IC [DW] From the Outside

TillForPie

First Post
When Tristan sees or hears Trickle's attack he'll move forward at his earliest opportunity and attack whichever enemy is nearest.

Hack & Slash : 2d6+3 = 9 "On a 7–9, you deal your damage to the enemy and the enemy makes an attack against you."
Damage: 1d10 + 1 = 6 I'm not sure if I add STR to damage. I just assumed not and left it at 6. If I do add STR then my total is 8.

[sblock=Tristan Le Pennec][section]
Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin
Looks Glowing Eyes, Helmeted, Worn Holy Symbol, Bulky Body
Alignment Lawful: Deny mercy to a criminal or unbeliever

Maximum Health 25 Current Health 25 Armor 3 Base Damage 1d10
STR 16 (+2) CON 15 (+1) DEX 8 (-1) INT 12 (+0) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 9 (+0)

Gear (Load 6/28)
Long Sword (close, +1 damage, 1 weight)
Shield (+1 armor, 1 weight)
Scale Armor (+2 armor, 3 weight)
Medallion of Our Virgin Mother the Lady of Tranquility (0 weight)
Adventuring Gear (1 weight)​

[sblock=Paladin Moves]Human When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil?” the GM will tell you, honestly.

Lay on Hands When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being, roll+CHA. On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease. On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

Armored You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

I am the Law When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha. On a 7+, they choose one: Do what you say; Back away cautiously, then flee, or; Attack you. On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.[/sblock][sblock=Quest and Bonds]Quest
Tristan's quest is to slay the monster, a great blight on the land.
His boons are
Invulnerability to bite damage, and
A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep
His vow is one of
Valor - Forbidden: Allowing an innocent creature to suffer[/sblock]
[/section][/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day 6, around midday, at the gatehouse of Castle Brockendale

Hawthorne holds her breath, as the spiders don't quite seem to know they're here yet, and she would hate to warn them.

[sblock=OOC]Hawthorne would like to know who's really in charge around here?

The spiders (and there are more of them than just the two in the gatehouse) have a firm grip on the walls and in the open yard that lies through the gatehouse. But the main building inside the walls is notable free of webs. For whatever reason, the spiders avoid the main building. That is someone, or something else's domain. According to Three Fingered Jake's tales, the castle is haunted. Could it be? [/sblock]

When one gets close enough [Trickle] leaps forward his sword blade blurring as he severs a leg with a brutal chop and thrusts his dagger into the spider's abdomen.

With two sift strikes, Trickle despatches the spider [Dam 10-1=9].

[sblock=OOC]Correction: Hack and Slash is not required here. Post edited to reflect. The text below no longer applies;

WIS was my first thought for the Defy Danger also. Essentially it boils down to how you describe it. You are, as I read it, missing a move - Hack and Slash. Backstab looks like it requires a Hack and Slash move first: you can choose to deal your damage or roll+DEX. So:
Defy Danger to hold your nerve and allow the spiders to get close enough to surprise them.
Hack and Slash for the melee attack [Roll + STR] = 7. You deal damage and the spider makes an attack against you. You forgo the damage for the Backstab move:
Backstab for the 'do +1d6 additional damage', and 'take +1 forward', allocated to Tristan.

Trickle has been poisoned. The rules are a bit vague in this area, so thinking about how that would play out I came up with the following:
Defy Danger to resist the poison:
10+ you fight off the effects, although you do throw up a few times.
7-9 Choose one of the following:
* Partial paralysis - Take -1 forward to all physical actions.
* Temporary Blindness. You can't see.
* Burning Fever - Take one forward to all mental actions.
Effects last until you get 1d3-CON hours (min 1) hours sleep and consume 1 additional ration.
6- You are Paralysed for 1d6-CON hours (min 1)

Feel free to let me know what you think, make suggestions, etc.​
[/sblock]

As Trickle steps away from the carcass of the dead spider on uncertain legs, another moves swiftly down the wall to attack.

When Tristan sees or hears Trickle's attack he'll move forward at his earliest opportunity and attack whichever enemy is nearest.

Dashing forwards, Tristan enters the gloom of the gatehouse and intercepts the second spider before it can reach Trickle. His sword cuts through the spider's hard casing [Dam 6-1=5]. For a moment Tristan realises that he has left himself open to a counter. But the spider scuttles away to safety, up the walls and back into the concealment of the shadows and webs that crowd the ceiling.

[sblock=OOC]Hack & Slash : 2d6+3 = 9 "On a 7–9, you deal your damage to the enemy and the enemy makes an attack against you."
Damage: 1d10 + 1 = 6 I'm not sure if I add STR to damage. I just assumed not and left it at 6. If I do add STR then my total is 8.

