D&D 5E If WotC asked us which setting we wanted next what would you choose?

What setting option would you choose?

• Al-Qadim

Votes: 29 13.9%
  • Birthright

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • Ghostwalk

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • Hollow World

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Kara-Tur

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Mahasarpa

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Masque of the Red Death

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Maztica

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Mystara [Known World]

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 41 19.7%
  • Planescape

Votes: 37 17.8%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 36 17.3%
  • Red Steel [Savage Coast]

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 36 17.3%
  • Tale of the Comet

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Thunder Rift

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Urban Arcana

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • Another RPG setting not mentioned

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • A licensed mass media setting

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • A new setting designed for 4e

Votes: 86 41.3%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 1 0.5%

Dice4Hire

First Post
I voted for Nentir Vale as it seems like the 4E setting to me, even though I know it started in late 3.5. I like the POL idea an with Hammerfast, Van Rokoth (sp?) and a bunch of adventures, I feel it is detailed jsut about how I like it. I would like some overarching mystery/fantastical element to it, as it is a bit bland that way, but for a mundane setting it is nice.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I've voted for a new setting, too, as I generally don't like the rehashing of previously published stuff. I guess it's no fun for the designers, too.

An alternative approach would be something like the old Jakandor stuff: geographically limited, fit to be inserted into different settings, and coming with a strong, focused theme. This wouldn't work like a complete setting, but as background for maybe one campaign.

Jhaelen

First Post
I sorta feel like it would be absurd to launch a completely new setting. What might they want to achieve they feel they can't do with existing material? "New" isn't, it doesn't seem to me, any kind of virtue.
It is, unless you believe that there isn't really anything new under the sun.

A new setting, to me, implies, that it offers something that is so 'new' that it _cannot_ be done using the existing material. Otherwise, you're correct, there wouldn't be any point.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I voted for Nentir Vale as it seems like the 4E setting to me, even though I know it started in late 3.5. I like the POL idea an with Hammerfast, Van Rokoth (sp?) and a bunch of adventures, I feel it is detailed jsut about how I like it. I would like some overarching mystery/fantastical element to it, as it is a bit bland that way, but for a mundane setting it is nice.

I'm not sure if I want an entire PoL campaign world, but whayt I would love to see is more adventure locales like Hammerfast and Vor Rukoth. I used the Hammerfast book extensively in my current campaign; it was very useful stuff. However, I can see how those books wouldn't be all that profitable for WotC, so I'm pretty delighted to see one appearing in this month's Dungeon, even if won't be 32 pages of goodness.

delericho

Legend
Of the existing settings, my preferences would be Spelljammer first, followed by Ravenloft (if 4e can even do horror right). However, I would prefer a brand new setting to both of these.

I'm not really a fan of the idea of a licensed setting - it seems likely that it would be pushed really hard for a short time (to the exclusion of everything else), and then disappear completely.

Of the existing settings, the only one I particularly hope they don't do is the Nentir Vale/Points-of-Light-world. I think the sheer flexibility of the PoL concept, coupled with the fact that the setting is only outlined in really broad strokes is a distinct advantage - it allows DMs to take it and put their own stamp on it. If WotC detail the setting, suddenly DMs (and particularly newbie DMs) will become less likely to play with it, for fear of "doing it wrong".

Mercurius

Legend
I voted for a new setting or Nentir Vale - I'm just tired of re-hashes of old settings and think it is time for something fresh. Looking at my shelf, I don't need anymore Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Planescape, etc material...and I don't imagine anyone else does, either.

That said, I would love a Spelljammer board game - an idea I had some time ago was Pirates of the Astral Sea, complete with space battles, floating islands of rock, even the Spelljammer itself...

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I voted for Kara-Tur and Mystara.

Kara-Tur because it hasn't been touched since 2e. (Except for the one dragon magazine, IIRC.) 4e needs an oriental setting and it needs oriental flavored classes. That's it's been over 2 and 1/2 years and they haven't published a 4e OA seems a little weird to me. Especially since they've made three books on the planes already.

Also, I think it'd bring in new old blood like Dark Sun did. Dark Sun has been their biggest success recently, something that I hope they've noticed.

Mystara because I think that, while it's a standard fantasy, it's the second oldest after Blackmoore (and it even has Blackmoore in it!). It has a lot of flavor, and I think publishing two hardcovers like Eberron and Forgotten Realms had would be a real boon to Mystara fans.

I voted for Nentir Vale as it seems like the 4E setting to me, even though I know it started in late 3.5.
I didn't know this. What 3.5 book was it in?

scourger

Explorer
Ravenloft, specifically the Ravenloft announced at GenCon 2010 :D and cancelled at DDXP 2011. :( I really like the new Gamma World and want to see a simplified D&D 4e game designed the same way. It wouldn't have to be the Ravenloft setting for me, but who wouldn't want to play that.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM

I didn't know this. What 3.5 book was it in?
Nentir Vale is basically the same (similar to the) "vale" that existed in Red Hand of Doom -- Elsir Vale. I'm assuming that is what D4H is referring to.

Remove ads