• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I also have the books [merged] (info on upcomming Power sources and more)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
This is a very quick skim through WyzardWhately but...

There are still Trained Skill specific abilities, such as: reducing falling damage and detect magic.

Can't see any astraljammers, but... Just since I love Sigil, thought might say there is a quick blurb about Sigil, it seems to exist between the planes and is like your classic Sigil, lots of portals (to all the planes and parts unknown), bustling metropolis, Lady of Pain.

I haven't looked at Skill Challenges or Economy yet.

Dyrvom

First Post
So as I understand it, there is one overall key ability for each class at level 1, and then a choice between two possible secondary abilities based on build options? What are the key abilities for each class?

Rechan

Adventurer
Fallen Seraph said:
Say Rechan in general as someone else with them, what you think so far?
I've mainly sunk my teeth into the MM. I'm kind've confused that some preview monsters we saw (Goblin Picanter, Shadow Demon, Bugbear Headhunter) are missing! I'm surprised that some monsters are the level they are. I'm confused that DB don't have a "Get wings" feat, but one of the DB in the MM have wings. Not enough traps IMHO (There should be a whole chapter on them :D). They put whole sections on fighting under water/in the air/mounts. I loves it.

You'd possibly have to plan out your campaign in advance, because the book is all over the map with regards to levels and monster groups.

As far as the PHB? I LOVE IT. I love the classes. And abilities. I want to play everything. I love orbs (They are so nasty). Layout is nice, but they could've moved the advancement table a little earlier. Still, the whole thing is SEXY.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I have to doubly agree on the layout, it doesn't melt your eyes like other books.

I noticed the air combat section, I haven't read it yet, but it definitely peeked my interest.

Oh and answer to a question:

Well, builds are simply suggestions. So they don't really impact your key abilities in that they change it, but they suggest what abilities to concentrate on if you go that route.

The Key Abilities are:

Cleric: Wisdom, Strength, Charisma
Fighter: Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom, Constitution (all fighters need strength, but the others can depend on weapons)
Paladin: Strength, Charisma, Wisdom
Ranger: Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom
Rogue: Dexterity, Strength, Charisma
Warlock: Charisma, Constitution, Intelligence
Warlord: Strength, Intelligence, Charisma
Wizard: Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity

I'm interested in what are the varieties of Yuan-Ti, is it more than just Purebloods, Halfbloods and Abominations?

Also with Eladrin, if the Bralani is a 19th level controller, what's a Ghaele compared to that? Are Fey-Knights also known as "Shieres"?

What is the highest level minion out of curiosity?

Destil

Explorer
My posts will be a bit of a stream of consciousness... I'm doing this as I go.

Like the art. Many of these spread pieces feel a lot like the better Eberron art, in a good way.

I almost skipped the 'What's a RPG' chapter, but I'm glad I skimmed it. Sidebar has the history of D&D, which makes me smile.

Wow, this is well organized. The newbie play example flows naturally out of the section I mentioned above, and then it gets into the core mechanic.
Roll a d20. "You want to roll high!"
Add all relevant modifiers
Compare to the target number

Very clean. The basic rules structure is spelled out in 3 points which will settle many Hypersmurf-worthy arguments:

Simple Rules, Many Exceptions
Specific Beats General
Allways Eound Down

(Haven't seen D&D's additive multiplication mentioned yet... that still in, anyone who's farther than me?)

Rechan

Adventurer
Be aware that the stats that Fallen Seraph mentions.

Primary Stat 1, Primary Stat 2, Secondary Stat that Would be Very Good to Have.

For example, a Paladin needs a good wisdom. A lot of his tricks depend on something there (like lay on hands depends on wisdom score).

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
I'm interested in what are the varieties of Yuan-Ti, is it more than just Purebloods, Halfbloods and Abominations?

Also with Eladrin, if the Bralani is a 19th level controller, what's a Ghaele compared to that? Are Fey-Knights also known as "Shieres"?

What is the highest level minion out of curiosity?
There are Malisans (3 types), Abomination, Anathema, Snaketongue (3 types, their humans who worship Zehir and are somewhat transformed).

Ghaele is a level 21 Artillery.

Fey-Knights don't appear to be called Shieres.

Minions highest level is Level 26 a "Lich Vestige" (I love the MM's back of book Monster by Level book).

Last edited:

Dyrvom

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
I have to doubly agree on the layout, it doesn't melt your eyes like other books.

I noticed the air combat section, I haven't read it yet, but it definitely peeked my interest.

Oh and answer to a question:

Well, builds are simply suggestions. So they don't really impact your key abilities in that they change it, but they suggest what abilities to concentrate on if you go that route.

The Key Abilities are:

Cleric: Wisdom, Strength, Charisma
Fighter: Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom, Constitution (all fighters need strength, but the others can depend on weapons)
Paladin: Strength, Charisma, Wisdom
Ranger: Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom
Rogue: Dexterity, Strength, Charisma
Warlock: Charisma, Constitution, Intelligence
Warlord: Strength, Intelligence, Charisma
Wizard: Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity

Thanks! Two questions though:
Fighters emphasize Wisdom?
Paladins are defenders and DON'T emphasize constitution?

Remove ads