The rules don't say anything about adding your STR bonus to damage. The D&D player in me calls to allow it, but I think I will hold off house ruling it until we have played a little more.[/sblock]

The way through to the yard beyond is now open.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Trickle grins over at Tristan but jumps when the dead spider twitches. He snorts, scoffing at his on-edge nerves, and motions for Hawethorne and Khirynnax to come up. The elf obliges and moves up next to Tristan.

"Way's clear, I think. Just don't tug on any webs. Shall we move on in?"

[sblock=Khirynnax & Trickle][sblock=Trickle][section]
Trickle
Human Thief (level 1; 1 xp)
Shifty Eyes, Cropped Hair, Fancy Clothes, Lithe Body

STR 9 DEX 16 (+2) CON 12 INT 15 (+1) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 8 (-1)
Max. hp: 18 Current hp: 18

Alignment: Neutral: Avoid detection or infiltrate a location.

Gear: (Load 6/9) – Base Dmg: d8
Dagger (hand, 1 wt.) and Short sword (close, 1 wt.)
Ragged bow (near, 2 wt.) and bundle of arrows (3 ammo, 1 wt.)
Adventuring gear (1 wt.)
Bloodweed poison (touch, 3 uses): target deals -1d4 damage ongoing until cured

[sblock=Thief Moves]Human: When you spout lore or discern realities about criminal activities take +1

Trap Expert: When you spend a moment to survey a dangerous area, roll+Dex (2d6+2)
10+: hold 3
7-9: hold 1
Spend hold as you walk through area to ask questions:
  • Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
  • What does the trap do when activated?
  • What else is hidden here?
Tricks of the Trade: When you pick locks or disable traps, roll+Dex
10+: you do it, no problem
7-9: you do it, but GM offers two options between suspicion, danger, or cost.

Backstab: When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to roll your damage or roll+Dex
10+: choose two
7-9: choose one
  • You don’t get into melee with them
  • You deal your damage +1d6
  • You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
  • Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it
Flexible Morals: When someone tries to detect your alignment you can tell them any alignment you like

Poisoner: Bloodweed (touch) is no longer dangerous for you to use. When you have time to gather materials and a safe place to brew you can make three uses of Bloodweed for free.
[/sblock][sblock=Bonds and Backgrounds]
I stole something from Needles.
Slice has my back when something goes wrong.
*** knows incriminating details about me.

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will teach Trickle the secret of Witch's Tears.

In the course of his work Trickle came across a poisoner’s tome (no longer in his possession) that described a potent poison called Witch’s Tears. The poisoner learned the formula for the poison (frustratingly not written down in the book) from a powerful unseelie sorcerer, a troll…
[/sblock]​
[/section][/sblock][sblock=Khirynnax][section]
Khirynnax Skinchanger, AKA Khir
Elven Druid (level 1; 0 xp)
Wild Eyes, Messy Hair, Practical Leathers

STR 15 (+1) DEX 12 CON 13 (+1) INT 9 WIS 16 (+2) CHA 8 (-1)
Max. hp: 19 Current hp: 19

Alignment: Neutral: Eliminate an unnatural menace.

Gear: (Load 3/7) – Base Dmg: d6
Token of the Mire: the Copper Coil, age-blackened armband in shape of snake
Hide armor (1 armor, 1 wt.)
Staff (close, two-handed, 1 wt.)
Poultices and herbs (2 uses, 1 wt.)

[sblock=Druid Moves]
Elf: In addition to any other attunements, the Great Forest is always considered your land.

Born of the Soil: Attuned to the Stinking Mire—when shapeshifting you may take the shape of any animal who might live in your land. Your tell (a crown of ivy) remains no matter what shape you take.

By Nature Sustained: You don’t need to eat or drink. If a move tells you to mark off a ration just ignore it.

Spirit Tongue: The grunts, barks, chirps, and calls of the creatures of the wild are as language to you. You can understand any animal native to your land or akin to one whose essence you have studied.

Shapeshifter: When you call upon the spirits to change your shape, roll+WIS.
10+ hold 3
7-9 hold 2
On a miss hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says.
You may take on the physical form of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land: you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the species’ form. You have any innate abilities and weaknesses of the form: claws, wings, gills, breathing water instead of air. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you are out of hold you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form.

Studied Essence: When you spend time in contemplation of an animal spirit, you may add its species to those you can assume using shapeshifting.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Bonds and Background]
*** smells more like prey than a hunter.
The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows Slice.
I have showed Needles a secret rite of the land.
*** has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will reveal a secret of the fae's primordial essence.

Khirynnax was an outsider, too fey for the humans, too unseelie for the elves. He didn’t care because he sensed a deeper essence, pure and powerful, that he needed to understand. When a halfling told him there was one who could put him on the path that might lead to his understanding Khirynnax didn’t hesitate. He made his way to the Witching Troll and readily accepted the bargain of service that the troll required as payment.
[/sblock]​
[/section][/sblock][/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day 6, around midday, through the gatehouse of Castle Brockendale

The castle looms up over you on all sides, its skeletal ruins stark against the grey sky, as you move out of the gatehouse passage and into the courtyard beyond. Lining the courtyard, buildings cluster against the walls. All the windows and doors are busted or gone, leaving gaping dark holes in their place. Some of the roofs have fallen in. Whether or not the castle actually is haunted, it certainly looks the part. Most of the buildings are covered with webs, some old and dusty, some new and almost translucent. The exception is the main building directly across the courtyard. From its centre rises a tall keep, a huge version of the one Lord and Lady Pemberton occupy currently. To either side of the keep is a two story wing. It building is completely free of webs. For an instant, you think you see a light in one of the empty, ruined windows of the keep—but it is gone; probably a figment of your imagination.

The open area of the courtyard is overgrown. Mostly knee high weeds and grasses, but also the odd corpse of brambles and a few young trees. Strung between the small trees, bushes and various bits of wreckage are a single stands of spider webbing, mostly new and translucent, barely visible even in the clear day light. Some a just a few inches off the ground, others are almost chest height.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Hawthorne, priestess of Ushane

Hawthorne watched Trickle and Tristan dispatch the spiders with swiftness, her heart going into her throat as the rest scuttled off. The spiders scared into quiescence, they could finally enter the main courtyard of the supposedly haunted castle. And maybe not so supposedly at that.

"The webs," Hawthorne says softly. "Look, there's no evidence of them around that main building. None at all, and spiders don't seem to be a discriminating sort of creature. Something could be in there that's disturbing them."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Khirynnax scans the courtyard making note of all the strands of webbing strung from place to place. He frowns as he considers likely scenarios. He isn't willing to speculate on the keep as yet but freely speaks up about what he thinks the spiders might do. "The Mire is home to uncounted kinds of spiders. Only the master... ah, masters know for sure how many. I'm sure I heard tales of spiders this large. Usually when a large creature tears through a web the spider knows not to mess with something that is so many times larger. I doubt these spiders will be so deterred by us. Be wary of the webs and expect ambush."

Trickle stares at the keep itself. He could care less about the spiders since, in his opinion, he and Tristan have already taken care of them. "Yes, yes. Watch out for spiders and ghosts." Trickle rummages around in his gear looking for a torch. He's sure he had one around here somewhere. "How 'bout we burn the little beasties out? Singe their webs they'll surely leave us alone. Then we'll be free to waltz right in and search for treasure." He pauses and glances over at Tristan. "And by treasure I mean the scabbard which should be returned to its rightful owner, Lord Pemberton, of course."

[sblock=OOC]Khirynnax spouts lore: 2d6=3[/sblock]
[sblock=Khirynnax & Trickle][sblock=Trickle][section]
Trickle
Human Thief (level 1; 1 xp)
Shifty Eyes, Cropped Hair, Fancy Clothes, Lithe Body

STR 9 DEX 16 (+2) CON 12 INT 15 (+1) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 8 (-1)
Max. hp: 18 Current hp: 18

Alignment: Neutral: Avoid detection or infiltrate a location.

Gear: (Load 6/9) – Base Dmg: d8
Dagger (hand, 1 wt.) and Short sword (close, 1 wt.)
Ragged bow (near, 2 wt.) and bundle of arrows (3 ammo, 1 wt.)
Adventuring gear (1 wt.)
Bloodweed poison (touch, 3 uses): target deals -1d4 damage ongoing until cured

[sblock=Thief Moves]Human: When you spout lore or discern realities about criminal activities take +1

Trap Expert: When you spend a moment to survey a dangerous area, roll+Dex (2d6+2)
10+: hold 3
7-9: hold 1
Spend hold as you walk through area to ask questions:
  • Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
  • What does the trap do when activated?
  • What else is hidden here?
Tricks of the Trade: When you pick locks or disable traps, roll+Dex
10+: you do it, no problem
7-9: you do it, but GM offers two options between suspicion, danger, or cost.

Backstab: When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to roll your damage or roll+Dex
10+: choose two
7-9: choose one
  • You don’t get into melee with them
  • You deal your damage +1d6
  • You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
  • Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it
Flexible Morals: When someone tries to detect your alignment you can tell them any alignment you like

Poisoner: Bloodweed (touch) is no longer dangerous for you to use. When you have time to gather materials and a safe place to brew you can make three uses of Bloodweed for free.
[/sblock][sblock=Bonds and Backgrounds]
I stole something from Needles.
Slice has my back when something goes wrong.
*** knows incriminating details about me.

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will teach Trickle the secret of Witch's Tears.

In the course of his work Trickle came across a poisoner’s tome (no longer in his possession) that described a potent poison called Witch’s Tears. The poisoner learned the formula for the poison (frustratingly not written down in the book) from a powerful unseelie sorcerer, a troll…
[/sblock]​
[/section][/sblock][sblock=Khirynnax][section]
Khirynnax Skinchanger, AKA Khir
Elven Druid (level 1; 0 xp)
Wild Eyes, Messy Hair, Practical Leathers

STR 15 (+1) DEX 12 CON 13 (+1) INT 9 WIS 16 (+2) CHA 8 (-1)
Max. hp: 19 Current hp: 19

Alignment: Neutral: Eliminate an unnatural menace.

Gear: (Load 3/7) – Base Dmg: d6
Token of the Mire: the Copper Coil, age-blackened armband in shape of snake
Hide armor (1 armor, 1 wt.)
Staff (close, two-handed, 1 wt.)
Poultices and herbs (2 uses, 1 wt.)

[sblock=Druid Moves]
Elf: In addition to any other attunements, the Great Forest is always considered your land.

Born of the Soil: Attuned to the Stinking Mire—when shapeshifting you may take the shape of any animal who might live in your land. Your tell (a crown of ivy) remains no matter what shape you take.

By Nature Sustained: You don’t need to eat or drink. If a move tells you to mark off a ration just ignore it.

Spirit Tongue: The grunts, barks, chirps, and calls of the creatures of the wild are as language to you. You can understand any animal native to your land or akin to one whose essence you have studied.

Shapeshifter: When you call upon the spirits to change your shape, roll+WIS.
10+ hold 3
7-9 hold 2
On a miss hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says.
You may take on the physical form of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land: you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the species’ form. You have any innate abilities and weaknesses of the form: claws, wings, gills, breathing water instead of air. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you are out of hold you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form.

Studied Essence: When you spend time in contemplation of an animal spirit, you may add its species to those you can assume using shapeshifting.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Bonds and Background]
*** smells more like prey than a hunter.
The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows Slice.
I have showed Needles a secret rite of the land.
*** has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will reveal a secret of the fae's primordial essence.

Khirynnax was an outsider, too fey for the humans, too unseelie for the elves. He didn’t care because he sensed a deeper essence, pure and powerful, that he needed to understand. When a halfling told him there was one who could put him on the path that might lead to his understanding Khirynnax didn’t hesitate. He made his way to the Witching Troll and readily accepted the bargain of service that the troll required as payment.
[/sblock]​
[/section][/sblock][/sblock]

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Hawthorn, priestess of Ushane

Hawthorne purses her lips at Trickle's fiery suggestion. She knows little of spiders, but something of violence, as love can often be tied with violent passion.

"Would not burning their homes and livelihoods leave them naught to do but come after us? Why rouse the whole nest out of fear?" she asks.

TillForPie

First Post
Tristan shakes gore from his sword. "Belike they would come scurrying," he says, dismissive of the danger spiders pose. "But I'd confirm the place to be free of squatters before setting fires." He narrows his golden eyes at one of the windows above the courtyard but says nothing of it. He picks his way through the courtyard toward the front of the keep.

Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin

Gear (Load 6/28)

[sblock=Paladin Moves]Human When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil?” the GM will tell you, honestly.

Lay on Hands When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being, roll+CHA. On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease. On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

I am the Law When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha. On a 7+, they choose one: Do what you say; Back away cautiously, then flee, or; Attack you. On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.[/sblock][sblock=Quest and Bonds]Quest
His boons are
His vow is one of
[/section][/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day 6, around midday, the courtyard of Castle Brockendale

He picks his way through the courtyard toward the front of the keep.

[sblock=OOC]The webs are not numerous or strong enough to prevent your passing, but snagging or snapping one is like ringing the spider dinner bell. Want to avoid that? Sounds like Defy Danger - Roll+DEX. Knowing the trap is there, you can carry +1 forward on the roll. The webs are set mostly for smaller animals than men, so mostly low to the ground and easy to step over, you can carry another +1 forwards.

10+: you successfully cross the courtyard avoiding the strands of web.
7-9: you snag or snap a stand, alerting the spiders. The next person takes -1 forward on their roll. These penalties stack.
06-: its spider dinner time.[/sblock]

TillForPie

First Post
Hrmm. Would I be able to auto-alert the spiders in exchange for not risking getting caught in the webs were Tristan to instead hack through them?

If so ...

Tristan picks his way toward the front of the keep. On approaching the first barrier web he slowly hefts his sword into the air, ready to chop through it like simple jungle growth. Just slowly enough for someone to perhaps object.

Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin

Gear (Load 6/28)

His boons are
His vow is one of
[/section][/sblock]

Remove ads