D&D General If you could put D&D into any other non middle ages genre, what would it be?

Oofta

Legend
I do, and it's the primary reason why I can't play 5E unless something has been done to address the healing rules.

When a goblin stabs you for 5 damage out of your 80hp, that's perfectly fine with me, because you're a mighty hero and you're wearing armor. Most armor is pretty good about dulling the impact of a sword. I can buy that it takes 16 hits before you've been battered into submission.

The issue is when you wake up in the morning, and the wounds which would have killed a lesser mortal have vanished entirely. That is making a mockery of the weapon.

Which is one of the reasons I use the alternate rest rules. Well, that and magic band-aids and salves because otherwise a lot of wounds would be permanent, which just doesn't fit with the number of encounters that adventurers normally face. A lot of wounds historically were fatal days or weeks after combat was over, which I just handle as my campaign world having the equivalent of magical penicillin.

Urriak

Explorer
Getting firearms to work mechanically isn't very hard. You could honestly treat them a lot like how crossbows are currently used in 5e. A goblin getting hit by a bullet and surviving can be treated much like how you would treat him getting hit by a crossbow bolt.

You have to remember that firearms were not at all advanced for a very long time, even in a Wild West setting Native Americans were incredibly dangerous until more advanced revolvers made it easier for American soldiers to fire weapons on horseback.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
^a more accurate edit ;)

FWIW, I largely agree with you on everything else.
OK, fine, weapons. ;) Simple firearms rules do work just fine in D&D though, as mentioned above, and in many, many other threads. Realistic and detailed firearms rules mostly don't, neither for attack nor damage, but there are other system that do that well (or at least better), and if I wanted or needed hyper-realistic firearms rules I would look at one of those systems. I mostly don't want or need that rules set, but many people do, I'm sure. What I find a little boggling is how much time some people will spend complaining that a system that obviously wasn't designed to do a particular thing, doesn't do that particular thing particularly well.

Captain Obvious says Look elsewhere for your hyper-realistic firearms rules citizen, you won't find them here! Tra laa laaaa! Now it is time to fly again....

Oofta

Legend
OK, fine, weapons. ;) Simple firearms rules do work just fine in D&D though, as mentioned above, and in many, many other threads. Realistic and detailed firearms rules mostly don't, neither for attack nor damage, but there are other system that do that well (or at least better), and if I wanted or needed hyper-realistic firearms rules I would look at one of those systems. I mostly don't want or need that rules set, but many people do, I'm sure. What I find a little boggling is how much time some people will spend complaining that a system that obviously wasn't designed to do a particular thing, doesn't do that particular thing particularly well.

Captain Obvious says Look elsewhere for your hyper-realistic firearms rules citizen, you won't find them here! Tra laa laaaa! Now it is time to fly again....

I agree but in all fairness, Captain Obvious could also point out that if you're looking for hyper-realistic simulation rules for just about anything you won't find them in D&D. Which doesn't make it a bad system because quite frequently reality sucks. :D

MarkB

Legend
D&D and firearms work fine until you circle back around to realistic damage. Most heroes in most action movies have a very D&D relationship with firearms. The bad guys don't, but that fits pretty well into D&D too. What D&D doesn't really do, not when you follow CR system anyway, and previous versions of the same, is deal with the concept of minions or henchmen, at least from a one-punch one-kill cinematic standpoint anyway. D&D can do that, but it takes an alternative approach to encounter design.

D&D 5e handles it just fine, even with pretty much standard encounter design. The whole point of Bounded Accuracy is that it keeps opponents of varied levels relevant in a fight - you can easily throw in a bunch of low-level minions alongside the tough bruisers, and it'll work fine in terms of both encounter design and XP budget.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Oh it handles it fine, but that's just not the way a lot of people run their games. The range of baddies tends to picked from a selection banded around the characters level. Not everyone throws in disposable one-hit minions specifically to have them act like one-hit minions. And when I say one hit, I mean 7th Sea one-hit, not, "I'll probably kill it with one hit". Anyway, we agree that D&D can do this, which was my point, we may disagree about how often it gets done, but that's not terribly important to the larger conversation.

MarkB

Legend
Oh it handles it fine, but that's just not the way a lot of people run their games. The range of baddies tends to picked from a selection banded around the characters level. Not everyone throws in disposable one-hit minions specifically to have them act like one-hit minions. And when I say one hit, I mean 7th Sea one-hit, not, "I'll probably kill it with one hit". Anyway, we agree that D&D can do this, which was my point, we may disagree about how often it gets done, but that's not terribly important to the larger conversation.

It's important in the sense that, if you want to adapt 5e to a genre where minions are expected, it has the tools for the job - and those tools aren't even crude or rudimentary.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases