[IC] Industrygothica's "The Hive"

Mista Collins

First Post
Seeing her companions in the middle of combat, Tanith chants something in the Draconic tongue and points he hand at the badger. Three balls of force come out of her hand and strike the badger hard.

DMG 13

wmasters

First Post
Hearing the sounds of battle, Scodi curses. Despite his concern for his companion he heads to the sounds of fighting to see how bad the situation is, nocking an arrow in his shortbow.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Scodi comes up behind Tanith just in time to see the balls of energy shoot forth from her hands. They speed across the distance and unerringly strike the badger, sending it into the throes of death.

Jonas and Courage are startled by the flashes of light that passed between them, sending this creature back into the earth. They turn simultaneously to the direction from which the balls of force came and see their friends standing at the ready. Well, most of their friends anyway.

As the badger stops twitching and finally succombs to its pitiful death, the foursome make their way back to camp to collect their belongings and their comatose comrade. Scodi tells the group of his worries, and of how the man barely seems to be breathing. Perhaps even more strange, however, is that as they come upon the camp, Vorian's equipment is still tucked neatly away next to his bedroll.... his empty bedroll.

Courage will notice several fresh tracks made by average sized humanoid feet. There appears to be no attempt to hide them. Almost at once, the entire party noticed the small note attached to Vorian's empty bedroll.

Our tracks are not hidden, as your ranger will note. I bid thee not to follow them; our concerns are not with you. We have watched you all night, and taken the courtesy of providing a distraction so as not to involve you. Know that you are not our target, but could have been all the same.

Be wary of the company you keep. The man with whom you've shared your fire is a murderer, convicted of killing a beautiful young girl, and now a guard slain during his escape. His punishment will be just, but yours need not be. Carry on with your journey while this man comes to the end of his...

The letter is not signed, but is embossed with a simple hawk in flight, held back by a ball-and-chain.

wmasters

First Post
Scodi looks over at the empty bedroll. "Oh boy. Well we can't just leave him. Let's have a look at that note." he says, reaching for it. Studying it, Scodi tries to remember if the hawk in flight is a symbol he's come across before.

OOC: Knowledge: history +6; local +2; nobles & nobility +6; bardic +8. One of those might be appropriate...

industrygothica

Adventurer
Scodi recognizes the symbol as that of a bona fide prison for hardened criminals. Although the name escapes him at the moment, he deems the document to be legit.

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
Jonas will rip the note out of the hands of whoever's holding it and skewer it to a nearby log or other piece of flotsam with his rapier. May Olidammara take your souls and use 'em for marionettes, you gorram vigilante bastards!!! He yells in the direction of the tracks.

The young cleric will take a moment to calm down and continues. I don't believe that man was the murderin' sort, and I can hardly acknowledge the kind of authority that resorts to these kinds of tactics to uphold "justice." Knowing what little I do of the way the authorities work around here, it could be some sort of trumped-up charge to get him out of the way of some sheriff whom he might've rubbed the wrong way. I for one want to know the whole story behind this.

But on the other hand, I've pledged myself to aid Miss Bloodstone in her quest to recover the dryad nuts, and I will honor that pledge if she wishes to continue on that way.

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Courage will also note that the letter is indeed legitimate. While she cannot be certain if the man was innocent or guilty, she can rest easy knowing that no man was ever sent there without a lawful trail and a finding of guilt, be it an accurate judgement or not.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Jonas. I understand and respect your concern. Sometimes the forces of law do not act with... the grace we might wish. Part of this is repugnant, but I do not believe it is evil. These operatives have been watching us while we remained unaware, and they have taken our travelling companion without a great deal of dissembling. Were we to pursue these tracks, it is possible we should catch up to them. If it is your wish, I will go with you. But it is as likely that the tracks will lead nowhere that we can travel."

As she says this, Courage is loking Jonas in the eyes directly. She has pulled out a cloth and is wiping her axe clean. Later, she will wash the cloth in water. But for now she is thinking, and then she decides to continue.

"May I tell you something? Not everyone knows this, but Paladins have the ability to see into people's hearts, to know if they are truly evil. I had the ability to look into Vorien's heart, yesterday, or even when he was sleeping--into the hearts of any of you. But I did not do so, because it can be seen as an invasion by those who are good. Hmm. It's a paradox, and a test. Many people believe these things are relative, but there are absolutes in this world, as you, Jonas, of all of us, should know. Had I done so, we perhaps would have known more than we do now. Perhaps we would be at peace; perhaps we would not have begun this journey. But the question remains, should I have examined the hearts of each of you as you slept last night? When I was a paladin, I would not hesitated to have done so. Perhaps you have the wisdom to answer me with that."

She smiles at him, wiping badger remains off of her chin. She looks to the creaturte -- is it still there? was it perhaps magically summoned? -- and then back to Jonas.

"So," says Courage, raising her voice so all can hear, but still speaking primarily to Jonas, "Do we proceed, or do we follow these tracks?"

Last edited:

wmasters

First Post
Scodi sighs as he sits at the side of the now vacant bedroll. "I don't know. I don't know what to do. It seems wrong to just abandon him on the back of some letter, whoever it's from. But if it's genuine... well I'd rather not have anything to do with it at all. He didn't seem like a murderer to me."

Seeing Courage wiping badger remains from him, he looks up, "Are you hurt? Sorry I didn't get there sooner, I didn't hear you."

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
So you release me from my pledge? Not many would do that, especially when dealing with an Olidamarran, a member of an order which I freely admit is not always as good as their word. Jonas says, somewhat suprised by the boldness on Miss Bloodstone's part. There are absolutes of course, but there is also the matter of choice. It makes things easier and harder for us to live in the world. I feel either course of action might be a right thing to do, and yet somehow I may come to regret either one. What of Vorien? Maybe he did what they said, maybe he didn't. Maybe he has some way of proving himself innocent, we don't know. But now what of the folks at the inn? What defense do they have? If we don't get to the bottom of that case, I can only see one way of it ending for them. For me, now that all the factors have been weighed, the choice is simple.

But maybe not for our other companions. You extended me a great courtesy just now Miss Bloodstone, and for that I am eternally grateful. Now I ask on our friends' behalf that you give them the same courtesy, let them choose for themselves the course they'll follow.

Remove ads