(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Done with the wolves, Kahru moved to the door to the outbuilding and planted his staff in the dirt in front of the door. The staff grew roots, and then branches that reached toward the night sky. It grew until it stood thirty feet tall, its branches hanging over the outbuilding's rooftop.

When that was done, it seemed time to try the east-wing door.

OOC: Anything you'd like to do before trying the door, post away (Other than Kahru!).

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: The Colonel can use Thaumaturgy to open the door, if that helps; alternately, if we like the bottleneck, he can cause earth tremors and see if anyone comes out.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Having raised his tree, Kahru stood back and looked at his handiwork. A few things stood out as not quite to his satisfaction: 1) As it turned out, the outbuilding's doors opened inward. 2) The tree's trunk was only three feet wide (though the lower branches also obscured the doorway), while the doors were ten feet wide. A giant might struggle to get past, but it was not impossible. A smaller creature could do so without much trouble. 3) Finally, he wondered what would happen to his staff if a giant were to knock the tree down (or worse, chop it down).

OOC: @Tonguez As you can see, I gave some thought to the tree last night. I love the idea, but I'm not sure it will work as well as we might hope.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Seeing Kahru's frown at his magical tree, Duvrael takes a bit of fleece from his pouch and waves it in a slowly smaller circle at the door. Wicked looking barbs, shining with what can only be painful venom, appear up and down the whole trunk of the tree.

"Just an illusion," he explains, "But it may slow them down long enough."

OOC: Casting the minor illusion cantrip on the tree. If there is time (it takes an Action) I will also move the magical sensor indoors to see if I can spot the Chief.

Duvrael AC15*(+5) HP 44/56 THP 0/13 HD 9/9 PP15* SSdc17 2/4 1/3 3/3 2/3 1/1 P 4
Reaction readied: Shield spell (AC +5) when attacked with an attack or with magic missile.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Having made the tree appear fiendish with barbs, Duvrael turned his attention to the door. After a moment's searching, he found a hole big enough to send his eye (and, if he decided, his snake familiar) through. Inside was a dimly-lit hallway that led to a large dark chamber. Immediately behind the door stood a hill giant, standing guard. To the right was a set of doors that led further into the steading. They eye would have to move past the giant to see further into the large chamber at the end of the short hallway.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kahru stood back and suveyed his handiwork which was further enhanced by Duvraels pointed illusion, the tree trunk did not fill the whole of the giant-accomodating doorway but it should slow down anyone inside long enough for the companions to sneak inside the east door and catch the Chief still sleeping.
He had considered what might happen if someone tried to chop the tree down, but he had faith that with stealth, luck and favour the company would get to the giant chief and back before the Outbuildings inmates were even aroused.

thank you old friend” the druid spoke to the new grown tree and glancing at the bushes around the buildings entrance considered asking them and the tree to extend and entwine their stalks and tendrils with the trunk and branches of the tree

the priority now though was getting inside the eastside door …

OOC:
OOC: @Tonguez As you can see, I gave some thought to the tree last night. I love the idea, but I'm not sure it will work as well as we might hope.
Yeah I was wondering about what the dimensions of the doors was, still 3 feet in the middle of the doorway is a block that will slow them down. Even if someone does get through, hopefully the open gate will distract them to go that direction rather than following us back inside:)

Also as suggested ic, the other option is to use a Speak with Plants to get the trees and bushes interacting to add difficult terrain to the doorway (or even a wall of thorns) but thats another action and the priority is to get the Chiefs head. As to the course of action now, I’ll take the guidance of our esteemed DM :p

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"There's a giant standing guard, just inside," Duvrael reports his findings to the others.

"I may be able to magically constrain it, although I've never attempted to do so from the other side of a closed door. In any case, we need a solution to it potentially raising an alarm."

OOC: @FitzTheRuke Many of my spells specify I must be able to see the target. Does the magical sight from Arcane Eye make it possible to cast a spell indoors while I am outside? And if so, how does that interact with my concentration, because both spells (I'm thinking about casting Hold Monster) take up concentration? Does it seamlessly go from one to the other, or does the first expire while casting the second spell?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The Colonel, standing by the door, gestures to the others, with a finger to his lips and the shrug of a question: "Do we want silence?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases