• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If IKEA Made a Dedicated Gaming Table, Would You Buy It?

If IKEA Made a Gaming Table, Would You Buy It?

• Yes

Votes: 124 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 69 19.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 163 45.8%

Banshee16

First Post
Thurbane said:
When we played back in school, one of the guys had this awesome round table we played on. Nothing particularly unusual about it except that it was freakin huge. At one point we had a game with ten players, and there was still enough room for everyone.
p

You guys ever play a King Arthur inspired game with it? :)

Banshee

viscounteric

Explorer
The Mrs and I are going to IKEA next weekend to spend the $100 gift card we got for our wedding.

Now I have something to look for (besides mass-produced meatballs and peppakakor). :D

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
I voted no. We're capable of turning a section of carpeted floor into a gaming table. And if I wanted a dedicated gaming table I'd get my brother to build one since he's both a joiner and a roleplayer.

Melan

Explorer
I wouldn't buy a gaming table from IKEA or any other furniture company, as a large dinner table is perfectly suited for every potential function I could imagine in a RPG session. That some people see such a pressing need to trap themselves in pricy and, frankly, creepy gadgets is very strange to me.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think this is an interesting idea. Of all the furniture companies that are out there, Ikea would be the one to make something like this, because they have a large selection of office/presentation products available.

As for the Ikea haters, I wonder if they are aware that Ikea has several different lines of products, that range considerably in price and materials. I have a couple of their tables in my condo (because they're very space conscious), and they're all solid wood and have gotten many compliments from my snooty friends. I decided to pass on the lower end products because they weren't what I was looking for, but even their cheapest stuff is nicer than what you'll find in other chain stores that don't specialize in furniture.

--Steve

KB9JMQ

First Post
I voted no.
I already built the Gaming Table I like. It is 4x8 1" plywood topped with dry erase board.
On top of that I set a portable 1-foot tall 3x3 table to hold my 9-square Tac-Tile set.
I still have to put a few pull out drawers on the large table and some low-watt under counter lights on the bottom side of small table.

Everyone (6-7 people) has room for dice, drinks, food on the large table without knocking over the minis and everybody loves they can keep track of HPs, notes, etc. right on the table top.

The best part is when I remove the small table we can build huge Heroscape sets or just let the kids draw all day on the large table.

Remove ads