D&D 5E If WotC asked us which setting we wanted next what would you choose?

What setting option would you choose?

• Al-Qadim

Votes: 29 13.9%
  • Birthright

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • Ghostwalk

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • Hollow World

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Kara-Tur

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Mahasarpa

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Masque of the Red Death

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Maztica

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Mystara [Known World]

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 41 19.7%
  • Planescape

Votes: 37 17.8%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 36 17.3%
  • Red Steel [Savage Coast]

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 36 17.3%
  • Tale of the Comet

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Thunder Rift

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Urban Arcana

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • Another RPG setting not mentioned

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • A licensed mass media setting

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • A new setting designed for 4e

Votes: 86 41.3%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 1 0.5%

Dausuul

Legend
Since 3E came out, there hasn't been a single new setting for D&D that has appealed to me. I'd much rather have a well done retread of something I know I'm already interested in.

I also have yet to see a new, post-3E setting that I liked... but a lot of that is because I've seen precious few post-3E settings, period. WotC has released exactly one new setting throughout its entire stewardship of D&D! And they had to go outside the company to get that one. Otherwise, there's been a smattering of third-party stuff... but most of the 3PPs were too busy building their own d20 variants to do a lot of world-building, and there may have been some "setting fatigue" in the wake of the 2E glut.

But the 2E glut was years ago. It's time to break some new ground.

Yeah. Just look how well that turned out. /snark

Oh, sorry. Where are my manners? I sometimes forget that a lot of people actually like Eberron. I guess magepunk just isn't my thing.

I don't like Eberron either, but by all accounts it was quite a well-done setting. It's just not my cup of tea. A new fan-search setting might not be my cup of tea either... but then again, it might. Worth a try, at least!

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I don't like Eberron either, but by all accounts it was quite a well-done setting. It's just not my cup of tea. A new fan-search setting might not be my cup of tea either... but then again, it might. Worth a try, at least!
Yeah, that's fair.

There are things from it that I like, but yeah, don't like the whole package.

Shroomy

Adventurer
@Shroomy: gnoll pimps? really.

And who else voted for Urban Arcana? Come on, out with you.

610_088190_90.jpg

I was going more for urban fantasy than Urban Arcana in particular, but they're ain't anything wrong with gnoll pimps!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I guess I should note which settings I voted for...

Greyhawk
Kara-Tur
Mystara [Known World]
Planescape
Spelljammer

Of these, my first choice would be Greyhawk but I know that's a long shot. My second choice would have to be Mystara, which I think would be perfect for 4e. Planescape and Spelljammer are in a tie for third. And while Kara-Tur would be my fourth choice, it would be tough to not pick it if given the option.

I also voted for a new setting designed for 4e although I'd be willing to accept the Nentir Vale as a suitable option. It's new and has some great ideas built into it.

Honorable Mentions: Al-Qadim and Maztica; I'd like to see versions of thes two settings that aren't as closely tied to the Realms.

Dark Horse: Urban Arcana; I never bought the d20 Modern book, but I think it would make a very good 4e setting. Or perhaps it should be its own RPG like Gamma World.

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
Known World/Birthright/Hollow World.

They haven't been around since the 2E days and I would LOVE it if they released them as regional source books ala the gazetteer series from the 80s.

VGmaster9

Explorer
I voted for a new setting, but I'd also like to see Ravenloft, Planescape, Spelljammer, and Oriental Adventures made too. I just don't think Greyhawk and Dragonlance should be done because we already have Forgotten Realms, which should be the prime kitchen sink setting. As for Al Qadim, I think it would be expanded from taking place in the Zakara area of FR and be more than just that, kinda like Oriental Adventures.

As for Nentir Val, is it really considered the modern version of Mystara? If so, what kinds of expansions could it have?

Last edited:

SSquirrel

Explorer
The art for the ships of Spelljammer was one of the best parts about it. Box sets w/big art cards...always a plus. Much as I love a lot of the old settings, my only vote was for something new. I loved that WotC did a campaign search (hell my wife and I weren't dating yet, but we worked on a campaign world idea together for it) and we ended up getting something very different from prior D&D settings. I don't think I've ever actually played a single game there, but the world is very interesting at least.

Oh and the gnoll pimp picture from Urban Arcana is great, always did love that one.

GreyLord

Legend
I think Dark Sun would have gotten a lot of votes prior to it coming out as well. I believe that to make Money WotC should stick to bigger campaign settings such as Dragonlance, perhaps Grey Hawk, and others which have a wide appeal. Items such as Al Qadim may have a great appeal to hardcore online forum goers, but I think it would not be as big a success as something which had broader appeal and bigger name recognition.

There's a reason the new Game coming out is Neverwinter, and the campaign setting for this year is again in the Forgotten Realms, also set in conjunction with the PC release for Neverwinter. Name recognition and broader appeal (so even those who may not be RPG'ers will buy it hopefully) are key.

I think the results are skewed in the poll due to the audience that is on these forums. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Remove ads