D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

Fradak

Explorer
"Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the s...
"

When Harb raised hi hand, Chrysagon freezed. Then, synchronized with Dellrack, he put the canoe down in slow motion and get ready for anything.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
With still four hours to go before nightfall, the humid heat of the jungle made it feel difficult to breathe as the Sticks slowly slid their canoe into the water a little ways upstream and through some newly-hacked tall grasses. Mosquitoes were terrible here, and their bites made terribly itchy welts. Eventually, everyone was in the canoe and free of the grasses. Keeping an eye on the crocodile, which watched them intently but made no moves, they slowly paddled away up the slowly-moving, but large volume of water flowing down the river Soshenstar.

OOC: Yeah that fight was easily avoided. I don't believe that every large predator has a taste for adventurers. Okay, so I forgot before: I'd like Harb and Rodrigo to roll a dc10 Con Save or have a single level of Exhaustion (Disadv. on ability checks). It was hard work getting the canoe up the falls, and they didn't do a great job of it, but they're tough. They'll be okay. I'd like another round of checks to narrate. It only takes two to paddle against the current (Athletics checks) though you can take shifts. You won't have to navigate this stretch (further upriver the tributaries and the main river can get confusing, but here it's obvious enough that no checks are necessary.) So, I guess that's a lot of people available to keep an eye out (Perception). If you can think of something else to do, throw it in. One check each.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Dellrak was glad he didn't swap out the elven armor for something heavier. In this wet heat he may have had a rough going of it. Still heavier armor could keep the bugs at bay.

OOC: Can we use the Help rule to give one or two of us, advantage on our Perception checks? If so Dellrak will do that as he paddles and keeps an eye out.
Athletics [roll0]

EDIT: So that is two 19s, and two 20s I have rolled in non-combat situations. I am never going to swing my axe again. LOL

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen is astounded at how quickly some of the men in the party avoid doing real work. Having bypassed the crocodile, she positions herself near the front of the canoe and picks up a paddle.

After about ten minutes, she can feel the wood of the paddle tearing at her palms. "May we pause for a minute?" she asks, and when she feels Dellrak slow, she binds her hands with long strips of bandage, so that she is will be able to hold her bow later.

When she's ready, she continues, and is grateful for Dellrak's strong, insistent stroke guiding the canoe.

OOC: Athletics [roll0].

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Dellrak and Miss Imogen quietly dipped their covered oars in the sluggish, wide water of the river while Harb occasionally quietly made an adjustment stroke here or there, to keep the canoe under the long shadows of the largest of the jungle's leaves. Rodrigo and Chrysagon kept a keen eye out for trouble. Some large, leather-winged lizard-birds flew high overhead, but they did not seem to take any notice of the canoe.

The group had found their rhythm quickly and the hours dropped by as the afternoon wore on.

If it wasn't for the occasional downpour, and the always-oppressive heat (and the terrible biting insects), the serene paddling might have almost been pleasant. As they came toward a blind bend in the river, Qawasha said quietly (the first sound anyone had made for over an hour), "There are two options I know for camp tonight. One is just around this bend, on the south-western bank, defended by a series of rocks. Another possibility would be a small island that is about an hour further on. It has the joy of being not on either side of the river, both of which have their perils."

Weed clicked his forearms together and pointed forward, but Qawasha ignored him and did not translate.

Remove ads