log in or register to remove this ad

 

D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly


log in or register to remove this ad

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Myrral flies by the group, running along the road, on the road sides and across the obstacles as if they weren't there. He keeps a line of sight essentially at all time. But at the cost of less than impressive performance. He tried to motivate others to give their best. But squeezing motivational speed between gasps and grunts of the full sprint effort just doesn't work.

But he does have some minor magic deployable quickly and miss Imogen feels her resolve and focus return.


@Kobold Stew Myrral will give Imogen inspiration - shoot with the bonus :)
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Afternoon
Round 0

Dellrak spun on Bag-o’-Nails and growled. “Instead o’ yammerin’ yer mouth, why dunnae ye tell me just exactly where those beasties are off tae?” he snapped at the crazy tabaxi. “If we know where they’re gaein’, ‘tis easier than tryin’ t’ track a trail through the bluidy air. Or come wi’ us an’ ‘elp!”

Dellrak turned and raced after the others. Of course, as a dwarf, he was slower, and fell behind a bit, but he kept his eyes open for other dangers, so as not to get them ambushed, or for paths that might more easily let them follow. All this for a bloody flying monkey.

***

Three skills
Athletics Athletics: 1D20+7 = [20]+7 = 27
Perception Perception: 1D20+5 = [14]+5 = 19
Survival Survival: 1D20+5 = [7]+5 = 12

Save:
Move: Stand
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Protection from Evil (Elementals): Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them. (94 r)
Concentration: Protection from Evil (Elementals)
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 45/49 HD: 1/5d10+3
Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 3

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 1/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Miss Imogen nimbly dodges through the streets, restringing her bow as she goes. She vaults up onto a wall for a clear shot.
ACROBATICS: 1d20+7=23

When she has a clear shot, shetakes it.
BOW: 1d20+9=18. Damage=1d8+4=11 (range 600)

If they recapture Ukee, she tends the poor creature as best she is able.
ANIMAL HANDLING: 1d20+5=6. ACK! Use the Inspiration here just to get off of the 1. +1d6=2, for a total of 8.

(If the bow doesn't count, add Medicine 1d20+2=5. We may get thegargoyle, but Imogen isn't saving Ukee, that is for sure.)
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: The idea was to use inspiration for a sure hit :) we don't save the monkey if you don't drop the beast. But of course, your inspiration, your call. Just don't use that medicine on Myrral, keep it for humans :p
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
The sticks set off after the gargoyles who had taken their little friend. Leaving the raised road was not an option (most of the ground was choked with vines and rubble, and one could not see very far, nor move very quickly down there). Unfortunately, this meant that they had only one viable direction: North. At first, Dellrak fell behind with his much shorter legs, but he quickly showed a dwarf's endurance as he maintained his top speed for longer, soon passing most of the others.

Though Qawasha and Weed followed as best they could, they were quickly left to the rear, unable to be of much help. Chrysagon passed them, but he was just far enough behind the others, and Imogen had not yet taken her shot, that he thought for a moment that it must be far too late; surely the Gargoyles had flown out of range by now.

He was wrong. By luck or design, they were flying northward as well, just over three hundred feet away, over the river. Myrral pointed them out as the sticks passed a set of stairs that led down on either side of the raised road. Harb noted that the gargoyles were following another, similar raised road, though that one had collapsed into the river, and most of it was gone. There was a clear line-of-sight just ahead, and if Imogen timed it well, the gargoyles would be flying over a large portion of the wall that rose out of where the river had flooded a part of the city. With luck, Ukee would fall onto the flat stones of that other road (and not into the water).

Not able to see much of this from a little way behind, Chrysagon looked to the other side of the road, wary of danger, where he saw a large campsite built in the shadow of some ruins - two yurts flying a tattered yellow banner, and an unkept central campfire, now out. There was no activity there.

As Imogen prepared to take her shot, Dellrak scanned the area ahead, and he saw movement at a walled compound, similar in construction to their home base where they'd left Rodrigo and the others. Here there a rough-looking but well-dressed lookout who pointed their way while a man in red robes, his head shaved, nodded and raised his hand in a gesture that would have seemed non-threatening, had he not possessed the look of a wizard.

Imogen stopped on the road while Harb helped her by holding up a light piece of cloth so she could quickly judge the wind. She let the arrow fly, and more than a hundred yards away, a gargoyle fell to the stones of the flooded road and shattered, leaving a little bundle of net that skidded to a stop on the edge. The other gargoyle continued flying northward.

GM: Challenge: The Sticks vs Gargoyles on Omu's Highroad to save Ukee
OmuChase.jpg

(Scale) 30-foot grids. (Qawasha & Weed are closer to the stairs).
(Note) The orange Sticks-Icon is where the group started chasing (note the "crack" that Harb climbed to the top left of the icon. Everything else should be self-explanatory, I think.
(PCs)
Chrysagon Ath.23; Ins.23; Inv.1
Dellrak
Ath.27; Perc.19; Sur.12;
Harb Ins.24; Perc.18; Stea.7;
Imogen Acr.23; AnH.6; Med.5
Myrral Ath.22; Perc.26; Perf.8
(NPCs)
Qawasha Ath.2; Perc.16; Sur.6
Kupalue Ins.4; Perc.13; Sur.7

Set: 1;2,4,5,6,6,7,7,8,12;13;16,18,19,22,23,23,23,24,26;27
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Harb took one quick glance at the 'wizard' and then leapt ovet the edge of the road, thirty feet down, he rolled to his feet and made for the last place he'd seen Ukee.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Wait! Uh..."
Being cautious was never Myrrals strength, but this...
"You don't go into a hunt alone!"
Myrral looks back at the others and shrugs
"Come as soon as you can, I'll try to slow him down enough."
He grabs the ledge and scampers down the rough stone. It brings him back to his childhood when climbing was something done for fun, not to save the companions in mortal peril. But it also gives him an idea and he pounces at Harb as the monk touches the ground.
"Cubs play pounce!"
he announces as he collides with the monk.
Acrobatics to turn from the wall and land on Harb: 1D20+4 = [7]+4 = 11
Or at least that was the idea. But it was some time ago he was a cub and the balance, weight and his equipment are all different. He barely grazes Harb and lands on all four barely avoiding striking his head on the ground.

"Friend Harb! You will not save Ukee by killing yourself. Wait for others."
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Afternoon
Round 0

Dellrak pulled up as the gargoyle went down. He spotted the Thayan lookout, and the seemingly empty campsite.

“Luiks like we moight get some friends,” the dwarf commented. “Grab the monkey an’ then fall back t’ tha’ abandoned campsite.”

Dellrak headed down the west stairs, crossing to the campsite to look around.

Perception: 1D20+5 = [1]+5 = 6
Investigation: 1D20 = [9] = 9


***

Save:
Move: Stand
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Protection from Evil (Elementals): Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them. (93 r)
Concentration: Protection from Evil (Elementals)
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 45/49 HD: 1/5d10+3
Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 3

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 1/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While Harb and Myrral quickly climbed down the east side of the road and began to work their way through the heavy overgrowth toward where they had last seen Ukee, Dellrak climbed down the stairs on the western side and headed to have a look around the seemingly-abandoned campsite. Qawasha and Weed caught up to him, having fallen behind the rest, and they too looked about the campsite.

At the center of the camp, a scrap of dirty yellow cloth hung limply from a crude wooden flagpole.
Dellrak opened the flap on one of the weather-worn yurts to find nothing more than torn backpacks and rotted sleeping gear. What food stores the campers had brought with them were now spilled, raided by vermin, and what little remained was mouldering and foul.

Qawasha and Weed had been checking the other yurt, and Weed squeaked and brought to Dellrak what it had found: A weathered letter that was just barely legible.

BrixtonLetter.jpg
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Fearing there is noting she can do for Ukee, Miss Imogen makes her way to the camp, where the letter has been found. "May I see that?" she asks.

"Eye of Zaltec... Tomb of the Nine Gods... holy shrines... Res Nsi... Yellow Banner. Do any of these names mean anything to anyone? The Eye may still be there, since it seems no one returned to this camp. Though of course we cannot know that, and it may not be worth our time to pursue."

"I know we had hoped to find a market, or somewhere we could barter for fresh food." She looks at the arrows rattling around the quiver at her hip, and cinches her whip-belt tighter.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: The Company of the Yellow Banner was mentioned in Post#374, as friends of Syndra Silvane. She described them as "mercenaries, but good folk." Only Harb was there at the time, but he may have spoken of them, as it was always possible (if unlikely) that you would run into them; they were on the same mission as the Sticks, searching the jungle for the source of the Death Curse. (Aside) It's not surprising that no one would remember - that post was over three years ago!
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Chrysagon saw Harb and Myrral disappearing into the undergrowth towards where Ukee had fallen. He could not keep up with them — not in this heat — so Chrysagon decided to join the others in the abandoned camp.
He looked at the letter over Imogen's shoulder. Tomb of the Nine Gods... and the secret to opening it lies in the holy shrines...
Hey, we have been in a holy shrine!
Chrysagon called out. Did anyone see any hints on how to open a tomb?
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Myrral follows Harb. He understands monks worry about his companion, but someone needs to watch his back while he is distracted.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Myrral and Harb made their way toward the flooded part of the city. As they went, the underbrush grew thick and moist. It was difficult to move forward quietly, but there was plenty of places to hide when a group came toward them from the direction of the Thayans. Determined to retrieve Ukee, Harb had barely noticed that the others had not followed him until he realised that he and Myrral were certainly outnumbered. Still, the underbrush made it unlikely that the Thayans would have an easy time getting to them, should that be their goal.

One called out in a thickly-accented common, "Yoo ovar zher: Coom owt whurr we cun see yuh. We noe yar zher. Joost ta tulk."

OOC: Perceptions for Harb & Myrral if you want to know what you're up against, and Stealth if you want to remain unseen.
 


KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Afternoon
Round 0

Dellrak read the letter and looked around at the camp. “Been a long time since someone was ‘ere,” he noted. He looked over at Chrysagon. “Mebbe those strange children’s toys ye found in the shrine are the magic keys or wot not.”

Dellrak considered the sun. “This might make guid camp later if we dunnae trek all the way back t’ the ship,” he commented. “Assumin’ those Thayans leave us be. Might need t’ check ‘em oot. Need t’ find tha’ damn monkey though first.”

Taking up his crossbow again, Dellrak headed back for the stairs to sneak up and see what he could see of Ukee and the Thayans.

Stealth disadvantage armor: 2D20.LOW(1)+4 = [7, 7]+4 = 11

***

Save:
Move: Stand
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Protection from Evil (Elementals): Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them. (92 r)
Concentration: Protection from Evil (Elementals)
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 45/49 HD: 1/5d10+3
Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 3

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 1/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
Myrral and Harb were able to stay out of sight of the Thayans while slowly continuing toward Ukee. In addition, they were able to find a spot where they could take a moment to observe who was there. There was a Red Wizard, to be sure - a human in red robes with tattoos on his shaved head. And an orc, though different-looking than any Harb had seen (Myrral had never seen an orc) - this one had something of a noble-bearing and wore higher-quality (and lighter) armour and garb. There were also two humans - mercenaries, most likely - a man and a woman.

This was a splinter-group that had been sent to look for them. Harb and Myrral knew that most of the Thayans must have stayed exploring the ruin. For one, the Red Wizard was not the same one that had been seen from the road.

The Thayan scout-party's way was blocked by the thickest of jungle overgrowth, and as the mercenaries hacked away at it, Harb and Myrral slipped down to the water's edge. There were two sunken, ruined buildings, and then the raised road where Ukee had fallen. The two Sticks would have to abandon their cover if they wanted to reach the monkey.

OOC: I will come back with a map to make things clear. And to tell what Angis sees.
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top