D&D 5E I apologize over my reaction to FR canon changes

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Human beings are a collection of personal perceptions over their experiences throughout the history of their lives.

Anyone who spends a lot of time doing something expects it to remain the way they've done it, since it always has. It becomes a part of your identity, intentionally or not. Even if it's only a small portion of who you consider yourself to be, it's been woven into your life for years, decades in some cases, and shaped your sense of self and position in reality in whatever myriad minor ways that it has.

Whether that's lore mastery, political ideology, religious belief, relationships, sports teams, trivia, or job training. The second people challenge that aspect of yourself, no matter how trivial, there's an inherent instinct to defend that aspect of the identity you've created for yourself.

Some things drift. Some things change. People slip into different beliefs as new experiences change them, and sometimes have to let go of the past in an incredibly painful way because when you leave that thing behind it has still shaped you, still left it's mark.

There's still a food that you love because someone who is no longer in your life introduced you to it. A Musical Style or artist. A specific laugh. A particular time of day to sip on a hot drink and look out at the world. Because someone who is gone from your life made that a part of who you are. The smell of a specific scent will make you think of them, and your heart will ache for a moment, and you'll move on.

For people like us, for whom D&D is an aspect of our identity, seeing that relationship change can be just as heartbreaking as losing someone we love.

Thanks, Henadic.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Glad to see that you’ve recognized your relationship to the setting was unhealthy and are doing some introspection to figure out the root cause. It takes a big person just to consciously recognize these issues, let alone admit to them and make apologies. While we may never agree on the importance of canon (or lack thereof), I have great respect for the self-awareness and willingness to improve you’re displaying here.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I admit while still don't think the way they handling FR canon is a positive change, my reaction wasn't cool, I should not have called for people to be fired, or gotten so emotional over it, so I apologize.

It has occurred to me lately that I need to ask myself why I've become so invested emotionally in settings and what I'm not dealing with.

I've found that there is little worse than the feeling of powerlessness. I think that a lot of people (myself included) struggle with that- and current conditions (pandemic, general craziness) just add to that terrible feeling.

Here, because there are these changes you don't like, you are trying to get that sense of control back, even if it's in an unhealthy way. Some people hit Amazon and buy stuff, some people lash out at FR canon changes. :)

Maybe. Maybe that's it.

I can say that one thing that has helped me immensely during these times is trying to affect positive change locally; whether it's giving time, or money, to local causes and organizations so that I can see the good that it does.

There's a lot of crazy going on and it affects us all, even when we don't realize it.

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
I admit while still don't think the way they handling FR canon is a positive change, my reaction wasn't cool, I should not have called for people to be fired, or gotten so emotional over it, so I apologize.

It has occurred to me lately that I need to ask myself why I've become so invested emotionally in settings and what I'm not dealing with.
We are not the people you should be apologizing to. You should be apologizing to whoever made the canon changes for the Forgotten Realms. I for one support the changes, by the way.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Could be that it’s a product of how real experiences are, and how our brains don’t really distinguish between an event in a game and an event in real life. You slew the dragon. Your attachment to Silverymoon and it’s denizens from that campaign 20 years ago is real. They just happened and matter in a different context than that time you almost got run off the freeway by a sleepy commuter.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Your passion is commendable. Your reaction may have been quite strong, but you have always been polite and your point was well articulated. We all get emotive about something other people will find strange. For example, I feel personally attacked by the 5e's Arcane Archer because its really bad and it was the first character build my brother and I experienced with when we were younger (Dark Alliance 1 and Neverwinter Night). My brother killed itself 4 years ago and I just can get myself to even look at the arcane archer from XGtE! Its pretty weird, but emotions are a chaotic (neutral) mess, its hard to make sense of them. :p

Bolares

Hero

Good on you to recognize that. We all get carried away sometimes (even moreso this last two years). takes a big person to look at their actions and try to improve on it.

Remove ads