• COMING SOON! -- The Awfully Cheerful Engine on Kickstarter! An action comedy RPG inspired by cheerful tabletop games of the 80s! With a foreword by Sandy 'Ghostbusters' Petersen, and VTT support!
log in or register to remove this ad

 

D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Afternoon
Round 0

Dellrak grumbled -- as usual -- as he hacked with his axe at the jungle undergrowth, widening the trail further that Harb had made. “Stupid monkey.” He slapped at some mosquitos and pushed on through.

***

Save:
Move: Stand
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Protection from Evil (Elementals): Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them. (90 r)
Concentration: Protection from Evil (Elementals)
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 45/49 HD: 1/5d10+3
Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 3

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 1/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Using the time everyone is distracted by Harbs arrival and using Dellracks hacking at the bushes, Myrral moves slightly so his hands movements are obscured by the growth between him and the mage.

"I suggest we part ways peacefully. We're are all here now and ready for trouble. But we don't want trouble, so it is better if we each go our separate ways, no?"

Action: cast suggestion at the mage
Bonus/Move: whatever needed to obscure the casting, gain line of sight, range etc.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
"I don't know what you seek, but I have no cube. Perhaps if you describe it?"

Pulling himself to his feet Harb leans on his staff, catching his breath and marshalling his energy should he have to fight these strangers.

"But first, I must go to my allies, my familiar beeds healing."
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Myrral spoke, his words pleasant and alluring. The Red Wizard seemed to consider for a moment, and then replied, "There is naught but trouble to be had here in Omu, I'm afraid. You must have a cube. I have too much respect for you to believe otherwise."

As Harb began to stand, the unstable shore turned to mud at his feet. The Thayan mercenary turned, lunged, and shoved him, saying, "You're of no use, then."

OOC: Red Wizard's Save: 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17
I assume the dc is 14? (Please post your save dc when you cast spells!)

Thayan Merc Shove: Athletics Check: 1D20+4 = [12]+4 = 16
Harb must roll a dc16 Athletics/Acrobatics or be shoved into the water.
 
Last edited:


FitzTheRuke

Legend
Though everyone on both sides had tried, for the most part, to keep relations civil, that one act of aggression almost certainly took things too far. The mercenary shoved Harb just as he had begun to stand, bracing himself on his staff. Harb stumbled back and fell with a splash into the swirling water. There was quite the current as the water rushed between the crumbling shoreline and the wall of the sunken ruin and Harb was twenty feet downstream before he righted himself and surfaced.

The Red Wizard rolled his eyes at his hireling as if he had not intended for that to happen, but he did not admonish him. Instead he turned to the other Sticks and demanded, "If you do not want to wind up like your friend, you will present me with the cube that you found in the Shrine of Moa. We have seen your airship and we know that you have been there. Come, let us have it."
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: The Sticks vs Thayans by Banks of Flooded Ruins of Omu
OmuBanks1.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Anything green is overgrown (dc11 to move more than 5 feet);
Water moves you 20 feet each round without a dc11 Athletics Check (dc16 to move against it).
Visibility: Bright (It's daytime)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Chrysagon AC18* HP 36/36 (Res Nec&Rad) HD 4/5 PP10* SS 3/3 CD 1/1 LoH 17/25
Dellrak AC15 HP 49/49 (Res Psn) HD 1/5 PP15* SS 4/4 1/2
Harb AC15 HP 29/33 HD 4/5 PP14 KI 5/5
Imogen AC17 HP 38/38 THP 0/5 HD 4/5 PP12 SS 2/2 FS 0/3 AS 0/1 2W 1/1
Myrral AC14 HP 34/34 HD 4/5 PP17* SS 3/4 2/3 2/2 Ins 3/3
(NPCs)
Qawasha AC11(16) HP 27/27 HD 3/5 PP14 SS 1/4 3/3
Kupalue (Weed) AC13 HP 9/9 HD 2/2 PP12*
Ukee AC12 HP 0/3 HD 1/1 PP13 (ko'd)
Name * AC * HP * PP * Attacks * Spells * (Notes)
Red Wizard
AC15 HP 42/42 PP11 FB+6,2d10 SS 2/4 2/3 2/3 3/3 1/1
Thayan Mercenaries AC13 HP 32ea PP11 2@+5,1d8+3
-Merc1 32/32; Merc2 32/32;
Thayan Orc AC15 HP 52/52 PP12* 2@+5,3d6+3
GM: Begin Round One
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Afternoon
Round 1

Athletics to move: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8

Dellrak pushed forward through the underbrush, but hit a difficult patch and only could advance a little. He cast a spell to help him move a bit more, his legs working faster. Dellrak saw the mercenary shove Harb into the river.

“Blow it out yer arse, wizard,” Dellrak growled at the Thayan. “The man said we ain’t got whatever this cube thingy is.” The dwarven ranger drew his crossbow and fit a bolt into it, just in case things got hot.

***

Save:
Move: AY36
Free Object Interaction: Draw crossbow.
Action: Cast Longstrider
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Longstrider: Speed 35
Protection from Evil (Elementals): Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them. (89 r)
Concentration: Protection from Evil (Elementals)
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 45/49 HD: 1/5d10+3
Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 2/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 1/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Plants and bugs,
snakes and roots,
get the orc, give him hugs,
hold him fast, he be foods!"


Myrral capers a little in place and living jungle around the orc comes alive. At least in his mind. And with cutting words Myrral just sang he WILL believe it. With that comforting thought, Myrral grabs the nearest tree and disappears into the canopy. Or at least tries to.

Standard: Phantasmal force - it will hold the orc in place and "eat him" if he believes it Int DC 14
Reaction: Cutting words against the orc: 1D8 = [8] = 8 when orc attempts save (so save is INT -8 :D) - alternative if save is NOT ability check - give him -8 to a skill he uses to move

Move: straight up into the branches around the tree so wizard has no line of sight
Survival to move: 1D20+3 = [2]+3 = 5 :( Let's hope this isn't required for going up :D

Damage for the next minute: starts real slow :( with two 1s
Phantasmal force damage: 1D6 = [1] = 1
1D6 = [1] = 1
1D6 = [6] = 6
1D6 = [2] = 2
1D6 = [5] = 5
1D6 = [5] = 5
1D6 = [2] = 2
1D6 = [1] = 1
1D6 = [4] = 4
1D6 = [5] = 5


If he fails he doesn't get additional saves, but he can (if he concludes it is an illusion somehow) make Investigation check against DC 14 as an Action.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Miss Imogen makes her way through the tall grass. Going is difficult, but she makes her way into the clearing and draws her bow, aiming it at the Red Wizard. She perceives that this fight might get hot, and she is going to make her first arrow count.

She is not hiding; she wants to be seen as a threat.

OOC: Move: 15' east (max distance through difficult terrain). Athletics 1d20-1=11.
Action: Ready: will fire if he moves to attack or appears to cast a spell this round.

Arrows left: 15. HP 38/38.
Fighting Spirit: none left. Action surge: used. Second Wind: not used.

Aside: aiming's not a thing, is it? For some reason I thought if you took a round you could get advantage on the next attack. I'd do that here if it were a possibility.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Chrysagon stepped forward, held up a hand, and called to the Red Wizard. He explained that they had found a cube, but that it had disappeared when they left the shrine.

The Red Wizard nodded smugly and explained, happy to show off his superior knowledge, "Moa is one of the nine trickster gods of Omu. While he is said to be the truthful one, still he plays his games. He must only respect those who can discern truth from lies. The cube is still within the shrine, then."

Chrysagon could feel the stone cube as it rested in his backpack. He was uncomfortable with lying, but he knew that this wizard could not be fully trusted. He kept him talking while Myrral helped Harb out of the water by asking him about the cubes, appealing to his sense of superiority.

"The trickster gods are dead - entombed in tunnels at the north end of Omu. Whoever imprisoned their (admittedly minor) god-essence there sealed the tomb with an intricate puzzle. These cubes are pieces of that puzzle, that will allow us to unlock the tomb. We believe that we will find the source of this Death Curse there. I know that your goals are similar to ours. We should put this misunderstanding behind us and work together, before this blasted heat, this insufferable jungle, and these biting insects cause us all to go mad."

As he spoke the last, he waved his hand and small bolts of electricity zapped a small swarm of bugs that had begun to form around him (as it did whenever any animal stood still for more than a moment.)

"You can return to your shrine, and search for Moa's cube. Bring it to us and in return, when we find all nine cubes, we will enter the tomb together. As a gesture of good faith, I will lend you my guard, Ghorukk." he gestured to the well-dressed orc who was approaching Myrral and Harb, "He was bred to be very tough, trained to be highly skilled, and tamed to follow orders. What say you? Do we have a deal?"

 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Afternoon
Round 0

Dellrak lowered his crossbow a fraction, as Chrysagon seemed to defray tensions with a clever lie. “Why not just send yer pet orc ta get the cube?” he asked. “Why bother with us? How do we know the cure fer the curse is doon there anyway?”

***

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Longstrider: Speed 35 (598r)
Protection from Evil (Elementals): Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them. (88 r)
Concentration: Protection from Evil (Elementals)
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 45/49 HD: 1/5d10+3
Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 2/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 1/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"For one, I expect that your friends with the air-ship wouldn't want my man plundering about your campsite. And you have searched the shrine before, have you not? You would know to look where you have not looked yet." the Red Wizard told Dellrak, as if he were a child, "As for how we know, well, we have done a combination of research and magical scrying that you would not understand. In addition, we have explored the area and interrogated a prisoner. We have concluded that it is the most likely place. Come with us, you will see."
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Afternoon
Round 0

“Aye. We went o’er the place pretty guid an’ found naethin’. Wastin’ time daein’ it again willnae make any difference,” Dellrak told the Thayan Red Wizard. “Yer prisoner say otherwise? Mebbe ‘e’s lyin’?” Dellrak wouldn’t want to be a prisoner of Thayans. “They’ll say anythin’ if ye torture ‘em enough.”

***

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Longstrider: Speed 35 (597r)
Protection from Evil (Elementals): Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them. (87 r)
Concentration: Protection from Evil (Elementals)
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 45/49 HD: 1/5d10+3
Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 2/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 1/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
I'm curious about the cubes, Chrysagon added. How large are they, he asked gestured with his hands to suggest a size, and how many do you need for the puzzle?
Chrysagon nodded at the answer he received. He looked at his fellow adventurers for a consensus and said to the red wizard: By all means, we will go back and look for the cube. Your guard Ghorukk is welcome to join us.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Myrral lets the talks go, but he maintains the concentration on his plant entangling image. The difference is, these thorns are still. The orc is entangled, but not attacked.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Miss Imogen stands at a distance, her bow drawn, watching the discussion get rough. She does not fire at this time. She can hear none of what is going on.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The tense negotiations being over, the Sticks hacked their way through the overgrowth until they were back together as a group. The Red Wizard called, "If you will please bring the Cube of Moa to the Walled Compound by two-hours after dawn tomorrow, we will be there, ready to share our own findings. If you are late, we may be out looking for more. There are a few more to gather, and we may need your help. This alliance should prove quite fruitful for us all! One last thing: Beware the Yaun-Ti. The snake-lovers lair to the north-east and they have been nothing but trouble."
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Once out of sight of the Red Wizard and his companions, Harb looks for a place to slip off, out of sight of their 'new' companion to check on Ukee and revive her. Deciding that caution was warranted, he instructed her to stay hidden under his cloak as much as possible. No need to let a potential enemy know he had an 'ace' up his sleeve.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The trek back to the Shrine of Moa (also the Stick's base camp) was mercifully without incident. There was one incident: A group of kobolds came out of some ruins, not far from where the sticks had encountered them before, but Ghorukk (the Thayan Orc) roared at them and raised his great sword, and they ran in terror.

There had been no sign of Bag-of-Nails, not since they had left the old tabaxi hunter on the raised road after the gargoyles had attacked.

As they approached the hanging bridge that led to the shrine, Rodrigo was there to welcome them across. Qawasha remarked, "It is good to see you, my friend! It was only this morning, but it feels like it has been forever."

The crew of the Little Star had made themselves at home in the garden in front of the shrine, and were working on further repairs, maintenance, and improvements to the cobbled-together airship.
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top