D&D 5E "I House Ruled Aspects of 5E or Chose to Use Options from the DMG Before I'd Ever Played or Run 5E" (a poll)

"I House Ruled Aspects of 5E or Chose to Use Options from the DMG Before I'd Ever Played or Run 5E"

• True.

Votes: 35 47.9%
  • False.

Votes: 38 52.1%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ok, since the poll as "before" I'd ever play, I had to vote FALSE.

When my older group first started 5E four years ago, I saw a LOT of stuff I didn't like rule-wise, but we all agreed to play the first "adventure" (to 5th level) completely RAW with no house-rules or variants.

After those first few months, we had a better understanding of the game and its design intent and could house-rule it. I've house-ruled it back and forth (extensively to barely) so many times now I've honestly lost track.

Greg K

Legend
I haven't run as of yet. However, when I am physically able to run, some things that I will be including are
1. Slower leveling after the party reaches 5th level
2. Third Edition night vision and dark vision
3. Rich Howard's Ultimate Adaptibility variant humans to replace both the default human and variant human
4. Khaalis's Light Armor Fighter and accompanying subclasses
5. Agenderarcee's Martial Ranger to replace the PHB rangers
6. some additional third party classes
7. Critical hits: The first die is maximum and roll only the second.
8. A smaller general base list of shared cleric spells that better fits the world that I run

I do still need to both figure out how I want to handle the Priests of specific campaign deities and revise the sorcerer and wizard base spell lists to better fit the campaign.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Way back when I was trying to imporve my ability to draw characters with the fairly new (at the time) How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way. Lots of good advice in there both on basics and on drawing characters.

There was a discussion about how many heads tall your average person is, vs. how many heads tall a hero or villain is in order to make them feel larger than life.

Then they went on to draw The Thing, my second favorite right behind Spidey. Who is nowhere near the right number of heads tall to seem heroic by this guideline. But that doesn't stop The Blue-Eyed, Everloving Thing from being heroic in stature.

What they said was: You need to understand the rules and why they are in place before you can break them successfully.

So I've played D&D straight by RAW every time a new edition came out. So I could legitimately understand how the rules hang together before modifying them.

Yaarel

He Mage
I consider variant races to be a setting choice that doesnt conflict with core rules.

In that context, I voted true.

Also creating new spells, backgrounds, magic items, are setting. But these were done later.

Stormonu

Legend
As I recall, the only thing I planned to incorporate was my old Critical hit/Fumble rule from previous editions. Beyond that, ran it pretty straight over a year before I felt I was familiar enough with it to start modifying in.

Now I have a 200+ page document of changes and things ported over from prior editions.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Wait wait wait wait.

Hold your friggin' horses, pardner.

I voted 'false.' This is not the least-popular choice. It is winning. Something is wrong here. I'm supposed to be the guy with the unpopular opinions about 5e.

teitan

Legend
It’s essentially true for everyone when you consider what is listed as an optional rule. Things like “race” are considered optional and making a decision like “not using feats” is a house rule before even playing the game. So… it should be 100% true. And then there are all those videos that say “you don’t need the DMG”.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Wait wait wait wait.

Hold your friggin' horses, pardner.

I voted 'false.' This is not the least-popular choice. It is winning. Something is wrong here. I'm supposed to be the guy with the unpopular opinions about 5e.
Hey, you can't be on the outs all the time.

FWIW, this is TWICE we've agreed. Man, I hope this isn't the start of a trend... :confused: ;)

Remove ads