D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

FitzTheRuke

Legend
One near miss was so near, that it left a mark, though one that was not life-threatening.

OOC: So Viarar will take 9 damage, then. With everyone having a hard time hitting, it MIGHT actually be a good idea to try to sunder the armour's shield I'm not sure what would be best.[/b]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians vs Corrupted Animated Armour
GStair3.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Stairs; Visibility: Light Obscurment ("Smoke")
Elevation: Central Open-Air Column (20 foot drop, though there is a railing);
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14(15) HP 58/58 HD 2/6 PP15* SS 3/4 2/2
Escella AC14 HP 19/33 HD 3/6 PP18 SS 4/4 1/3 2/2 SP 5/5
Lionel AC16 HP 51/51 HD 5/6 PP14
Tommi AC14 HP 34/39 HD 3/6 PP17
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 36/45 HD 2/6 PP13* SS 2/4 2/3 2/3
(NPCs)
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 5/10 PP14* Shock+4,1d8; SS 3/3 fly60 Help
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Helmed Horror AC20* HP60ea PP14(BS)
-HH1 15/60; HH2 60/60
GM: End Round Two; Begin Round Three

OOC: Lionel can take two turns this round, not having gone in round two.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi lobs another stone at the creature Orb5 is distracting, and it lands a resounding hit. "Thanks, li'l buddy," he says, realizing he has invested more into Orb emotionally since its help at the gate than he had ever done before.

He reaches into his pocket, and breathes into three more pebbles.

OOC: Attack 1d20+7 (with help from Orb)= 23. Damage (w.SA) = 4d6_4=17 magical bludgeoning.
No move. Bonus: Cast magic stone (3 stones left.)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates
Morning
Round 3

Angis grunted in frustration as his axes continued to rebound harmlessly off the animated armor.

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6+Dex 100/400
Bolts: 55
Bolts used:

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move: To HH2
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Attack HH2
Battleaxe hunters mark: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14
1D8+1D6+2 = [2]+[1]+2 = 5

Bonus Action: Off hand attack
Battleaxe hunters mark: 1D20+5 = [11]+5 = 16
1D8+1D6+2 = [8]+[5]+2 = 15

Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Battleaxe hunters mark: 1D20+5 = [20]+5 = 25
1D8+1D6+2 = [6]+[6]+2 = 14

Crit: Crit damage hunters mark: 1D8+1D6 = [6]+[1] = 7
Hunter’s Mark (if needed):
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark (HH2)
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 58/58 HD: 2/6d10+2

Bolts: 50
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 2/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
Primal Awareness (cast each spell once per long rest): Speak with Animals, Beast Sense
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.

Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Lionel sets his sight again on the animated armour. The armour paused for a second and looked up at Lionel, its red glowing eye locked into Lionel's. At that moment, Lionel and let the bolt loose and it flew straight through the visor and hit the red glowing eye.
Lionel quickly shot off another bolt but in his excitement the bolt missed.

Round 2
Move: Stay high on stairs
Action: Crossbow attack, with damage and sneak attack: 1D20+7 = [20]+7 = 27
1D8+4+3D6 = [2]+4+[4, 5, 5] = 20
. Wow! Critical hit. Extra crate damage Crit damage: 1D8+3D6 = [4]+[3, 6, 6] = 19 for a total of 39.
Bonus Action: Insightful Fighting passed last time so Lionel can use sneak attack.
Round 3
Move: Stay high on stairs
Action: Crossbow attack, with damage and sneak attack: 1D20+7 = [11]+7 = 18
1D8+4+3D6 = [4]+4+[6, 4, 3] = 21
. Miss.
Bonus Action: Insightful Fighting passed last time so Lionel can use sneak attack.

Vairar changed his tactics - with more than half of the attacks pinging off shields of the constructs, he targets the shield directly. On the construct that deflected his last thrust the pike directly into the shield, hitting its bullseye center. With customary sonic effect for the thunder priest, the shield vibrates on the armored construct's arm.

One detail for target the shield: should it have separate AC (I mean, the plate armor doesn't help the shield) - if it is metal shield, it could actually have plate level AC, but probably not SHIELD AC as extra protection

I separated the rolls for damage since I don't know if the booming blade counts.

Excellent damage rolls!
The shield takes 19 damage from Shatterpike (plus additional 8 thunder damage if booming blade counts for the object hit)
Hit on Animated Armor 2 so potentially easier target for Angis
_: 1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25
1D20+6 = [20]+6 = 26
1D10+3 = [8]+3= 11

Crit bonus: 1D10 = [8] = 8
Booming blade; damage on moving: 1D8 = [8] = 8
2D8 = [7, 7] = 14

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Vairar thrust his pike dead center on the shield of the animated armour. There was a thunderous cracking sound and the shield split in twain and clattered to the floor.

OOC: HH2's AC becomes "only" 18! I understand @MetaVoid's reasoning for thinking that the AC might be separate from the overall creature's, but for simplicity sake (both are moving targets) I'd like to leave it as "hit the AC, choose to target the creature or the shield". For more how-the-sausage-is-made: I ruled that these very well-made shields have a damage threshold of 10 (do less than 10 in a hit and they are unharmed) and 20 HP. Booming blade works (I can't imagine why not) and so, 27 damage destroyed the shield in one hit. Well done!

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
The armor hit with the spear staggers for a moment, but rights itself almost immediately. Shield arm, with the remains of the shattered shield comes up, holding the sword in both hands now. It swings at the priest, but the shield shard catches on the armor. It throws its aim and the sword swishes close, but harmlessly by Vairar.

The other one however uses the opportunity to thrust under the swing and it catches Vairar solidly in the torso.

Remove ads