D&D 5E If you aren't buying magic items, where will you spend your gold?

Chocolategravy

First Post
It also depends how prevalent magic items are in the campaign.

Based on published adventures and encounters, which is what most people experience, magic items are quite common.

Depends on the campaign. If the ruler has his or her hands full just keeping the kingdom safe from giants and monsters, there might not be time or resources available to do this- for example, is it worth losing 20 men for the chance to retrieve a +1 sword?

If that +1 sword will sell for enough to get 500 mercenaries? Yes.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Based on published adventures and encounters, which is what most people experience, magic items are quite common.

If that +1 sword will sell for enough to get 500 mercenaries? Yes.

What game are you playing? We're level 4 and haven't seen a magic item of any kind other than healing potions in 5E. My other friends made it to level 8 finding one ring of protection. Given the rarity of high level characters and the fact we've found one magic item in 8 levels in a 5E module, how is that enough to develop a market? No one wants to give up that ring of protection.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I plan to do different things with different characters. Depends on personality. One might hoard all the coin in various places or purchase property. Build networks of informants. Bribe people. Establish orphanages. It completely depends on the character.

Hereticus

First Post
What game are you playing? We're level 4 and haven't seen a magic item of any kind other than healing potions in 5E. My other friends made it to level 8 finding one ring of protection. Given the rarity of high level characters and the fact we've found one magic item in 8 levels in a 5E module, how is that enough to develop a market? No one wants to give up that ring of protection.

I completely agree. We're fourth level too, and the only magic we've seen are a couple potions and scrolls thrown in by the DM to help us out.

Like us players, all the NPCs are waiting for the DMG to come out so magic items can be introduced to the multiverse!

was

Adventurer
Inns/Taverns are good....or maybe a keep for the group. Keeps are good because you can haul stuff back from dungeons to decorate it. Rent out the lands around the keep for farming to bring in some income to support a seneschal and light staff sho can maintain the keep while you're gone.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Inspiration!

Seriously, take traits/bonds/flaws/etc. that relate to spending cash on stuff, and then whenever you want Inspiration, go shopping/partying/donating/whatever.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The published adventures, and you?
Then you were not really looking. The 5e modules (Mines, Hoard & Rise) contain a lot magic items (especially LMoP is choke-full of magic items)

What does chock full mean to you? There is nowhere near what was in previous editions. We're going through Hoard right now, one ring by fifth level. We've been searching every group of enemies we find. You supposedly found a ton? What level are you? So I imagine every character in the group must have what...three magic items each by what level? Explain what chock full means in terms of per character by what level and how that constitutes sufficient magic for an economy.

Remove ads