• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"I'm a [BLANK] kid!"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I always respected the skill of the guys in Oasis, but I didn’t enjoy much of their stuff. Their brotherly squabbles were more entertaining than their music.

Blur entertained me MUCH more, and Damon Albarn has been a lot more consistent in doing interesting stuff than the Gallaghers.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah but the battle was between Oasis and Blur. Admittedly I wasn't so much a kid then, just in Uni.

I always thought INXS were a little earlier (saw them in concert at Wembley Arena 1991), so yeah they were kind of contemporaries I guess, although INXS started a lot earlier than the Brit Pop bands, and I think of them being big in the 80s rather than the 90s. Michael Hutchence only died in 97.

This one was '88, which was one of their biggest hits.

I was late to the game with them, only starting out with "Kick" in '87.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
My first cassette tape kid.
My first CD and my first Cassette were the same album.. And I got the CD first.

My brother bought me Stunt by Barenaked Ladies. It was Christmas 1998, or maybe 1999.

Fast forward ten years or so, and my first car was only five years younger than I was, a 1997 Dodge Neon, and it had a tape deck. I went to a store that sold retro stuff.. Video games, vinyl records.. Etc.. They had a huge bin of cassettes, and were selling them 3/$1. I got a ton of them. Two of which were Barenaked Ladies. Stunt and Maroon. Both still in the plastic wrap.

A year or so into owning the car, and the rewind/fast forward function of the tape deck quit working. It would still auto flip the tape, so if you listened to the whole album you were fine. If you wanted to listed to side A again, or perhaps start a track over, you were out of luck. I was complaining about this to my dad, and I'm sure many of you guys know what the solution he gave me was.

1716558235753.png

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
My first CD and my first Cassette were the same album.. And I got the CD first.

My brother bought me Stunt by Barenaked Ladies. It was Christmas 1998, or maybe 1999.

Fast forward ten years or so, and my first car was only five years younger than I was, a 1997 Dodge Neon, and it had a tape deck. I went to a store that sold retro stuff.. Video games, vinyl records.. Etc.. They had a huge bin of cassettes, and were selling them 3/$1. I got a ton of them. Two of which were Barenaked Ladies. Stunt and Maroon. Both still in the plastic wrap.

A year or so into owning the car, and the rewind/fast forward function of the tape deck quit working. It would still auto flip the tape, so if you listened to the whole album you were fine. If you wanted to listed to side A again, or perhaps start a track over, you were out of luck. I was complaining about this to my dad, and I'm sure many of you guys know what the solution he gave me was.

View attachment 364668
I was a AC/DC Razors Edge first CD kid. Dad liked this one, but wasnt sure if it was something I should be listening too. :ROFLMAO:

Edgar Ironpelt

Adventurer
I was a "The Golden Age of Science Fiction is Fourteen" teenager, and a "Gemini & Apollo Space Program" kid before then.

TeeVee shows and movies tended to bounce off without leaving much impression. Printed Text for the Win!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
First CD is a tough one. I got my first CD player as a sophomore in college in 1988. I soon had several CDs that included (some for sure, some maybe but close):
Peter Gabriel, So
Pink Floyd, Obscured by Clouds and More
Jethro Tull, Aqualung and 20 Years of Jethro Tull
Moody Blues, Days of Future Passed
Roger Waters, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
David Gilmour, About Face
The Police, Regatta de Blanc
Blondie, Plastic Letters
REM, Document

Yeah, new pop releases weren't my thing. Not long after this and in grad school, the MTV show "120 Minutes" would help me fill out some of my CD collection with Lush, the Heart Throbs, Liz Phair, and Matthew Sweet...

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I have no idea on first cassette or CD. The first record I bought was the 45 of the theme from the Duke's of Hazzard (probably summer between 3rd and 4th grade, or 4th and 5th grade?).

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
First CD is a tough one. I got my first CD player as a sophomore in college in 1988. I soon had several CDs that included (some for sure, some maybe but close):
Peter Gabriel, So
Pink Floyd, Obscured by Clouds and More
Jethro Tull, Aqualung and 20 Years of Jethro Tull
Moody Blues, Days of Future Passed
Roger Waters, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
David Gilmour, About Face
The Police, Regatta de Blanc
Blondie, Plastic Letters
REM, Document

Yeah, new pop releases weren't my thing. Not long after this and in grad school, the MTV show "120 Minutes" would help me fill out some of my CD collection with Lush, the Heart Throbs, Liz Phair, and Matthew Sweet...
Im a matthew sweet teen.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads