If you were able to design your own version of D&D, how would you do it?

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I'm not sure if you're asking about process (How would I go about it if I were a WOTC employee looking for sales?) or about preferences (How would D&D look if it were perfect for me?)

If process, then I think that WOTC's process for 5e was very good.

If preference...well there's a lot, and it honestly wouldn't look very much like D&D mechanically when I'm done...and probably would spark an edition war and wouldn't sell nearly as well. B-)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Process: 5e, basically. Except that I would go further, and there would not be a single aspect of the core 3 not fully playtested. The full PHB, MM, and DMG would go live as playtest material before publication. Also, I’d get some new blood on the team.

Design: all these would be subject to feedback, obviously

similar to 5e, with some more hidden optional complexity (ie easy to ignore). The actual design of a lot of abilities would be, behind the curtain, like 4e Powers, but written out more like 5e fighter maneuvers or Star Wars saga force powers and starship maneuvers. “Make Attack. You also disarm the target if they’re holding a weapon. Blah blah.”

Rangers and Paladins would have choice between spells and maneuvers, and maneuvers would have simple enough options that you could just use the same few ones and not think too much about it if that is what you want.

Casting focuses would have small secondary benefits when used, making them meaningful choices. Different casters would have different focus proficiencies. Less complex than weapon chart, since casters are generally more complex.

Warlock would have a build in the phb that is stone simple, like a Hexblade with less moving parts. “You’re an at will blast spammer, and nothing good will come of you.”

More caster classes would have unique spells. Full casters would have greater difference in what their cantrips do, and half casters would have more unique and evocative spells, as well as spells that tie groups of classes/subclasses together, like all pet builds having spells that boost pets when cast.

Fewer spells would specify a creature as the target. Let people shoot doors.

Darkvision would treat Dim Light as Bright Light with no radius, but use a limited radius for Darkness as Dim Light.

Rules and advice for running a game with different basic assumptions, like worlds with more common magic items or where magic crafting tech is improving rather than all the best stuff being ancient, or worlds where no sentient race is considered born evil, etc would be in the DMG. Tool use in downtime would involve making checks more, with those checks determining degree or speed of success.

There would be feats for each class and major “build” (like the gish) that help give a decent flavor of that option without multiclassing, or round out a MC character. Still 5e style feats, though.

4e style monster and encounter building, with 5e bounded accuracy.

Cantrips and leveled spells that combine weapon attacks with magical effects in the PHB, available for all caster classes that get cantrips.

More fighting styles, available to more classes.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Process: 5e, basically. Except that I would go further, and there would not be a single aspect of the core 3 not fully playtested. The full PHB, MM, and DMG would go live as playtest material before publication. Also, I’d get some new blood on the team.

Design: all these would be subject to feedback, obviously

similar to 5e, with some more hidden optional complexity (ie easy to ignore). The actual design of a lot of abilities would be, behind the curtain, like 4e Powers, but written out more like 5e fighter maneuvers or Star Wars saga force powers and starship maneuvers. “Make Attack. You also disarm the target if they’re holding a weapon. Blah blah.”

Rangers and Paladins would have choice between spells and maneuvers, and maneuvers would have simple enough options that you could just use the same few ones and not think too much about it if that is what you want.

Casting focuses would have small secondary benefits when used, making them meaningful choices. Different casters would have different focus proficiencies. Less complex than weapon chart, since casters are generally more complex.

Warlock would have a build in the phb that is stone simple, like a Hexblade with less moving parts. “You’re an at will blast spammer, and nothing good will come of you.”

More caster classes would have unique spells. Full casters would have greater difference in what their cantrips do, and half casters would have more unique and evocative spells, as well as spells that tie groups of classes/subclasses together, like all pet builds having spells that boost pets when cast.

Fewer spells would specify a creature as the target. Let people shoot doors.

Darkvision would treat Dim Light as Bright Light with no radius, but use a limited radius for Darkness as Dim Light.

Rules and advice for running a game with different basic assumptions, like worlds with more common magic items or where magic crafting tech is improving rather than all the best stuff being ancient, or worlds where no sentient race is considered born evil, etc would be in the DMG. Tool use in downtime would involve making checks more, with those checks determining degree or speed of success.

There would be feats for each class and major “build” (like the gish) that help give a decent flavor of that option without multiclassing, or round out a MC character. Still 5e style feats, though.

4e style monster and encounter building, with 5e bounded accuracy.

Cantrips and leveled spells that combine weapon attacks with magical effects in the PHB, available for all caster classes that get cantrips.

More fighting styles, available to more classes.

I’d play this.

If I had my druthers though, there’d be maybe 8-16 spells in total. Or perhaps manipulation of various energies and then spell forms. So 8-16 spell elements you could combine. Each spell form has a specific potency, shape, and duration. Each energy has a certain elemental affinity with specific damage dice and rider effects. Like fire would be d6s that continue to burn. Say you do 3d6 fire damage with a spell, then next round it does 2d6, then 1d6, then the burning effect ends. Something like that. While cold might inhibit movements or something. Haven’t put the whole idea together yet.

