I don't get the dislike of alignment as a character-building concept

Elf Witch

First Post
If we took out every mechanic that brought games to a screeching halt we would be left with very few of them.

I have seen more rules arguments on the five foot step and grappling then I have even seen on alignment. I hate the five foot step so much that in my games I house rule it out.

Any time you but in any kind of morality mechanic in a game it is not going to work for everyone and there is a good chance that people may have trouble coming to a consensus.

But that does not make it a bad mechanic. I and others feel that it adds to our games and if they took it out I would put right back in as a house rule.

If you don't want to use it then don't take it out of your game or hand wave it and use it just for items.

As for the disagreements it is really simple discuss how the alignment works in the DMs world come up with a description that everyone understands and move on. Even if one player does not necessarily agree does not mean it can't work. It is like any other rule you may not always agree with it but if the majority and the DM like it you either just accept it or don't play.

One of my players hates that I took out the five foot step but not enough to quit the game he accepts that this is a house rule we use.

Lie I have said in the 30 years I have been playing we have never found the alignment rule to be a game breaker for us. We have never had a player quit over it or acrimonious fights over it. Sure we have had lively debates in character or over beers after a game.

Since some people do have issues with alignment I wish they had a module kind of mechanic for it one that you could drop in your game if you wanted and or ignore if you don't.

Remove ads