If You're "Permanently" Boycotting WotC, They're Not Going To Listen To You

Jaeger

That someone better
I'm not telling you to buy from WotC if you weren't already. I'm just saying that the people that used to and have said that they won't in the future no matter what because of the leaked OGL are hurting the community's ability to negotiate with WotC.

These people owe "the community" nothing.

Don't boycott WotC D&D unless you're willing to stop the boycott if they make the right decision.

Who cares what decisions they make?

You don't need Wotzi to play D&D.

The more people that realize that, the better it is for the RPG hobby the long run.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I've never permanently boycotted anything from anybody for any reason, ever and wouldn't do it. I've never made a decision that involved a major change in my life due to politics, belief systems, anger, nor high emotion. I use logic and critical thinking to every activity I do, and all my decisions are based on that process only. I'm not always happy with my final decision on anything, but once a decision is made, I stick to it.

I've been working on a Spelljammer 3PP supplement, and have about 5 months work into it, nearing completion. The OGL fiasco started and ended in this last development period, which made me a bit apprehensive. Having studied what license I'll be publishing under for this, which is the Community Content Agreement at the DM's Guild, since Spelljammer is WotC IP - there's no other license I can publish under for this. Since this is my only D&D 3PP, I'm uncertain whether I will continue publishing under the CCA. I guess it depends on how financially successful this product will be. I've previously only published under OGL 1.0a, and may continue, or I may choose to publish under the ORC license.

As a DM/Player, the OGL fiasco doesn't really affect me. As a publisher it does, somewhat, but I wil l continue to publish under appropriate licenses until such time I cannot... I'll play it be ear.

Dustin_00

Explorer
I've never permanently boycotted anything from anybody for any reason, ever and wouldn't do it. I've never made a decision that involved a major change in my life due to politics, belief systems, anger, nor high emotion. I use logic and critical thinking to every activity I do, and all my decisions are based on that process only. I'm not always happy with my final decision on anything, but once a decision is made, I stick to it.

I've been working on a Spelljammer 3PP supplement, and have about 5 months work into it, nearing completion. The OGL fiasco started and ended in this last development period, which made me a bit apprehensive. Having studied what license I'll be publishing under for this, which is the Community Content Agreement at the DM's Guild, since Spelljammer is WotC IP - there's no other license I can publish under for this. Since this is my only D&D 3PP, I'm uncertain whether I will continue publishing under the CCA. I guess it depends on how financially successful this product will be. I've previously only published under OGL 1.0a, and may continue, or I may choose to publish under the ORC license.

As a DM/Player, the OGL fiasco doesn't really affect me. As a publisher it does, somewhat, but I wil l continue to publish under appropriate licenses until such time I cannot... I'll play it be ear.
It's not about boycotting WotC, it's about permanently supporting 1,500 other publishers.

Long live... #ORCJAMMER!

This post was inspired by this thread on D&D Beyond, but instead of just linking that and leaving, I'll add a bit.

In recent OGL threads, I have seen probably dozens of posters, many of them regulars on this site, claiming that they will never buy anything from WotC ever again, even if they "fix" the 1.1 OGL. And while I can sympathize and see how it may be tempting to say "screw them, they're not getting a single penny out of me now", I staunchly believe that this mindset is not just unhelpful, but actively harmful to the goal that the community should be united on: holding WotC accountable and prevent them from undoing the great effects the original OGL has had on the community over the past 2 decades.

Because this is a negotiation. Clearly, the public backlash had a large enough effect for them to vow to remove almost all of the negative parts of the leaked 1.1 OGL. They saw that the public backlash could have lost them a lot of money, and are walking back from some of the more objectionable parts of the 1.1 OGL. However, if you have vowed to never buy anything from WotC ever again because of the leaked 1.1 OGL, you have given up your bargaining chip. WotC is a for-profit company and has no incentive to make the changes you want if your money isn't on the table. You're just using your money as a weapon for spite. And, again, I understand that. I understand being angry and disappointed about the leaked 1.1 OGL. Trust me, I am too. I've written and sold content under the 1.1 OGL. The leaked version of the 1.1 OGL would have been very, very bad for my future as a 5e freelancer and I'm pissed that WotC would dare to consider changing it in a way that could hurt me. I'm still not satisfied with what they've said the new version of the 1.1 OGL will contain.

And that's the point. If you're not satisfied with the current plan of what the 1.1 OGL will contain or the fact that it will supersede the older versions of the OGL, don't give up your only bargaining chip. Keep your money "hostage". Make demands. Only agree to buy their stuff if a satisfactory arrangement is made. Declaring war against WotC and trying to hurt them because you're angry does not help. It's like a union going on strike while also saying that they're all going to quit no matter what changes their employers make. You cannot demand change without the power to make a difference.

Note: I'm not telling you to buy from WotC if you weren't already. I'm just saying that the people that used to and have said that they won't in the future no matter what because of the leaked OGL are hurting the community's ability to negotiate with WotC. Don't boycott WotC D&D unless you're willing to stop the boycott if they make the right decision.

I'm just done giving them money after the move they pulled with the OGL. The more I've thought about it, the more I feel WOTC dominating the hobby has been unhealthy for it as a whole. If others want to buy their stuff, that is entirely up to them. I am not into telling others what to do. But I'd rather spend my money on different companies now. If I feel like playing D&D I will use my old D&D books or play a game like DCC

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'll be honest. I"m not their target demographic. I'm a 50+ year old white guy who plays B/X D&D. I'm not their customer base, nor do I want to be. WotC D&D holds no magic for me.

What I wanted was to protect the 3PPs and the OGL. That is done. Now I'm happy.
Yes, the yanking of the rug from under the 3pp was the final straw for me. I cancelled Beyond and planned not to buy the new books.

They changed course back and so did I.

They changed course back and so did I.

This is what I like about the subscription system. We could put our money where our mouth is instantly.
So we did not have to wait for the next book to show our dislike. It was just one click. And just another click to show our satisfaction with their course correction.

It is just like training a dog. Direct responses. So a subscription system, where we are at WotC's mercy puts WotC at our mercy too.

Do you know what would really put a thorn in WOTC's side? Buying a copy of Level Up! An advanced form of 5E you can purchase on this very website! Show that megacorp who's boss!

Remove ads