• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General If A Noble holds 1 title per country in 2 neighbouring countries what can he do if those countries go to war?, after all no matter what he lose's

TheSword

Legend
I think that the noble would be in a difficult situation. There are two things I think should be considerer

Are the warring states powerful?
Is the noble powerful?

If the waring states are powerful and the noble isn’t, then there would be a lot of pressure for him to take an active role in the war. Possibly given tasks to prove allegiance. Either way they could be suspected of being a double agent or of playing both sides. They may need to renounce one side or the other.

If the states are weaker (or desperate or evenly matched with their foes) then the noble may be seen as the deciding factor. They may be in a very lucky position to chose a side. Or switch at the last moment. There still may be suspicion and the rulers may want to keep the noble close. The noble might even be able to remain neutral and act as a safe haven for diplomacy if they can convince the warring sides that they aren’t a threat to either.

It’s a good question. Well done for thinking of it.

JMISBEST

Explorer
I think that the noble would be in a difficult situation. There are two things I think should be considerer

Are the warring states powerful?
Is the noble powerful?

If the waring states are powerful and the noble isn’t, then there would be a lot of pressure for him to take an active role in the war. Possibly given tasks to prove allegiance. Either way they could be suspected of being a double agent or of playing both sides. They may need to renounce one side or the other.

If the states are weaker (or desperate or evenly matched with their foes) then the noble may be seen as the deciding factor. They may be in a very lucky position to chose a side. Or switch at the last moment. There still may be suspicion and the rulers may want to keep the noble close. The noble might even be able to remain neutral and act as a safe haven for diplomacy if they can convince the warring sides that they aren’t a threat to either.

It’s a good question. Well done for thinking of it.
That's given me a idea

Maybe he can stay neutral without betraying either country by agreeing that his 1 domain will provide as much free healing as possible to civilians, soldiers, none combatants and mercenaries from both sides of the conflict , he will do so without the need to be paid, but if someone offers to pay he will accept the payment, and will do with no charge, chance of any prejudice, bias or favouritism

Starfox

Hero
Maybe he can stay neutral [...] free healing...
This is entirely possible in most fantasy worlds, that have a concept of humanitarianism similar to us.

I do not think this would work in medieval Europe or most other historical periods - this kind of behavior is expected from women (and Christian clergy) but unmanly and would make him lose all respect, marking the noble as a weakling and likely victim of raids and invasion. Its hard for us today to understand how heroicism and adoration of manly strength (aka toxic masculinity) dominated throughout history.

By "heroicism" I mean a concept of honor that is pre-Christian and related to "honor" as in today's honor murders.

Naturally there are cultural exceptions, even if I can't come up with one now.

TheSword

Legend
That's given me a idea

Maybe he can stay neutral without betraying either country by agreeing that his 1 domain will provide as much free healing as possible to civilians, soldiers, none combatants and mercenaries from both sides of the conflict , he will do so without the need to be paid, but if someone offers to pay he will accept the payment, and will do with no charge, chance of any prejudice, bias or favouritism
Very good idea.

What happens when agents of one power kill a notable hero/general of the other side when being healed, killing several of the neutral nobles followers at the same time… a fireball in a field hospital for instance. The noble has to then decide to act publicly against one side, ignore the issue and be criticized by the other side and his own people, or act clandestinely to find the perpetrators… cue in the Adventuring Party.

TheSword

Legend
This is entirely possible in most fantasy worlds, that have a concept of humanitarianism similar to us.

I do not think this would work in medieval Europe or most other historical periods - this kind of behavior is expected from women (and Christian clergy) but unmanly and would make him lose all respect, marking the noble as a weakling and likely victim of raids and invasion. Its hard for us today to understand how heroicism and adoration of manly strength (aka toxic masculinity) dominated throughout history.

By "heroicism" I mean a concept of honor that is pre-Christian and related to "honor" as in today's honor murders.

There is a long history of neutral powers in Europe during medieval times. In some cases because they were also famous for providing mercenaries and therefore needed to stay out of the webs of obligation. There is nothing unmanly about staying neutral.

There is also a long history of charitable and medical services being provided and sponsored in medieval times… the knights Hospitaller being the most famous/infamous.

Historical accuracy doesn’t really have much place in a fantasy campaign but even so in this case there are real world precedents for those looking for authenticity.

JMISBEST

Explorer

I thought they were called murders for honour not honour murders, but I could be wrong

Starfox

Hero
I agree with all exceptions, but claim that they are just that; exceptions. Great and important exceptions, that become more and more common over time, until today this is the expected behavior. And as I said, most fantasy worlds are less barbaric than human history. But even today we still have throwbacks as soon as things turn real.

The past is a different country, they do things differently there.

Remove ads