I think they got what they wanted

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
Even if Black Flag is only an SRD (and it's not clear to me whether it'll be a full game beyond that, since a 5E-compatible SRD would allow Kobold Press to keep chugging along in perpetuity).
IMO, it doesn't make much sense to produce a "Black Flag Rulebook" until the existing 5e one becomes hard to find. At that point, you want one just to make sure there's something for new players to keep the game going.

Unless, of course, a large number of existing players make it clear they would happily buy it anyway.

mamba

Legend
The only way this can not go their way is if there were much more backlash and WotC released an irrevocable 1.0b as a result, or if Paizo shows that 1.0a is irrevocable in court.

Since the latter will take a while, this kills the 3pp market, but it might restart after that. Not sure at that point that is not a self-own by Paizo however.

Long term, I am not sure that is not a loss for WotC however, they basically killed off the one thing that made them special / the center of the ecosystem. Now nothing is holding them centered there except inertia

Mercurius

Legend
Oh, I've stopped giving any weight whatsoever to the creative team in all of this. "They" is Hasbro/WotC corporate, and they view the D&D team as a factory they own that outputs stuff.
Yes, agreed. But we know the smaller "they" is still there, and to be honest, I feel for them. Must be a hard place to be in. I do wonder if we're going to see an exodus at some point. Probably not, as they've still got it pretty good, but it could happen.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Not so long as they wanted to keep it compatible with 5e. So long as they did that, anything that was published to be compatible with 5e would also work with OneD&D.
Correct. Which is why the "de-authorize the OGL 1.0a" stuff emerged. It will go nowhere in the end -- and we will be back with a 6e that, consequently, isn't really compatible with 5e - but it looks like it mostly is for marketing purposes. The designers of 6e will be tasked with breaking it just enough that it won't actually work well with 5e.

A D&D Rule system designed by lawyers!??! This is the moment I have been training for all of my life!

Dreamscape

Crafter of fine role-playing games
I think they they wanted to chase away those too strong for them to control (this succeeded), while retaining the hobbyists willing to provide free labor for D&D.

It is the later point they now likely are afraid they might not achieve. A platform without creators is doomed, and they know it.
They still have DMs Guild which does exactly what they want without the OGL - full control over content, a very high cut, locking products into their platform. Basically a textbook predatory contract, but it seems to attract quite a high number of creators who just want to produce things for their favourite settings (just like all those other DTRPG community programmes).

No. They have not gotten what they wanted....yet.

I think the want to gut the RPG companies and at least lessen all the smaller outfits.

They can't really "stop" D&D compatible content, as much as they want too. It's a Gray area but for close to 50 years other companies have made "D&D compatible content". Things can be made "not using D&D words" easy enough. Plus there is the huge danger of if WotC goes to court....they might loose: The court might rule against everything WotC wants.

Plus, there is the sneaky bit: A company can release content to buy "D&D rules free".....then release the D&D rule content online for free. Anyone can release free 'fan' content.

So, no...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
In sum, I think onednd will be broadly acceptable to people looking to get into dnd.
Well, it will be D&D so it stands to reason people interested in D&D will start there. People new to the scene won’t know about all this nonsense leading up to it.
The viral backlash is real, and I do think long term wotc is misunderstanding both the function of third parties and the appeal of ttrpgs vs other media.
That’s the one that baffles me. Their official content is no where near as good as 3PP and they literally cannot keep up with the output of all the 3PP out there. So their players will quickly tire of the trickle of substandard dreck they get access to on their platform. Unless WotC’s big hope was either everyone signed on or everyone went out of business and came to them asking for jobs.
Medium term, it's a viable plan (even if cynical and soulless.)
I don’t think it is. It’s not even a good short-term plan. Alienate the community. Ask outrageous prices. And produce a tiny trickle of at best mediocre content. I don’t see the up side here.

Remove ads