D&D 5E "I House Ruled Aspects of 5E or Chose to Use Options from the DMG Before I'd Ever Played or Run 5E" (a poll)

"I House Ruled Aspects of 5E or Chose to Use Options from the DMG Before I'd Ever Played or Run 5E"

• True.

Votes: 35 47.9%
  • False.

Votes: 38 52.1%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
For this one, let's assume you are a DM who either has full say on these kinds of choices or has a group that is willing to at least try whatever houserules/options you suggest for a few sessions. . .

Other than that, simple premise: True or False: "I House Ruled Aspects of 5E or Chose to Use Options from the DMG Before I'd Ever Played or Run 5E" in other words just from reading (or reading about) the rules.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yep, for my first game I used flanking rules from the DMG, and modified how two-weapon fighting worked, based on commentary from this forum.

I didn't actually run 5e till about 2016, so I had time to absorb a lot of initial concerns around 5e's play.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
First time I played or ran “5e” was the open playtest, so house ruling was counter-productive. When the final version of the rules released, I wanted to try them out as-written first, just as I had done with all the playtest stuff. And the DMG wasn’t out yet, so those options weren’t available.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Hm. So when I first ran 5e it was for kids I was teaching D&D to, so I ran it strictly by the book (or at least that was my intent - who knows what accidental rules I pulled over from 3e and 4e because I just assumed they were there).

When I first ran 5e for my regular table we used the faster resting rules and have continued to use them. And I don't know if it's really a house rule but I generally make the difficulty of encounters harder than the standard recommended value because that's how my players like it. And we stopped tracking XP in 3e and have just been doing milestone leveling, so that continues into 5e.

G

Guest 7034872

I always want to learn a system first before making any hard judgments about it. I learned this lesson long ago: if all I've got are theoretical data, I haven't got much yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I started running 5E during the D&D Next playtest period, and the packets we got were very bare-bones. So I guess I never ran D&D 5E without "houserules"? Like, there weren't even full classes available, so we had to make up everything...

I'm honestly not sure how to answer this poll.

Remove ads