I NEED continual flame, help!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Greetings

Our party has been adventuring underground for a long time now (not our idea, we are kinda stuck there) and I've realised that we are going to run out of lighsources soon... A few more days, and all our oil and torches and sunrods will have run out.

Now, as a 6th level cleric, I can sort of provide 24 hours a day ilumination by memorising several double and tripple -extended light spells. Doing so would use all my 2nd and 3rd level spells... not a good thing.

The way to avoid this pickle would be to use a continual light spell... problem is, we don't have any rubbies (you need 50 gp's worth of rubby dust).

Can anyone think of a way for me to get the spell going without the material component? Or any other way to generate light? Thank you in advance.

Ancalagon

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Scrolls only.

To give more details, my PC has (as "magical feats" go) scribe scrolls and extend spells. He has access to the domain of protection and destruction (not much help there).

Ancalagon

HeavyG

First Post
Are you really near to 7th level ?

Because then I could help you...

Summon Monster IV - Lantern Archon - Continual Flame as a spell-like ability. Could create 7 light-generating items.

or Lesser Planar Ally - same thing

if not,

Locate Object - Try to find some fuel or a ruby

Edit - Of course, Summon Monster requires a candle, which could become ironic real fast. :)

Last edited:

Do you have any ranks in Profession (Miner)? :D

Seriously, you might try and see if there are any other sentient creatures who mine that are around your area. Other than that, I can't see any way to get ruby dust without actually going to a store and buying it.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
You should have no trouble finding this component in any larger town or city. Go there and have each party member caugh up the cash and get the ruby dust. Make one item for each member and you're done. Perhaps buy a few more components worth just in case you need them.

As a DM, I usually do not deny this kind of component to my spellcasters, as long as they can pay for it, unless it is for a definite in game reason such as a hook for an adventure. Take, for example, the identify spell which requires a pearl of at least 100gp in value. As long as they keep parting with their hard-earned gold, they can identify their magic items. My spellcasters always bring enough components that cost money. They know I will require it of them.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
A few clarification:

We are underground for an undefinite period of time, unexpectedly and not by choice (ie, "stuck"). We cannot go up to resuply.

As for "why didn't you buy some in advance", well, since I only had about 250 gp to begin with (yes, at level 6)...

Ancalagon

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Ancalagon said:
... I only had about 250 gp to begin with (yes, at level 6)...

Ancalagon
Well, close to level 7, it seems, so you can do that archon trick soon, at least... :Cool:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Yes, that is a very neat trick, and I can't see any way the DM could deny it to me... I will also have the tongue spell at that level so I can tell the archon what I want, I have a few spare candles for emergencies (or this :D ), a follower of St-Cuthbert should be able to sumon an archon...

Problem is, can I last long enough until I go up to level 7? only about 1500 xp to go, and we just did 2 combat intensive sessions.... will we get a breather and get to level up? We will see...

Keep the ideas coming!

Ancalagon

fba827

Adventurer
Hmm

Couple points:
* start rationing torches/oil! :) rather than illuminating the entire aea around them, just have the lead character carry a torch and just hope those with good listen skills can hear any scuffling that approaches from the sides/rear
* any phospherenscent moss growing on the walls? :) (it's not mining for rubies, it's gardening for moss! :)
* perhaps rather than creating light you look for ways to reduce penalties for darkness (darkvision spell? though I think that's a wiz/sor thing; or a wildshaped druid into a bat or other such creature; or polymorph for that matter into a similiar said creature)
* Not necessarily likly, but if a good portion of the group has darkvision already then have one lead the group and the other bring up the rear with the others who can't see in the middle.
*druid in the group that can wildshape into a bat or something? :)
* bribing the DM :D

Remove ads