D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Given the jungle, we're out of sight essentially when we enter the forest. But I would like to see the item the mage provided for the contact. It may be enchanted to allow her to track us, maybe even to see and hear. And it wouldn't do to show the strangers ways of the jungle. Or to the villages."

OOC: Arcana (with inspiration)+ Detect Magic i.e.+2+1d6 for the skill (cannot roll right now, feel free if you read it before I get home)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Dellrak led the Sticks eastward until they got past the red clay clearing and into the cover of the jungle. Then he and the tabaxi set a course south and west, heading back toward the south shore of the Aldani swamp. Myrral asked Miss Imogen to see the scroll-case, and he confirmed that it was possible for Valindra to easily scry their location from a mark on the scroll-case. Further more, the three scrolls themselves were rigged to send to Valindra, even if the reader intended to use them to communicate with another person. (Valindra would be able to 'listen in' on the communication).

All of these extra enchantments were possible to disable, but they also were rigged with protective runes, which would cause anyone tampering with them to potentially be harmed, by psychic backlash.

OOC: You can toss the case and/or the scrolls, or try to disarm each with two (one for the case, and one for the scrolls) Arcana, Sleight-of-Hand, or Thieves' Tools rolls (you can pick the skill - but it requires pen and ink). Both are dc16. Failure on either will result in 20 psychic damage (each).
Myrral's Arcana check:
Check: 1D20+2+1D6 = [17]+2+[4] = 23
Trap: 5D8 = [3, 2, 7, 2, 6] = 20

Neurotic

Myrral looks over the case pointing silently to the rune and then growling something ti the hunters.

They run into the jungle and return fairly quickly with several thorns and a kind of bulb oozing sticky liquid.

The bard carefully takes some of the liquid and pushes the thorn into the case enough to ruin it, but looking as if it just got broken in normal wear and tear of the jungle.

Sleight of hand with advantage : 2D20.HIGH(1)+5+1D6 = [17, 15]+5+[3] = 25

Ooc: assuming this counts as help of course, but I had two good rolls :)

Last edited:

Neurotic

He lowers the case to the floor and motions others after him for some distance, leaving tabaxi away from, but in sight of the thing.

Looking around and focusing his senses he tries to hear the Song of the trees, to feel the break in the pattern before he describes what he found out.

"We can use the scrolls. But they should be kept away or the tracking magic disrupted. You wouldn't have a case of heavy magic? Or one of those pouches from the legends where entire tribes stock can be kept?"

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen is the last to leave the hospitality. Her companions have made clear their distrust of this woman, and she would be surprised if that were not also clear to her. As she departs, she thanks their host politely, complementing the wine, which had been kept ice cool. Miss Imogen pkcks up her bow, and stands, guarding the entrance to the place the woman occupies, while Quawasha continues to pray. Weed had positioned himself on an exposed root beside her, and watched the entranceway along with her.

Of course, no conflict came.

Quawasha returned from his prayers, and Miss Imogen received the scrolls, and the levitation did not falter partway through and soon their feet were back on the ground in the artificial clearing.

Miss Imogen had no intention of discussing their proposed journey until they were well in the trees, and certainly she did not intend to serve as an agent for this woman she had just met (Uncle would never allow such quick passing of loyalties), but she set off to the east along a likely path, where she would continue for a mile before they turned to the Southeast.

She is happy to pass the scrolls to anyone who wants them. When the marks are identified, she suggests burying them in the mud before they turn Southwest, or in whatever direction Quawasha suggests.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Once he felt that they were away from the scrolls (in case spying magic was on them) and looking around suspiciously to make sure no more mundane spies were present (do I make a perception check), Qawasha got the others go come close.

I received a vision from Ubtao - I believe he has been trying to show us the way for some time, but I was not wise enough to see the signs.

There is a limit to how far the eye can see but up there... I could see things hundreds of miles away, as if my vision was greater than the keenest of eagles. I think that this blessing might return, I just need to be upon a high place.

There was a great eruption to the south. A volcano threw a great flaming rock, and while I am not sure why, this rock is of great importance in our quest. It left a great scar in the jungle. Perhaps this has uncovered something. Perhaps the rock itself is an object of power.

But it is far. The volcano was in the Peaks of Flame, 150 miles to the south, and this flaming rock landed 60 miles (edit) to the west. This is quite the journey in this foresaken jungle...

BUT, there is another way. When I thought about the distances, I remembered the ship, in the tree tops. I could clearly see it. It is 100 miles south west of here. I do not believe that it is directly related to our quest... but think of it! Its blue sails are intact. If we could operate it, we could travel in the skies and reach the burning rock easily.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
"Ubtao is guiding us - his influence is greatly diminished, but still... what are the odds that I would have been at this spot, precisely at the moment the eruption occurred? And what eruption throws a rock 60 miles? Now that I know that to look for, I hope my guidance will be better".

"But still - 100 miles in this jungle will not be easy. There will be more undead, that I am certain of!"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Qawasha's view from the Heart

HeartView.png

• The stone flew Westward, actually, and the scar is in the jungle between the word "Honor" and the Volcanoes to the south.)
  • For point of Reference, the Tabaxi Village is in the nice-looking jungle to the right of the word "Basin".
  • For the Curious: "Ataaz" means "Gorge" or "Canyon" in Chultan. I left those two spots on the map because they were too much work to erase, and aren't particularly secret things.
  • It's hard to see, but the south shore of the Aldani Basin is just west of the Heart, so you might not bother getting back in the canoes, unless you want to head directly west and then go down through those hills.

Neurotic

OOC: The maps looks like we could be faster going east (river travel) then south toward the peek (from the lake over the stones) - obviously, flying is better in the future, but we're also going to be targets for anything flying. Just something to consider :)

Remove ads