• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I love D&D!

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I love RPGs and particularly fantasy RPGs.
The name D&D has no special meaning there beyond historic significance.

Yes and no, BryonD. D&D will also have this special place in my heart for being my first contact with this hobby. And 26 years of experience have shown that it has a certain quality, almost all other RPGs lack: we'll come back to it any time we've spend some time with other games.

Oh, the other game with this quality is Call of Cthulhu. You just can't get enough of ol' tentacles... :cool:

Maybe I don't love D&D as I love my wife, but I love it as an old, reliable friend.

BryonD

Hero
Yes and no, BryonD. D&D will also have this special place in my heart for being my first contact with this hobby. And 26 years of experience have shown that it has a certain quality, almost all other RPGs lack: we'll come back to it any time we've spend some time with other games.
What quality is that?
The only one you seem to describe in any way is "being my first contact". And I 100% agree there. That falls under the historic significance.
So what is the "no" part in your response?

I don't think there is any intrinsic mechanical quality that OD&D through 4E all share AND all other games (with or without CoC included) somehow lack.
The non-mechanical qualities they share is the tie to that first contact. And there is a lot of value there.
But while fond memory is pleasant, I'd rather play a game with the mechanical chops I demand, regardless of what name is hung on it. I like having my cake and eating it too. I recall the greatness of D&D, and play an even better game.....

Stormtalon

First Post
I have mucho love for D&D as well!

Although, being the "sure-the-glass-is-half-full-but-it's-all-arsenic" sorta person, I can't help but worry that this thread is going to end up like unprotected overexposure to the Positive Energy Plane -- lots of overhealing and then....

*KABOOOOOM!!*

;)

Mircoles

Explorer
3449932071_a1e07972c3.jpg

Singing Smurf

First Post
Last weekend, I nearly wiped out my players with tentacled horrors from beyond space and time.

This weekend, my fighter slays werewolves while slowly turning into a wraith.

Life is good, for it has much D&D in it.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
What quality is that?
The only one you seem to describe in any way is "being my first contact". And I 100% agree there. That falls under the historic significance.
So what is the "no" part in your response?

Guess I have to aspologize for this less than clear post. Apparently I was a bit hypoglycemic yesterday.:eek:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads