• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Location: Aldani Basin; Encounter: Shambling Mound


End Round Two; Begin Round Three


GM:
[sblock=Party]
Name * (Space) * Perc * AC * HP * Hit Dice * Notes
Chrysagon (D14) PP10* AC18* HP 0!/36 (Restrained, Dying) (Resist Nec/Rad) HD 4/4
Dellrak (E17) PP14* AC15 HP 40/40 HD 4/4
Imogen (C12) PP12 AC14 HP 32/32 THP 0/5 HD 4/4
Harb (G21) PP14 AC15 HP 27/27 HD 4/4
Rodrigo (L19) PP14 AC18* HP 36/36 HD 4/4
[/sblock]
[sblock=NPCs]
Kasqa (E13) PP11 AC13 HP 17/17
Qawasha (E15) PP14 AC11(16) HP 27/27 Spells 4/4 & 3/3
Kupalue (Weed) (B13) PP12* AC13 HP 9/9
Hup'Lo (K18) PP12* AC12 HP 16/16 Dodging
Ukee (I20) PP11 AC12 HP 3/3
[/sblock]
[sblock=Enemies]
Shambling Mound (L17M18) HP less 25
Assassin Vine (D16) HP less 16
[/sblock]



[Sblock=Map]ABasin3.jpg
[/sblock]
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
acrobatics check: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15


Rodrigo gritted his teeth and kept his cool, keeping his footing under the treacherous conditions. "A little help?" he shouted, but a glance showed him things were dire on the other side - again. He hoped they would pull through - and that he would hold out long enough. His eyes darted for a weak point, a vital spot... there! He feinted an overhead slash and darted in a quick trust.

attack vs shambing mound: 1D20+6 = [14]+6 = 20


damage vs mound: 1D8+6 = [1]+6 = 7


He pulled the blade and slashed wildly
2nd attack vs mound using action surge: 1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13

maybe hit vs mound , action surge: 1D8+6 = [3]+6 = 9


He then quickly took a step back, careful not to over-commit, ready to evade or counter attack

[sblock=minisheet]Rodrigo Di Castalone, Human Fighter (battlemaster, criminal(spy)), level 4
HP: 36/36, Hit dice: 4/4
AC: 18
Passive Perception 14
Rapier: +6 to hit, 1d8+6 dmg
Main Gauche (if used main-handed and not to parry) +6 to hit, 1d4+4 or +6 dmg
Crossbow: +6 to hit, 1d8+4 dmg, range 80/320
Darts: +6 to hit, 1d4+4 dmg, range 20/60
Saves: Str: +3, Dex: +4, Con: +4, Int: +1, Wis: +2, Cha: 0
Superiority dice: 4/4, Action surge: used, Second wind: free
Maneuvres: Riposte, Parry, Trip (DC 14)
Potions of healing remaining: 2[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

gargoyleking

Explorer
Harb grabbed the pole from the raft and tried to use it to pole-vault across the gulf of muck between the two islands. Instead, it slid eerily across the bottom and he found himself waste deep in the muck himself.

OOC: Acrobatics: 1d20+5 9

Str Save:: 1d20+2 4
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Chult
Morning
Round 3


Delrak cursed as Chrysagon went down. He swung his axe at the vine again, trying to free his friend, trying not to hit Chrysagon as well, which might have affected his aim.


OOC: Gah! He doesn’t have any healing spells but Goodberry, which really won’t help here!



[sblock=Dellrak Actions]
Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Attack assassin vine
Greataxe, Planar Warrior: 1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13
1D12+1D8+3 = [5]+[6]+3 = 14

Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Greataxe: 1D20+6 = [5]+6 = 11
1D12+3 = [1]+3 = 4

Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]


[sblock=Mini Stats]
Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 40/40 HD: 4/4d10+2


Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:


Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.


Spells
1) 2/3 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
[/sblock]


[sblock=Goals]
[/sblock]


[sblock=Party]
Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Wulf Rygor (NPC) - Half-elf scoutmaster, Camp Vengeance
Tarri (NPC) - cartographer, Camp Vengeance
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior, Camp Vengeance
[/sblock]
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Miss Imogen steps forward, and falls at Chrysagon's body. The pulsing vine seemed to tighten as she approached, little fibers on its surface standing to attention. It was too thick for her to pull away easily, she saw.

Reaching into her pack she removed the one remaining healing potion, and poured it down Chrysagon's throat. Behind her Weed had grabbed one of the antitoxin vials, and added it for good measure.

She stepped back, to a safe distance. For a flash of a second, she hoped that the vine would release Chrysagon and reach for her instead.

OOC: Round 3.
Move, Healing potion (zero left, char sheet updated!), retreat.
Proposed action for Weed: Move, apply antitoxin, retreat.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Rodrigo, Ukee, & Hup'lo vs Shambling Mound

Rodrigo thrust his rapier into the writhing mass of vines, wood, and plants. The blade struck something mushy, but Rodrigo wasn't even sure if he had harmed the creature or not. He ducked under a heavy-looking leafy limb that struck out at him, and was thumped not too badly by another woody protrusion.

Hup'lo climbed over the edge of the now-upright raft and rolled over the top. He got away from the creature and found a safe spot in the underbrush under Ukee's tree. The winged monkey was too scared to help, and she just sat in the tree shrieking and shaking her branch.

GM: Sorry this has taken so long. I was waiting for Fradak, and then I remembered he was unconscious anyway. Rodrigo was both hit and missed, so he has his pick of reactions, I believe.
Damage Taken:
(BGs) Mound 7 (Rodrigo's sword);
(PCs) Rodrigo 7 (Mound Slam);
(NPCs) None
[sblock=Notes & Rolls]
Hup'lo Disengages.
Mound slam vs Rodrigo
2#1d20+7: 2 # 11 [1d20=4] 19 [1d20=12]
2#2d8+4: 2 # 14 [2d8=7, 3] 7 [2d8=1, 2][/sblock]
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Dellrak & Harb vs Assassin Vine

Dellrak struck the writhing vine with his axe, trying to cut Chrysagon free or kill the plant-creature, whichever took. A white liquid leaked from the vine where he struck, but it held his friend tightly. Harb leapt across the gap between the two islands, using the raft's pole as a vault, but grasping vines reached up and twisted the pole to the side. He fell bodily into the water. Still, he was quick to recover and he twisted out of the vines and climbed up onto the mucky island next to Dellrak.

Qawasha & Kasqa vs Assassin Vine

Kasqa reached out for Chrysagon and Qawasha saw what he was trying to do and beat at the vine with his shillelagh while peeling some back with his other hand. Kasqa pulled the unconscious paladin free, wile kicking at the vine for good measure.

Imogen & Weed help Chrysagon

Imogen & Weed came up to help and they administered a healing potion and an antitoxin. Chrysagon awoke, shaken but alive. Miss Imogen moved to what seemed like a safe distance, and for just a moment she hoped that the vine would leave her friend alone and reach for her.

As if it understood her thought, the vine lashed out, over Chrysagon's head and wrapped around her instead...


GM: The vine weirdly has no saving throw with its poison, so I'll just make the antitoxin give Chrys HP like a Healing Potion.
Damage Taken:
(BGs) Vine 14 (Dellrak's Axe);
(PCs) Imogen 10 (Vine wrap) & grappled & 19 poison (at the start of her turn if still grappled);
Chrysagon 6 healing (Imogen's potion) & 9 healing (Weed's antitoxin as a healing potion)
(NPCs) None
[sblock=Notes & Rolls]
Kasqa (with advantage from Qawasha's Help Action) grapple vs Vine (dc14 to escape):
2d20k1+3: 16 [2d20k1=[13], 11]
Assassin Vine vs Imogen
1d20+6: 17 [1d20=11]
2d6+4: 10 [2d6=4, 2]
6d6: 19 [6d6=3, 2, 6, 2, 2, 4]
Miss Imogen's Healing Potion, Weed's Antitoxin
2#2d4+2: 2 # 6 [2d4=3, 1] 9 [2d4=4, 3]
[/sblock]
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Location: Aldani Basin; Encounter: Shambling Mound

End Round Three; Begin Round Four

GM:
[sblock=Party]
Name * (Space) * Perc * AC * HP * Hit Dice * Notes
Chrysagon (D14) PP10* AC18* HP 15/36 (Restrained, Dying) (Resist Nec/Rad) HD 4/4
Dellrak (E17) PP14* AC15 HP 40/40 HD 4/4
Imogen (B14) PP12 AC14 HP 22(3!)/32 THP 0/5 HD 4/4
Harb (D17) PP14 AC15 HP 27/27 HD 4/4
Rodrigo (L19) PP14 AC18* HP 29/36 HD 4/4
[/sblock]
[sblock=NPCs]
Kasqa (E13) PP11 AC13 HP 17/17
Qawasha (E15) PP14 AC11(16) HP 27/27 Spells 4/4 & 3/3
Kupalue (Weed) (C13) PP12* AC13 HP 9/9
Hup'Lo (H21) PP12* AC12 HP 16/16
Ukee (I20) PP11 AC12 HP 3/3
[/sblock]
[sblock=Enemies]
Shambling Mound (L17M18) HP less 32
Assassin Vine (D16) HP less 30
[/sblock]



[Sblock=Map]ABasin4.jpg
[/Sblock]
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
OOC: So I presume the grapple is automatic (no contested roll?). And there is no save for the poison? That's interesting - I may not have thought this through! But Miss Imogen is conscious at least, and so...

Action: attempt to escape grapple: [roll0] acrobatics. If Weed can Help, then with advantage, as its tiny arms get leverage... [roll1].

If Weed can't help, there is a vial of Antitoxin still. If the poison doesn't have a save, then applying it preventatively to Miss Imogen isn't worthwhile; better to leave it until she (or someone else) is down.

If She escapes, she will move further away!


The vine entangles Miss Imogen's leg, and begins to constrict. Chrysagon is free, as she suddenly feels the stabbing pain from the poison coursing into her bloodstream.

Despite herself, she screams.

Using the arrow in her hand she attempt to use it as a lever to escape the tendril's clutches.She writhes on the ground, her agility struggling to overcome the grip of the vegetation and her own modesty.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Chult
Morning
Round 4


“Damn it! We dunnae ‘ave time fer this!” Dellrak cursed as the vine lashed out at Imogen now that Chrysagon was free. “On yer feet, man!” he snapped at the paladin as the dwarf continued to hack at the vine.


[sblock=Dellrak Actions]
Save:
Move: To the vine
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Attack assassin vine
Greataxe, Planar Warrior: 1D20+6 = [15]+6 = 21
1D12+1D8+4 = [3]+[5]+4 = 12

Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Greataxe: 1D20+6 = [9]+6 = 15
1D12+4 = [10]+4 = 14

Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]


[sblock=Mini Stats]
Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 40/40 HD: 4/4d10+2


Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:


Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.


Spells
1) 2/3 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
[/sblock]


[sblock=Goals]
[/sblock]


[sblock=Party]
Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Wulf Rygor (NPC) - Half-elf scoutmaster, Camp Vengeance
Tarri (NPC) - cartographer, Camp Vengeance
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior, Camp Vengeance
[/sblock]
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: I'll start by doing a riposte for that missed attack, and will post more tomorrow.

Rodrigo grunted as one hit landed, ducked under a clumsy swing and stabbed at the "arm pit", hoping it was a weak point.

riposte vs shambling mound: 1D20+6 = [15]+6 = 21


riposte attack vs shambling mound dmg, has superiority dice added to it: 1D8+6+1D8 = [7]+6+[3] = 16


The blade bit deep, sinking a foot before Rodrigo yanked it back. He hoped he had done some damage...

[sblock=minisheet]Rodrigo Di Castalone, Human Fighter (battlemaster, criminal(spy)), level 4
HP: 36/36, Hit dice: 4/4
AC: 18
Passive Perception 14
Rapier: +6 to hit, 1d8+6 dmg
Main Gauche (if used main-handed and not to parry) +6 to hit, 1d4+4 or +6 dmg
Crossbow: +6 to hit, 1d8+4 dmg, range 80/320
Darts: +6 to hit, 1d4+4 dmg, range 20/60
Saves: Str: +3, Dex: +4, Con: +4, Int: +1, Wis: +2, Cha: 0
Superiority dice: 3/4, Action surge: used, Second wind: free
Maneuvres: Riposte, Parry, Trip (DC 14)
Potions of healing remaining: 2[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Fradak

Explorer
The Angel fade away when suddenly Chrysagon regained consciousness, spitting out the antitoxin. By the Nine Hells, what happened? He we was pushing the raft to the island then... coming from nowhere,something entered into his mouth and chocked him.

“On yer feet, man!”
Hearing the call, Chrysagon stood up and grasped his flail as a reflex.

ooc: If the Vine is still on Miss Imogen:
He looked for the root and smashed the vine.

ooc: Else:
The vine was down but Rod was still engaged with the other thing. Chrysagon called for Kelemvor's help and ran to his friend.

OOC: Attack on the Vine: 1D20+5 = [14]+5 = 19
1D10+5 = [9]+5 = 14
Or
Sacred Weapon and move toward the Mound.
 
Last edited:

gargoyleking

Explorer
Chrysagon had been saved from the vines, and now he stood with Dellrack, hacking at them. Harb had only his scythe for cutting, and this he used now, slashing and kicking at one of the tendrils now holding Miss Imogen.

OOC: .com/roll/742791]Sythe and Unarmed[/url]: 1d20+5 10 1d4+3 6 1d20+5 11 1d4+3 6
 
Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rodrigo heard Chrysagon rise again - he yet lived! But he did not dare take his eye of the shambling mound. He stepped to the left and stabbed low, before withdrawing again.

Attack on the shambling mound round 3: 1D20+6 = [4]+6 = 10


He was having a hard time gauging if his efforts had any effects. Did the creature feel pain at all?

[sblock=minisheet]Rodrigo Di Castalone, Human Fighter (battlemaster, criminal(spy)), level 4
HP: 29/36, Hit dice: 4/4
AC: 18
Passive Perception 14
Rapier: +6 to hit, 1d8+6 dmg
Main Gauche (if used main-handed and not to parry) +6 to hit, 1d4+4 or +6 dmg
Crossbow: +6 to hit, 1d8+4 dmg, range 80/320
Darts: +6 to hit, 1d4+4 dmg, range 20/60
Saves: Str: +3, Dex: +4, Con: +4, Int: +1, Wis: +2, Cha: 0
Superiority dice: 3/4, Action surge: used, Second wind: free
Maneuvres: Riposte, Parry, Trip (DC 14)
Potions of healing remaining: 2[/sblock]
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Rodrigo, Ukee, and Hup'lo vs Mound

Rodrigo thrust his rapier into the plant-creature and danced back as a big limb of wood-and-leaves swung around at him. He had a hard time being sure if he was hurting the creature or not, but he had kept himself mostly safe from it so far.

His spears and his raft-pole were floating free on the surface of the swamp, but Hup'lo looked above him to the stunted tree where Ukee was jumping up and down. The monkey flew free as he pulled the largest branch from the tree and rushed back next to Rodrigo and he beat at the plant-creature with his new, make-shift weapon.

GM: I'm gonna have to break this up the second time around, or I'll never get it done:
Damage Taken:
(BGs) Mound 16 (Rodrig's Rapier) & 7 (Hup'lo's Branch);
(PCs) None; (NPCs) None
[sblock=Notes & Rolls]
Mound vs Rodrigo
1D20+7 = [10]+7 = 17
2D8+4 = [6, 8]+4 = 18
1D20+7 = [9]+7 = 16
2D8+4 = [1, 2]+4 = 7

Hup'Lo Branch vs Mound
http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=228297http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=228297_: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [17, 5]+3 = 20
1D6+1 = [6]+1 = 7

[/sblock]
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Imogen, Weed, Kasqa & Qawasha

Weed pulled at the vines as Imogen tried to free herself, but it was no use. The vines squeezed tighter, threatening to crush the air out of her, all while its sharp barbs unleashed a terrible toxin. Kasqa and Qawasha worked together to try to free her, as they had managed to do for Chrysagon, but the stubborn vine was determined to hold onto its prey.

Chrys, Harb, and Dellrak vs Vine

Taking another tactic, the rest of the Sticks did their best to free her by cutting and beating the vine away. Dellrak got in a good strike with his axe, and Chrys recovered sufficiently to slam at a mass of writhing vines with his flail. The man not quite known as Harb cut away with his scythe, but more vines burst forth, wrapping at his and Dellrak's legs.

GM: These plant-creatures are oddly designed. I'm not sure I like them.
Damage Taken:
(BGs) Vine 14 (Chrys' flail) & 12 (Dellrak's Axe);
(PCs) Imogen 19 poison (At the start of her turn, so maybe something can be done first?);
(NPCs) None but Dellrak and Harb need to roll dc13 Strength saves or be Restrained.
[sblock=Notes & Rolls]
An unusual format here. This is Kasqa and Qawasha trying to grapple her free (dc14)
The damage is what she'll take if they DON'T free her with a 14. Gahk! Terrible roll!
http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=228381http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2283812D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [3, 5]+3 = 8
6D6 = [4, 1, 2, 2, 5, 5] = 19

[/sblock]
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Location: Aldani Basin; Encounter: Shambling Mound


End Round Four; Begin Round Five


GM:
[sblock=Party]
Name * (Space) * Perc * AC * HP * Hit Dice * Notes
Chrysagon (D14) PP10* AC18* HP 15/36 (Resist Nec/Rad) HD 4/4
Dellrak (E17) PP14* AC15 HP 40/40 (Restrained?) HD 4/4
Imogen (B14) PP12 AC14 HP 3(0!)/32 (Restrained, Dying) THP 0/5 HD 4/4
Harb (D17) PP14 AC15 HP 27/27 (Restrained?) HD 4/4
Rodrigo (L19) PP14 AC18* HP 29/36 HD 4/4
[/sblock]
[sblock=NPCs]
Kasqa (E13) PP11 AC13 HP 17/17
Qawasha (E15) PP14 AC11(16) HP 27/27 Spells 4/4 & 3/3
Kupalue (Weed) (C13) PP12* AC13 HP 9/9
Hup'Lo (H21) PP12* AC12 HP 6/16
Ukee (I20) PP11 AC12 HP 3/3
[/sblock]
[sblock=Enemies]
Shambling Mound (L17M18) HP less 48
Assassin Vine (D16) HP less 56
[/sblock]



OOC: Map is pretty much unchanged
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
Harb felt a tendril wrapping around his leg, suddenly he snapped it up in a kick towards mid-air, snapping the vine before it could take hold.

"We must cut her free quickly. Watch for vines at your feet."

He continued to apply scythe and fist to the task, before moving out of reach of the creeping vines.

OOC: Str Save:: 1d20+2 19

Sythe and Unarmed: 1d20+5 12 1d4+3 4 1d20+5 18 1d4+3 4
 

Fradak

Explorer
The searing pain was still burning Chrysagon's veins and seeing his friend enduring the terrible toxin unleashed his wrath. The flail ignited and Chrysagon slammed the Vine with Kelemvor's divine fire.

OOC: Action: Flail + Divine Smite: 1d20+5 17
Damage: 1d10+5 14 2d8 8
Total: 22

[sblock=StatBlock]HP: 15/36 HD: 4/4 d10
AC: 18 (Resist Nec & Rad)
PP: 10
=============
Divine Sense: 5/5
Lay on Hands: 20/20 hp
Healing Hands: 4/4 hp
Channel Divinity: 1/1
Spell slots:
1st: 2/3
Concentration:
=============
Equipment:
Javelins: 5/5
Health Potions: 0/0
Coins: 69 gp, 5 sp
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Though the Sticks had not noticed them until just now, a small Tabaxi hunting party had heard the sound of their battle and were approaching from the east.

* * *

Myrall (Dew) saw the strangers across the water, fighting with two plant-creatures - a shambling mound, and an assassin vine. His companions Grrol (Rockmoss) and Braapp (Climbing Vine) were carrying their canoe. In these swampy waters to the west of their village, there were far too many opportunities to get very, very wet. This was one of them: A large body of leech-infested water separated them from the small muddy islands where the fight was taking place.

[sblock=Map]
ABasin5.jpg[/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top