If we all rolled the normal way for stats, how come he has three 18's?

JustinM

First Post
A player of mine rolled 18, 18, 18, 17, 16, and something else that I can't remember. I was sitting right there when he did it, too. How annoying! :D

dpetroc

First Post
When stats come in "too good to be true" I start looking at the rest of the character sheet. Invariably, you find an extra feat, a dozen extra skill points, etc. etc.

When generating a Conan RPG character a player in my group (who had already been warned of creative char gen) was 'required' to roll in front of me. His stats were decent if not stellar -- he then proceeded to add considerably to his starting goods, skill points and suddenly knew six languages with a 9 intelligence (hmmm... A 1st level Cimmerian Barbarian who happens to know shemitish and stygian...).

When the player is willing, nay insistent, on fibbing on his stats, its only the tip of the cheating iceberg.

rossik

Explorer
once e played with a group that used computer rolls. lots of 16,17 and 18.

no good to cheat, IMO.

i ask to my new od&d players to roll in front of me, and the last one rolled something like 6,10,9,5,8 and 6. we voted to "delete" his character, so he mande a new one (something like 12, 15, 10, 9 ,11 and 14- much better for a 1lvl M-U) <-- stats not in order, ok?

sjmiller

Explorer
You know, I have seen some amazing dice rolls for stats over the years. Back in 1st Ed days, I myself rolled 3d6 for stats and rolled three 18's. I checked the dice later to make sure they were rolling true, and they were. I've seen times when people roll incredibly well, and times when the rolls are pathetic. I've seen a character rolled with the 4d6 discard lowest method that had 3, 5, 6, and some other numbers I can't remember. None of the rolls were above a 10. In Traveller, where you roll 2d6 for stats, I rolled 2, 2, 3, 6, 6, and 12. Since you roll the stats in order (Str, Dex, End, Int, Edu, Soc) it was appropriate that someone who was physically weak, clumsy, and sickly was also of average intelligence and education while being a noble of high ranking. I remember saving him to use as an NPC.

In my current 3.0 D&D group, I had several people roll two 18's for stats in front of me. One person did not roll anything less than a 14. It was amazing to see.

SavageRobby

First Post
As a DM, if we roll for stats (as in C&C or D&D), then we do it as a group (best case) or at the minimum I observe the rolling (worst case).

Now, its not that I don't trust anyone in the group (at least, not that I would admit to :) ), its simply that I don't want the appearance of impropriety. As witnessed here, it can cause resentment. Lucky rolls are like holes in one - you always want a witness, or no one believes you.

Arnwyn

First Post
Urbannen said:
Why this self-deception? It seems entirely common in the D&D community. If people want super-high scores, why don't they just use a different means of stat generation? Now, if I hear people rolled for stats, I assume something shady is going on.
I have absolutely no doubt you'd feel that way if that's what you have experienced. (If this is "entirely common" in the D&D community, I'm certainly glad I'm not part of said community as I've never seen anything like that.)

Our group has always had a standing policy that stat rolls are made in front of the DM (and usually the other players, because we have loads of fun watching). It's what we do, and thus we've never had a problem in 15+ years.

Phlebas

First Post
I always insist on viewing stat rolls and HP rolls as dm, otherwise the temptation to cheat is almost overwhelming

my guilty secret is that I created a chr rolling programme when i was 12 that generated all my decent PC's (including a filter so i could specify AD&D Rangers, paladins and druids......)

having said that, i've witnessed a friend roll his last three characters which all had three stats 16+, and nothing below 12. His first PC was lousy each time (total bonus was -'ve) so he took the re-roll. next time i'm making him keep the 1st character ;-)

lukelightning

First Post
I'm all for point-buy these days. If you opt for rolling stats, it should be done as a group, and not even just one-on-one with the DM. Everyone should see everyone else's rolls, just to avoid any suspicions of cheating or favoritism. And you should also have clear rules on re-rolling a character, because really, there is nothing forcing a player to play the character he or she rolls up. I can just say "I kill/retire my PC" and roll up another.

Hypersmurf said:
Under the Palladium rules, stats are 3d6, but if you roll a 16 or higher, you get an extra d6... giving you an initial range of 3-24.

Ah, good old Palladium. In the fantasy game if you rolled 10-12 on a 2d6 stat (or something like that) you could also add another d6. Which could then get you a 16 or higher and give you another die (ok, I'm not sure if that is RAW but that's the way the DM ruled). I ended up with a character with ridiculously good stats, even in the stats that were supposed to be really low for my chosen race.

Rauol_Duke

First Post
Point-Buy

For a similar situation, this is why I'm going to switch to point-buy after playing with rolled stats for 26 years. I have 2 players who continually have great stats, character after character after character, reagardless of if I watch them roll stats or not. Their characters tend to be the "powerhouse" character in the group, or the character who never seems to go down. I just want to even things out a bit with the other players and have everybody start off on the same foot. Of course, the two players in question are very resistant to the change... :p

Remove ads