(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The Colonel downed one of the hill giants with his flying trident and threw the other a few steps back with lighting. Smoldering, it tried to follow him as he retreated, but was intercepted by Kaligan. Kaligan managed a shallow stab to its thigh before the chair smashed into him driving him on the defensive. Gimlak spiked the mind of the remaining hill giant with little effort, then warned the others of the open door. The giant dropped its chair and held its head, and Doc walked up and shot it in the chest, and it fell to the floor with a loud thump.

The Colonel had told Donnel to "get in there". The lad hesitated. Get in where? The dwarf's black bubble of darkness blocked the path to the door and was eating people! He raised his bow and aimed for the darkness, trying to visualize where the door might be, imagining a giant standing there. He hesitated, and Duvrael charmed an orc, who crossed the floor and yelled to the door, ::We burned da bread! Dat's a cloud o'smoke blockin' the door. Stay back, weez gonna blow it up da chimney!::

The ruse seemed to work for a moment, then the giant slowly said, ::Hoos dat talkin' den? Shur don't smell like smoke!::

So Donnell let his arrow fly. Though he had made careful aim, the arrow struck heavy armour. The giant rushed forward, moving through Gimlak's darkness. By the time the giant was through, he had been chewed on by the horrible creatures within, and was enraged. He raised a great axe overhead - much better armed than the usual hill giant - and would have made quick work of Donnell, had it not been for Kahru's wolf, who leaped forward and took the blow, sacrificing itself with a pained howl.

OOC: Colonel killed HGS3 and did 10 to HGS2. Kaligan did 6 to HGS2, and took 9 from a chair. Gimlak did 4 to HGS2 & Doc killed HGS2. HoH did 7 to HGGuard, who did 31 to DWolf1 (killing it). I will be back later to post a round-roller.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Steading Kitchen & Servant's Mess Hall
G2Kitchen7.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Barrels & Tables; Visibility: Dim (Braziers); Cover: Tables
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells (Etc) * (Notes)
(PCs)
Colonel AC19* HP 34/66 THP 0/13 HD 9/9 PP19* SSdc18 3/4 1/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 CD 2/2
Doc AC14 HP 83/84 THP 0/13 HD 9/9 PP20 SSdc16 1/2 Wls 2/4 Crs 1/1 PL 4/4 Wsp 1/1
Duvrael AC12(15) HP 44/56 THP 0/13 HD 9/9 PP15* SSdc17 2/4 1/3 2/3 3/3 1/1
Gimlak AC17 HP 68/68 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP12* SSdc17 4/4 2/3 3/3 2/3 1/1 SP 8/12
Kahru AC15 HP 83/83 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP16 SSdc14 4/4 3/3 2/3 WS 1/2 Rg 3/3 Stf 5/7
xKahru-Bear AC12 HP 42/42
Kaligan AC18* HP 76/76 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP14 PD 8/8 DT 1/1 TK 1/1 AS 1/1 2W 1/1 ID 1/1
(NPCs)
Donnell AC19* HP29/29 THP 0/13 HD 4/4 AS 1/1 2W 0/1
Hiss AC13 HP 2/2 PP10* ts10'
DireWolf1 HP 29/37
DireWolf2 HP 33/37
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs - Kitchen)
Hill Giant Sergeant AC16 HP115/115 PP12
HG Chef AC13 HP 0/125 PP12 (dead)
HGS1 (Wife) AC11 HP 0/59 PP8 (dead)
Orogs AC12 HP42ea PP10* (dead)
Orcs AC11 HP15ea PP10* (the rest dead)
-O7 15/15 (surrendered); O8 15/15 (surrendered);
(BGs - Servant's Mess)
Hill Giant Schlub AC11 HP59ea PP8
-HGS2 26/59; HGS3 8/59
(BGs - Outside)
Dire Wolves AC14 HP37ea PP13(18)*
-DW3 37/37; DW4 37/37; DW5 37/37;
Young Dire Wolf AC13 HP22/22 PP12(17)*
GM: End Round Six; Begin Round Seven

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: I forgot to mention for Kahru - he did not find anything particularly valuable, but he knows the smell of rum when he finds it. The four barrels he is in front of are rum barrels, one is open with a large ladle.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Get up through the north door, t’ next room“ Kahru bellowed his command to the surviving wolf and surrendered orcs, also hoping that the squire and others had the presence of mind to retreat with them.
The death yowl of the slain wolf echoed in Kahrus belly and the druid focussed his fury down into the ground until the erupting earth churned up beneath the giant guardsman’s feet.

Gimlaks hungry shadow might be a trap for any attackers, but it was also restricted the freedom of the defenders. Withdrawing to the room north would allow them to barricade the door and space to regroup and recover. The broken ground left behind would hinder any who tried to follow them.

Moreover the druid knew that it was dire wolves that lurked outside the door, beyong Gimlaks shadows and even if they aligned with the giants, Kahru did not believe they deserved the cruel sting of the shadows unnatural horrors.

His intention was to find a way to approach the dire wolves from the rear, befriend them if he could
or at least open the gate and offer them freedom…

but first they had to get through the northern door

OOC: Action: Cast Erupting Earth centered under the Giant Sgt (T38-U39) DC 14 for half damage. 20’ cube difficult terrain.
Erupting Earth damage: 3D12 = [6, 6, 2] = 14
A fountain of churned earth and stone erupts in a 20-foot cube centered on a point 120ft range. Each creature in that area must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d12 bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Additionally, the ground in that area becomes difficult terrain

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Knowledge is power, Duvrael thinks to himself as he remembers betraying his yuan ti brethren so long ago in order to study magic and advance his personal power. He takes a bit of bat fur out of his bandoleer, rubs it between his thumb and forefinger while intoning the relevant arcane phrases from the late Master Norriander's hide-bound tome on divinations.

Just like the first time he had cast it, nothing seems to happen. Then the wizard mentally receives visual information from a small, invisible floating eye further in the room, which takes some effort to process alongside his regular vision.

Moving up to the northern room, Duvrael has to focus on not tripping over the dead bodies and the very much alive dire wolf, as well as not mixing the two images of the same room, but he manages to reach the doors.

OOC: Casting Arcane Eye, which creates an invisible sensor at U-35 for as long as I concentrate (up to 1 hour). On consequent turns, I can spend an Action to move the sensor up to 30 feet, and I intend to move it through the Hunger of Hadar and outside to take a peek at who/whatever is coming.

As this is a divination spell, it means I regain a lower-level spell slot (Expert divination), which I have processed in the stats below.

Then I move up to my speed to U-28.

Duvrael AC15*(+5) HP 44/56 THP 0/13 HD 9/9 PP15* SSdc17 2/4 1/3 3/3 2/3 1/1 P 4,17
Reaction readied: Shield spell (AC +5) when attacked with an attack or with magic missile.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Karhu left temptation behind when his wolf fell, instead ordering a sensible retreat. As Duvrael made his way toward the living wolf, it left its chew-toy behind and bounded toward the northern room. Donnell also retreated, hustling over to the Colonel's side, where he belonged.

Duvrael sent his eye through Gimlak's blackness - a sobering experience - and out the doors into the courtyard. It was dark under cloud-covered skies, and the only potential opponents he saw were the four dire wolves. While the wolves were curious, their heads up and ears perked at the sounds in the kitchen, three of the floor were still seated, as if they had no plans to enter the kitchen without express permission.

Inside, Kahru caused the dirt floor of the kitchen to erupt, sending a shower of dirt and rocks up under the giant's armour, pummelling his groin. The giant stumbled and grunted in pain.

OOC: Is Kahru retreating too or covering the retreat? Earth does 14 to HGSgt.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Gimlak reached into this new Giant's mind and attempts at interfering at his plans. He also mentally tries to push it back into the darkness, if not partially, before also moving to the north room.

OOC: Action: cast Tasha's mind whip on the giant. Int Save DC 17 or 7 psychic damage and it can’t take a reaction until the end of its next turn. Moreover, on its next turn, it must choose whether it gets a move, an action, or a bonus action; it gets only one of the three. On a successful save, the target takes half as much damage and suffers none of the spell’s other effects.

Bonus action: telekinetic shove on giant - push 5ft away from Gimlak (hoping to have him touch the darkness) - Strength save dc 16

move: to P32 (difficult terrain from fallen enemies taken into account

reaction: cast silvery barbs if giant succeeds on tasha's mind whip save

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kahru snarled in satisfaction when the giant stumbled, though it didnt fall as the druid had hoped.

He watched as the wolf and others moved towards the north door, covering their retreat and ready to follow when he was sure everyone was safely pass the rum barrels...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Gimlak found messing with the giant's head was much easier than moving his body. The giant refused to be shoved back into the darkness, and instead, it stumbled toward him, its feet caught up in Kahru's rocks, and the bodies of the dead.

::Geddowda my head!:: the armoured giant bellowed through gritted teeth.

OOC: Gimlak did 7 psychic. HGSgt only moved. Kaligan, Colonel, and Doc to go!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I will remain and hold the door until the others are past him into the north room. If the giant comes to me I will attack it.

OOC: I'm readying an action to attack the giant if it comes within range of me.

Remove ads