I also have the books [merged] (info on upcomming Power sources and more)

RandomCitizenX

First Post
mneme said:
So we've seen hints that you can't stack bonuses from feats, but you can clearly stack them with other things (class abilities, weapon ability, stat bonuses, power results...).

So what -are- the stacking rules? I'd think it would be "you can't stack the same thing on top of itself" and nothing more, given the paucity of bonuses, but is there more to it? Is it "take the highest bonus of each type from your feats, plus all other bonuses"? Or what?

All the book says about stacking is that bonuses of the same type do not stack. Take the highest bonus of each type that you need and roll away.

MindWanderer

First Post
Xanaqui said:
Note that the continual re-roll on max result ends up being less than adding +1 to the mean of each roll. For example, doing this with a d6 gives a mean around 4.2 (instead of 3.5).
True, but if you're using a vorpal falchion with a power that does 7[W], you're looking at an extra 9 damage or so--plus the sheer visceral factor of getting to roll more d4's than most players even own (I know I'd have to buy some more).

Derren

Hero
Sorry if that has been asked before.

1. How does elemental resistance work in 4E? Like in 3E?
2. How easy is it to obtain elemental resistance?
3. Are the Succubus tactics still the same then in the preview and if yes has she a way to enforce that the charmed character stays next to her?
4. A small summary what rituals can do if that is not too much work.
5. Do monsters have any out of combat abilities or at least a line which says if/which rituals they can use?
6. How different are the playable monster versions from the real monsters?
7. Are there any real tactics you can use instead of just moving enemies a few squares?
8. Can every character trip or disarm or is that a fighter power?
9. What are the general advices about skill challenges?
10. Any advice of how to integrate power use into skill challenges (for example what if instead of rolling a skill a character uses a power to achieve the result)?
11. Any world building advice about how to make sense with all the "gameist" rules other than "Ignore it" or "Don't think about it"?
12. Do Skill DCs for skill challenges scale with the party level? Is there any difference between a challenge at level 2 compared to level 20?
13. Any obviously broken things?
14. How many "If you are bloodied you can do superattack X feats/abilities are there and how good is the combo value of them?

If some (all) of that question have already been answered please link the post.
Thanks.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Do the 4e skills have "trained only" uses like SWSE? I can't remember if this has been answered already or not. Sorry if it has.

Oompa

First Post
Derren said:
Sorry if that has been asked before.

1. How does elemental resistance work in 4E? Like in 3E?
From the PHB, lvl 10 wizard utility:
Effect: Against a particular damage type chosen by you, the
target gains resistance equal to your level + your Intelligence
modifier until the end of the encounter or for 5
minutes. Choose the damage type from the following list:
acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, poison, psychic,
radiant, or thunder.

2. How easy is it to obtain elemental resistance?
An minor action to get effect from above

3. Are the Succubus tactics still the same then in the preview and if yes has she a way to enforce that the charmed character stays next to her?
The same and i couldnt find if the pc stayed, but i think he does.

4. A small summary what rituals can do if that is not too much work.
see the las excerpt

5. Do monsters have any out of combat abilities or at least a line which says if/which rituals they can use?
I can only find monsters that are summoned by rituals, not monsters that use them, there is an box about how to become an lich

6. How different are the playable monster versions from the real monsters?
?

7. Are there any real tactics you can use instead of just moving enemies a few squares?
Enemies have abilities that can shift, push, slide you or teammates, they have abilities that can do great damage or use some sort of magic

8. Can every character trip or disarm or is that a fighter power?
Rogue and Fighter, offcourse, multiclassing is always an option, couldnt find anything about disarm

9. What are the general advices about skill challenges?
?

10. Any advice of how to integrate power use into skill challenges (for example what if instead of rolling a skill a character uses a power to achieve the result)?
I think dm's discretion

11. Any world building advice about how to make sense with all the "gameist" rules other than "Ignore it" or "Don't think about it"?
?

12. Do Skill DCs for skill challenges scale with the party level? Is there any difference between a challenge at level 2 compared to level 20?
Don't know, but an level 2 trap shouldnt be any problem for an level 20 i think

13. Any obviously broken things?
not that i know

14. How many "If you are bloodied you can do superattack X feats/abilities are there and how good is the combo value of them?
don't know yet

If some (all) of that question have already been answered please link the post.
Thanks.

ok?

RigaMortus2

First Post
pukunui said:
Do the 4e skills have "trained only" uses like SWSE? I can't remember if this has been answered already or not. Sorry if it has.

Not that I have seen. Each class starts off with one or two free skills, then can usually pick 3 or 4 more of their choice. After that, you can pick Skill Training and select any skill you want, and it doesn't have to be from your starting list either...

Derren

Hero
Oompa said:

1. I rather wanted to know if the resistances work like in 3E (subtract the number from every attack) or like thresholds (subtract it if the damage is lower than the resistance, otherwise its full damage) or like the Star Wars shield rules, etc.

2. Is there any other ability to get elemental resistances, for example with magical items?

6. I assume that "?" means you didn't understand the question.
I wants to know how much the "PC Gnome" differs from the "monster gnome" (Same for all other MM monsters with PC rules)

7. And is there any way to exploit those shifts and pushes? Or are they just to create the illusion of tactical combat while they don't serve much of a purpose besides very basic ones?

9. Any advice in the DMG about how much the players should decide when a skill challenge starts? For example when the PCs want to break into a castle, how much planning should they do before the skill challenge starts?

10. I take that as no.

11. You know, any DMG advice on how to explain "You cure everything in 8 hours rest" and "Circles are squares" to the players who care about those things.

12. That was more aimed at those general "Lets replace planning/roleplaying" skill challenges instead of traps or other things in a combat encounter.

Last edited:

That One Guy

First Post
Baka no Hentai said:
That makes sense. Follow-up question, is there simply one "Passive Perception" skill, or is there a Passive Spot and Passive Listen?

Additionally, does the DMG give any guidance as to around when these checks should take place?
Perception is Search/Spot/Listen in one skill. Passive Perception = 10 + Perception. They oppose hidden things (like doors/traps/passages) and set a DC for stealthed characters. An active perception check can be made to specifically look for something 1D20 + Perception old school style.

I hope that helps.

pukunui

Legend
RigaMortus2 said:
Not that I have seen. Each class starts off with one or two free skills, then can usually pick 3 or 4 more of their choice. After that, you can pick Skill Training and select any skill you want, and it doesn't have to be from your starting list either...
Thanks, but that's not really the answer I was looking for. Star Wars breaks each skill into a bunch of different uses, some of which are "trained only", meaning that you have to have that skill as a known skill in order to attempt that use. Uses of a skill that don't have the "trained only" tag are things that anyone can attempt to do regardless of whether or not it's a known skill.

As an example, the Star Wars Acrobatics skill includes balancing, crossing difficult terrain, escaping from bonds, reducing falling damage, tumbling, and a few other things. Anyone can attempt to balance or escape their bonds with a successful Acrobatics check, but only characters who have Acrobatics as a known skill can attempt to Tumble or reduce falling damage.

Are the 4e skills like that at all?

What I'm getting at is: what do the 4e skills allow you to do?

Remove ads