D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yet again, poor Escella tried to gather eldritch energy and send it at the ogress, but yet again the energy failed its mark. To her, the worst of it was the sympathetic, patient look on the face of her guard. She was not judged, but she was, perhaps, pitied.

Pain caused an angry, determined focus in Tommi, who climbed the rocky cliff with ease. Finding the slumbering sniper, he ran his fiendish hobgoblin blade, 'gutter' across the orc's throat. As the orc awoke wide-eyed and gurgling, he rolled the brute off of the ledge and watched as the body tumbled down, striking the rocks below. He was in a red haze, and he only snapped out of it when Titus' winged cat Morwen flew over to him and landed nearby, stretching out and demanding affection.

Dandin lunged at the Orog, who beat his weapon aside with the butt of his axe. The orog spun back-and-forth between the halfling and the dwarf, as if he couldn't decide who kill first. Settling on Dandin was a fatal mistake, as Angis took the opportunity to bury his axe into the big orc's side, and the orog fell to the ground.

Sir Darfin and his guards gave Vairar room to work with his spear. The ogress and the elf cleric were arguing in orcish, neither giving way, until Lionel sent one of the wagon's large quarrels, timed perfectly as Titus steadied the horses, across the road and into the ogress' enormous chest. She stopped, mid-insult and fell, nearly burying Vairar.

In the force-cage, the orcish shaman tried once more in vain to soothe the angry bear, and was terribly mauled before being forced to flee. The orc scrambled up the invisible barrier, and collapsed on the other side, surrendering to Vairar and the elf Lord behind him by saying in orcish:

"Luthic the Cave Mother has forsaken me for you. She turns the bear against me. You have killed my family. You are strong, like Gruumsh the Ruiner. My life is yours to take or leave."
GM: Resolutions
(PCs)
Angis did 15 (axe) damage to Orog2 (dead)
Dandin healed himself 7 & missed (sword)
Escella missed (EB)
Lionel did 16 (xbow) damage to Ogre
Titus
held the horses
Tommi killed the sleeping Sniper
Vairar
healed himself 6 & missed (spear)
(NPCs)
Darfin missed again
SunElf Guard1 dodged
SunElf Guard2 dodged
SunElf Guard3 dodged
Blaze dodged
ORB5 dashed (flying)
Morwen dashed (flying)
Ogre dead
Bear did 16 (claw) & 9 (bite) to OrcClaw
OrcClaw
disengaged (at 1 HP)
Orog1 dead
Orog2 dead
OrcSniper dead
Orcs1-6 dead

GM: End of Encounter

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi, on the cliff top, looks down at the body of the orc below, and surveys the scene from the height. He sees his comrades below, weary.

But he knows. There's a tight window.

He calls down, "Friends, we still have the spirit of the Elk upon us. We can hurry and pass through the woods with speed and silence, if we are prepared to keep moving now."

OOC: Not sure what the time left on pass without trace might be. But he's maintained concentration so far.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandinlooks at Tommi on the cliff in confusion.

"Where would we be going? This is the camp we came to defeat, isn't it? If anything we should make sure there aren't any more in the cave and see if we can calm this poor bear down before it gets loose. I don't want to have to hurt it any more than it already is..."

With that said he turns to the bear, and attempts to calm it down. Speaking soothingly he casts a healing spell to show that he wants to help.

Using a Healing Word to hopefully help calm the bear down.

Wisdom (Animal Handling): 1d20+4 5
(Halfling Lucky reroll!)
Wisdom (Animal Handling) LUCKY: 1d20+4 5
o_O Seriously? Wow... Uh, he still has a 2 uses of the Animal Friendship casts from the Elk lord. If the bear doesn't climb over the wall and maul him he'll try that.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: Sorry -- I thought we spoke about the possibility of hitting another camp.
Never seen that for Halfling luck! Impressive.

Escella sits down with her back against the rock. "I need a moment alone," she says to the guard. "Go rejoin the others. I'll be fine. My injuries should be superficial."

(Need to know if the guard leaves or continues following his lord's orders.)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Dandin snapped at Tommi, frustrated that he could not get the bear to calm using only his own soothing words, and still stressed from the near-thing that the battle had been. The bear would have fiercely attacked the halfling, were it not still stuck behind the force-wall. But Tommi had mentioned the Elk-spirit's boons, and Dandin had been blessed by the Elk with the ability to befriend beasts such as this, if need be. The halfling willed it, and the bear calmed down.

Seeing this, the orc shaman nodded and hung his head, as if this confirmed his suspicion that the goddess Luthic favoured these people over himself. He was forsaken, and he knew it.

Escella asked for some privacy, and the elf guard nodded and left her to rejoin his comrades.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
It was a tremulous moment at first, but then the bear seemed to calm down at last. Dandin was relieved to see his magic work, though he could tell that his connection to the fae magics the elk had bestowed upon him were waning. The thought saddened him, but it wasn't like the experience hadn't had a positive effect on the halfling. Once he was sure that it was safe, he turned to the elf lord.

"Lord Darfin, I think that it should be safe now, can you lower the barrier please?"

Pulling out a piece of goodapple, Dandin prepared to offer it to the bear as soon as he was able. It would be much more manageable on a full stomach, even if magically so, Dandin surmised.

Escella takes out a cloth and uses prestidigitation to clean it before wiping her watering eyes. After a deep breath she casts it again to clean the cloth once more and put it away. Then she uses the cantrip a third time to clean her face before she stands up. She walks down the hill to rejoin the others. "Are we going to ask the survivor about what might lie within the cave?" She asks.

Only the one guard probably realizes how much she's cleaned herself up. When he looks at her, she just smiles and hopes he says nothing.

"Orc gods never had any favor for you. She didn't forsake you. She never cared. You gave her some minor sliver of power so she returned a drop of it. But she never favored you, wretch. How could she, you surrendered!"

"This one is forsaking his gods in the moment of his death." calls out Vairar in common raising his spear to impale the thing.

"Stop, Vairar!" Lord Darfin interrupts the thrust "This one is some kind of shaman. Could know more than average grunt. Help others, heal who you can then return when you're calm again."

"Come, gather around me, let Lady of the Winds soothe your wounds."
Prayer of healing: 2D8+3 = [4, 5]+3 = 12

Tommi, Dandin, Angis,

OOC:
Angis: 16/40
Dandin: 15/23
Escella: 25/24
Tommi: 26/28
Vairar: 21/31
Sir Darfin: 48/60

Feel free to give your place to one of the guards (esp. Tommi and Escella since the rest of us will spend some healing dice)

Do we continue? After short rest and orc interrogation, I think we have one more fight in us :)
I can cast Prayer once more to include the guards and Angis, Dandin and Vairar, but at the moment, I'd prefer to keep the slots in favor of spending HD. I doubt we will spend all of them before the end of the day.

Last edited:

Remove ads