, the player would be able to stop the Queen before she went on her rampage... or fail, depending on his (or her :) decisions and the dice...

It's a bit more spontanious than a CRPG, and with a good GM, more tense than even the best of them. When you've invested years into a character, their life being on the line is more moving than any other game out there.

This is doubly true if said years are also invested in hating a set of enemies, and what a triumph can do for your mood :)

Last edited:

Gellion

First Post
Xeriar said:
To put a better way, in what an elitist may consider an RPG, the player would be able to stop the Queen before she went on her rampage... or fail, depending on his (or her :) decisions and the dice...

I will give you that one. But i always pick up on all of my DMs plot hooks anyway. And like some of you here have mentioned, you do not need to get together a group to play CRPGs. And, i love stories, i consider most video game RPGs, like FF9, sort of like interactive stories. Which i really like. :)

Last edited:

Xeriar

First Post
Gellion said:
I will give you that one. But i always pick up on all of my DMs plot hooks anyway. And like some of you here have mentioned, you do not need to get together a group to play CRPGs. And, i love stories, i consider most video game RPGs, like FF9, sort of like interactive stories. Which i really like. :)

Wing Commander really cashed in on this. Your successes and failures determined whether or not the Confederation won or lost the Vega sector.

Including one un-holy and nearly impossible mission, ugh. 'Mission 18' I think it was :)

With the rise in popularity of systems like OpenRPG and WebRPG, though, it's becoming easier not only to find groups, but -good- groups :)

Gellion

First Post
Xeriar said:
Wing Commander really cashed in on this. Your successes and failures determined whether or not the Confederation won or lost the Vega sector.

Including one un-holy and nearly impossible mission, ugh. 'Mission 18' I think it was :)

With the rise in popularity of systems like OpenRPG and WebRPG, though, it's becoming easier not only to find groups, but -good- groups :)

:)

ANother thing i like about games like FF, is the music. It is sort of hard to get good music in a P&P game. And to me, it just would not feel right to have music in a P&P game. I am listening to some FF9 Midis right now. :)

Xeriar

First Post
Gellion said:
:)

ANother thing i like about games like FF, is the music. It is sort of hard to get good music in a P&P game. And to me, it just would not feel right to have music in a P&P game. I am listening to some FF9 Midis right now. :)

Really? It takes some thought but it can be quite powerful.

Especially for roleplaying scenes, various gentle or haunting tunes can work very well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads