log in or register to remove this ad

 

D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The trip to the Walled Compound was a frustrating slog. The weather was unusually dry, and foul-smelling fumes from the lava pit and a cloying smoke hung low over the city, adding to the discomfort. Thankfully, however, it was uneventful. When the group arrived, cautiously approaching the Thayan encampment, they discovered that only one Thayan was there, and he was not a Red Wizard.

The balding grey-bearded fellow called out a common greeting and waved. As the group approached, with all due caution, he said, "I am Orvex Ocrammas, humble scribe and translator, at your service. I am to offer the Red Wizards' regrets that they cannot be here to greet you. They found an early-morning lead on the last of the nine puzzle cubes (assuming that you have found and brought yours) and they were away before you arrived. We can travel to meet them at the Shrine of Papazotl. I know the way, but I cannot make it without you."
 

log in or register to remove this ad

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu/Thayan camp
Morning
Round 0

The Thayan camp was basically empty. Dellrak eyed the scribe left behind. “Mind if we look around?” he asked. Might be the only opportunity they had to check up on the Thayans. “We cuild use some replenishin’ o’ oor supplies.” He nodded to Lady Imogen. His own crossbow bolts were low, too, though not as low as her arrows. He didn’t think the old scribe could stop them.

***

30 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 49/49 HD: 4/5d10+3
Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Orvex shrugged, "If you wish. I was not instructed to stop you. When you are ready, we can proceed."

The walled compound consisted of several buildings surrounded by a high wall in a rectangle, a hundred yards on its longer side. Its wooden gate had been recently smashed and there were many signs of the battle that had happened the previous morning. Bag-of-Nails had described that the 'snake-tongues' had attacked the Thayans and had been repulsed.

Indeed, there were two piles of bodies in the central plaza, improperly burned in a half-hearted pyre. A small pack of wild dogs was attempting to steal one of the bodies, and they growled and yipped at any approach.

The buildings were a mix of disrepair, and it was no surprise that the Red Wizards had occupied the least ruined one, while their mercenaries had camped in the second-least ruined. Both groups had taken most of their belongings with them when they left, but there was the very basics of an encampment left behind: some food, blankets, ropes, and the like.

Miss Imogen was thrilled to find a half-empty quiver of ten useable arrows. In addition, Myrral discovered a small leather handbag that had been left behind in one of the Red Wizard's rooms - it contained three glass vials of strange-smelling liquids, a pouch of powdery dust, and two blue bead-like spheres.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu/Thayan camp
Morning
Round 0

Dellrak poked through the Thayan camp. He didn’t find anything particularly interesting to himself, though the leather sack Myrral found could prove interesting. At least Imogen found some arrows.

“Seems they got their arses ‘anded to ‘em,” the dwarf noted.

***

30 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 49/49 HD: 4/5d10+3
Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Myrral looks at two piles of bodies, looking at the wounds - especially those made by spells, gauging the strength and preference of their 'ally' and also preparing in his mind counter to snake-shamans.


OOC: I assume, one is snake-men and the other are Thayans?
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen takes the arrows, and replaces them in her own quiver. When Myrral produces the bag, she divides up some of the other items she has been carrying as well.

"Here. Others should be carrying these things."

She looks at the Alchemy Jug, which had been so useful to the camp they had come across, and wonders if it should have been left with them. If that might have saved a few more lives, with its fresh water. In any case, it is too late for such regrets. If someone asks for the hat that she has been carrying, she'll happily give it over as well; but she keeps it since it matches one of her vests.

OOC: from IC 1072 an Alchemy Jug and four beans from a wondrous item called a Bag of Beans
from IC 704 2 x antitoxin (1 used in 1545).

Arrows carried: 25
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When Myrral went to take a closer look at the piles of bodies, the wild dogs began to growl and lunge at him. Their body language clearly indicated that they would fight to keep their food, terrible as it was, the scrawny things. Myrral was able to determine that one pile was most likely Thayans (mostly mercenaries, both human and orcish, though one or two may have been wizards) and the other, though most appeared human (at least for the most part), some had snake-like body parts - arms, eyes, torsos, or scaled skin.

He kept himself at a distance from the dogs.
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Chrysagon looked at the pile of dead bodies in the central plaza. He said a quiet prayer over the fallen people, who had found death prematurely. Death is natural and will come when the time is right.
Chrysagon went up to the scribe and waited for the others.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When the Sticks had finished searching the compound (including pilfering a few items that the Thayans had left behind), Orvex (who took no mind of their looting) said, "Are you ready to go meet the others?"
 


KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu/Thayan camp
Morning
Round 0

Dellrak nodded to Orvex. “Let’s git’er done,” the dwarven ranger said, spitting onto the ground. He slapped at a mosquito on his hairy arm.

***

30 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+3
Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"The bodies are mixed between Thayans and the snake-men. Old one was right, it was pitched battle and I think the mage will have another soon. We may be able to help."

Myrral motions to Orvex "Lead the way."
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As it turned out, Myrral's growled words were near prophetic:

Orvex led the group back towards their own base, over the fallen tree, past the sniper's tower, and back along the east-west raised road, following paths that they had cut themselves through the tangled overgrowth. When they neared the rope-bridge that the Sticks had built to get to the pillar on which stood the Shrine of Moa (guarded now by Hup'lo and Kasqa who were just too far away to communicate with) the Sticks began to grow suspicious.

Fortunately, that is when Orvex turned east and then northward and led them away from their encampment. It was not long before the sounds of a pitched battle could be heard from the north. The Sticks came to the end of the road (quite literally - the raised road ended its eastward advance with a set of stairs, that the Sticks used for cover while they took stock of what was before them).

The Thayans held their position at the base of a shrine complex, using the ruined walls for cover, while a group of serpent-folk were assaulting them from the north. A large-jawed beast roared from between them as as it was pelted with a smaller fire-spell, and the ground around was littered with smouldering dead, cleared of underbrush, from where a Red Wizard had scorched the earth with a large fireball.

OOC: I will post a map soon, but if you like, you can take a round or two to prepare yourselves (post whatever you want to do) before joining in. Orvex will follow your lead - he's a scribe, not a warrior or mage, so he's not eagre to join his employers. The orc will also follow your lead. He looks like he is ready to rush in, but he's been told to take orders from you, and he's an obedient sort.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
When she hears the sound of battle, Miss Imogen is clear in her mind. She is looking for a clear view of the conflict, with cover if she can get it. Maybe she scampers onto the roof and positions herself behind a chimney; maybe she finds a plaza with a fountain and an otherwise unobstructed view. She doesn't feel any particular need to get close (more than 100' is fine), but wants the best view that is possible of the largest number of combatants.

They have fireballs, she notes, and so she doesn't want others close to her if she can avoid it, though of course she will take weed with her (and Qawasha if he has come).

By combatants, she is including the Thayans along with the sepent-folk. She will prioritize keeping the Yuan-ti (if that is what they are), but she is not in an overly trusting move.

OOC: Did anyone pck up the antitoxin and magic items?
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Myrral could take antitoxin, he is a healer, after all


Myrral observes the fight and looks for the best approach closer, but not too close. He effortlessly gets above the group and follows silently along until he is close enough to reach the fighting with his spells.

Stealth: 1D20+9 = [5]+9 = 14
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Morning
Round 1

Dellrak saw the fight and drew his (greataxe or crossbow, depending on how far away he is placed). As he did, he cast a spell to let him move more quickly. “Let’s skin these snakes,” he said gruffly.

***

Longstrider: Speed 35 (600r)
30 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction: Draw weapon
Action: Cast Longstrider
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+3
Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Snakes…why'd it have to be snakes? Chrysagon muttered and then he invoked Kelemvor's protection against poison. Invigorated by the protection, he also channel Kelemvor's energy into his flail. The energy flowed into the weapon and it started to shine, slowly at first and then brightly. Let's go and smash some snakes, he said and set off. He urged the Thayan orc to follow. Ghorukk, what are you waiting for? Go and help your Masters!
 

MetaVoid

Adventurer
"These last months were...trying" Ussal thought to himself as he slithered forward toward the brewing conflict. "This unit is in poor shape. It always is after that...incident...at least I wasn't sacrificed to Sseth either then or when I returned."

"Come on, form up! The battle aproachesss..." he calls out as the human group approached the assigned battlefield. There may be some negotiation, but knowing temple elders, they will consider these humans nothing more than more sacrificial victims. And their spies already informed them that another group is on the way, these flying in some contraption he was actually eager to see an study.

Sighing, he shifts his focus on the unit, correcting the line and forming them up. Kobold slaves, lizardfolk warriors, single mangy tabaxi, other enslaved creatures that could fight, not one of them proper yuan-ti. Even the one that was technically yuan-ti was a wretch, a throwback to their human past without any sign of the divine blessings. He was even susceptible to poison, poor thing.

"Focus, Ussal, you'll get at least some of them alive out of here." he berates himself even as he hisses angrily at them. "Hmmm, who would be most likely to take the opportunity to bolt? That lizard, still not fully broken? The little cowering kobold too, he retreats even from others of his kind..."

While awaiting the command to advance, he considers how to deploy them so that there is some chance to escape the unit without giving them a chance to attack him from behind. "And who knows, maybe I can recover my standing in resolving this curse. My wounds are luckily closed, but I don't relish new ones. And who knows, maybe these new explorers are more open to new members. They are a diverse lot judging by the spy reports. And managed peaceful contact with cat-people.

OOC: just subscribing to the thread :D And giving the DM some ideas
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The battle was a long, tough slog. A seemingly endless supply of snake-folk poured from the north. In addition they had captured (and somewhat trained) great beasts of the jungle. A tall, large-jawed thing struck Harb with its tail, throwing the monk across the field. It was quickly clear that the Red Wizards cared very little for collateral damage involving their allies (and even their personal guards) and they threw balls of fire with reckless abandon. Dellrak's beard was terribly scorched and in his pain and frustration, he wondered whose side anyone was on.

As the battle raged, it only became more chaotic. One of the Red Wizards raised some of the dead into charred skeletons, who attacked whoever was closest to them. Myrral had to fight one off. Imogen was happy to be quite far away, on the stairs to the raised road, lobbing arrows into the fray.

Fed up with the skeletons, Chrysagon destroyed them, and that caused a Red Wizard to attack him directly. For a brief time, it turned into a three-way battle. This shifting of alliances was further defined when one of the snake-folk units had the opportunity to overwhelm Rodrigo and the injured Harb, but chose to cross the field to go after some Thayan mercenaries instead. From that group, a little flying homunculus came to Chrysagon (who had moved to heal Harb) and delivered a message, hidden in a metallic disc. In the throw of battle, Chrysagon did not have time to interpret the message fully, but Harb told him that the method suggested that one of the Yaun-Ti was an agent of the Harpers.

The battle turned against the Thayans, and in the end many were killed. Four mercenaries were taken prisoner by the Yaun-Ti and two of the Red Wizards teleported away (including the one that had negotiated with the Sticks and a young woman, who seemed to be issuing orders to the others during the battle).

By this time the Sticks had retreated to the south-west corner, closer to where Imogen was. Orvex (the Thayan sage) and Ghorukk (the orc guard) were both still with them. A tense stand-off occurred with some of the remaining Yaun-Ti, but it seemed possible to parlay.

ThayYaunTiSticks.jpg
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Morning
Round 0

Delrak eyed the Yuan-ti and their dinosaur pets with a fierce glare as he healed Harb during the brief respite in the fight. “Ye all right, lad?” the dwarf asked. “Some’un’s gaein’ t’ pay f’r me beard.” He glowered.

***

Longstrider: Speed 35 (599r)
30 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction: Draw weapon
Action: Cast Longstrider
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+3
Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top