D

DQDesign

process: transparent communication with the customer. 'we are doing this, this is planned for ddmmyyyy, we will be able to respect the deadline, in case we will not able to, description of countermeasures and tranparent rescheduling'

crunch: from rags to riches, no superheroes 1st level characters, very similar (in concept) to the old good Epic6, strong focus on story accomplishments (strongholds, realms, etc.) vs. new powers, any spell higher than 3rd level an epic task to master (involving in-fiction elements to achieve), fail-forward mechanic as core (instead of the half-disguised, half-digested version present in 5e dmg), means to use high-CR monsters also in low-level adventures (like the reduced threat ones of ToYP or the weakness mechanic from Monster of the Week)

I would add new abilities: Astuteness, Courage, Technique (slow or prelearnt actions: crafting, dance, playing music, art..) and Grace(karma/luck/fate).

Allegiance added to aligment, and powers with aligment key could hurt enemies with same aligment but different allegiance (race, country, religion, clan, guild..).

The XP reward would be different if the PCs have got special help, firearms, for example. Enemies with special advantages, for example firearms, also would be extra XPs reward, like a monster template to be added.

New classes: Favored soul would be a hybrid mixing sorcerer with divine spells but also with incarnum soumeld to get monster traits, and nahualt would be like a mixture of totem warrior druid with incarnum soumelds. Ninja, samurai and sohei would be martial adepts, with maneuvers from "3.5 Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords". The warlock could use vestige magic and could craft single-use magic item. The elementalist class would cast "mysteries" powers like the shadowcaster, but working like a magic equivalent to martial maneuvers. The warlord would be a fighter with maneuvers of the White Raven School. Assasin would be a stealth class with some spells and martial maneuvers. Warmage would be like a sorcerer with light armour and "arcane maneuvers" a middle step between at-will and once-encounter powers. The alchemist would be like an artificier of Eberron but with "colors of mana" and incarnum soulmelds in the item by allies.

All prehistoric animals from real world would be in the SRD.

Level of health would be added to hit-points, for a faster game than undead powers what drain Con. Health would be slower to be healed. A game mechanic like the protoss shield from Starcraft or the resistance from Fortnite.

delericho

Legend
If it's a new version of D&D, then I'd go with something very like 5e. There are a lot of fairly trivial things about the game that annoy me disproportionately, so I'd fix those, but the core would remain the same.

If designing a new game like D&D, I would take advantage of the opportunity to ditch quite a few sacred cows - the six ability scores would become three (Body, Mind, Soul), the Fighter and Rogue classes would be rolled up into a single Hero class, alignments would be removed entirely, and I'd probably even drop the use of almost all the dice (leaving only d20, d6, and d%).

Zardnaar

Legend
Probably though hard about this 3 times. 2008/9, lead up to 5E, and now. It would also depend on if I was in charge of 6E or making a D&D I like. I have actually started on my own D&D.

1. Use 5E as much as I can; Basically unless its stated otherwise the rules are 5E.
2. Tweaked proficiency bonus to +1 at lvl 1, scales up to +10 at 19. Similar to 4E/SWSE
3. Fort/Ref/Will are back, your proficiency bonus is added to all saves. Each class gets a class bonus to the 3 saves. 3 saves are easier than 6.
4. Rewritten classes. My fighter isn't to drastically different form the 5E fighter.
5. No sub classes, mostly because of less works and....
6. Microfeats are back, build your own subclass/class. Also broke up some feats into combat and non combat feats and classes get one or the other at various levels.
7. Different class based xp rates are back.
8. xp for gold is back.
9. Non magical healing rate 'ala 3.5
10. AD&D type multiclassing (tweaked).
11. Auto scaling damage spells are back, things like hold person a'la 5E.
12. Classes and races= 3.5 PHB.
13. Tweaked ye olde magic resistance is back, flat d20 roll vs %
14. Buffed critters, energy drain is back (exhaustion instead of level loss), spell casting dragons,

Fixing magic is kinda a big one. Critters are more resistant to it (like 2E), saves scale, DCs are lower, and only direct damage spells auto scale. Something like a Illithid that was 90% MR in 2E is now 19 which is what you have to roll on a d20 to beat it (and you don't add your level).

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Everyone starts with Base Character HP 1d4, 1 Save, Background Skills and 10 Feats

Use Feats =
Increase HP step (d6. d8. d10)
Add save
Armour and Weapon Proficiency
bonus Skill proficiency
Class features

so Fighter (Duelist)
HP 1d10 (3 Feats)
Saves Strength, Dexterity (1 Feat)
Armour: Light Armour (1 Feat)
Fighting Style: Dueling - Martial Weapons (1 Feat)
Skills: Acrobatics, Intimidation (1 Feat)
Class: Second Wind, Sneak attack (2 Feats)
(1 Bonus Feat)

so Wizard
HP 1d6 (1 Feats)
Saves Intelligence, Wisdom (1 Feat)
Armour:none
Fighting Style: none
Skills: Arcana, Insight (1 Feat)
Class: Spellcaster (Cantrips), Spellbook 1 (2 Feats)
2 Spell slot (2 feat)
(3 Bonus Feats)

* Feats are used to increase Spellbook Level and to add Spell slots

Henry

Autoexreginated
If you were able to design your own version of D&D, how would you do it?

If you had asked me this question, I would have designed something that looks a lot like 3.5, as it seemed the perfect D&D at the time to me.

If you ask me now, I'll probably redesign 5e, with only minor tweaks.

They're always giving me what I want before I knew I wanted it, it seems. I even liked D&D4 for a short while before moving to Pathfinder, but always had a soft spot for Basic D&D. Then along comes D&D5 and fills my Basic D&D need. Pretty much, I'm sheeple, where D&D is concerned.

Remove ads