• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Halfling Quest - Rooting Around

hafrogman

Adventurer
Jerran shakes his head ruefully as he lets out a held breath.

"I still think you're all making far too much out of this. There could have been something there, but we have no idea if it wanted to hurt us at all. At least until you all decided to jump it. And if there was something, it's gone. Probably more afraid of us than we are of it. I know it's dangerous down here, and I know you're all more than a little frightened. I am too, but we cannot all go jumping at shadows. That will get us nowhere. Go on Eddie, let's see what's up there after all this."

Ferrix

Explorer
OOC: I haven't seen EvilHalfling around for a bit so I'm NPCing Eddie for the moment (three NPC's and three PC's, this is out of hand.

Eddie looks at the daunting cave wall which slopes over them slightly before it reaches the ledge a good fifteen feet up. "I don't know, I was never good at climbing."

"I'll give it a go, it's not a tree, but it shouldn't be too bad." Kiylea braces herself and searches about for something to start up with, but after a few failed scrambling attempts at handholds she sighs. "It's just no good, with the overhang and lack of handholds, well, I doubt any of us could climb it." Climbing the cavern wall (1d20+5=8) vs. DC 25

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Ringly nods, "Y-yes, let's go on." He looks at the spot again, nervously <Kiylea wouldn't have said anything if nothing was there>, "Go ahead, Alton."

Slippshade

First Post
Bubbles just shook her head as Jerran and Alton butted heads again. Unfortunetly as far as she could tell they were both right. Could they really take the chance to converse with anything down here after they had been attacked once already? But if Alton hadn't detected the presence of evil then should they just attack something our of fear. Thinking about the dilemma to herself she decided that while Jerran's stance was ethically correct, she would much rather knock the being unconcious first then talk to it when it wakes up. It would be safer that way....and did she just call Jerran ethical!

Slippshade

First Post
"Eddie, why don't you come up front with me. We'll need your eyes. Kiylea you come after so you can use your bow if need be. Alton and Ringly after and Jerran in the back to make sure we aren't being followed." The girl suggested. She figured Alton may have a problem with this. He wanted to be in front, but sometimes it was best if a leader wasn't the first to face danger.

Leader? She thought to herself. But why not him. none of you really know what you're doing and he seems to be able to tell when those infernal creatures are about.

Bubbles wasn't a leader, or at least not a tactician.

To be honest Bubbles was scared. She would be crazy not too. This wasn't acting out Ringold vs. the goblin hordes with her friends. They could get hurt as Alton already was and the thought of losing any of her friends terrified her.

Boddynock

First Post
Slippshade said:
"Eddie, why don't you come up front with me. We'll need your eyes. Kiylea you come after so you can use your bow if need be. Alton and Ringly after and Jerran in the back to make sure we aren't being followed."
Alton opened his mouth to argue, then closed it again. She's right, he thought. With this wound, I'm not the best fighter here. Bubbles is the best person for the front rank, and Kiylea needs to be in the second row. But I need to be able to step up if necessary. Eddie's not as handy in a fight as I am, even when I'm wounded. And the closer to the front I am, the more warning we have of any evil ahead.

Maybe I should use Father Alton's poultice? No, he said to use it sparingly. Time enough, if we get into another fight. Still, perhaps Jerran should be in the middle of the party, ready to use it if necessary. Oh, that's no good - because then we'd need Eddie or Kiylea at the back. Oh, Lady, my head hurts. I think it would be better if Eddie brought up the rear with Ringly ... Ah, I'm going round in circles. Just leave it at Bubbles' suggestion.

Not wanting to cause further tension, Alton supports Bubbles' plan. "That sounds good, Bubbles. I'll stay in the middle rank with Kiylea, and Jerran and Ringly can bring up the rear. But I'll be ready to move up if we run into trouble!"

Slippshade

First Post
Bubbles smiled at Alton in a way that was clearly thanking him for not fighting her on the subject. She knew he wouldn't be happy with Eddie up front, but one thing Bubbles had learned about herself iwas that she isn't the most observant of people and Eddie and Kiylea's eyesight was much better at picking up subtle movements in these caves than her own. If fighting started she would step in front of the younger Eddie to protect him.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Jerran shrugs.

"Alright, if we're going to get going, let's get going. We've already wasted enough time here."

He bows deeply towards Bubbles.

"Lead on."

Remove ads