• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm an archer: why shouldn't I be a beast master ranger?

Danceofmasks

First Post
I've seen a melee archer in action ... flank with a fighter and shoot.
They get an OA, but you get +3 to hit ... and oh yeah, the fighter gets to beat on them if they take that OA.

That character seems to think 3 feet is too much of a distance to aim ... and strangely, it works.

Rechan

Adventurer
I've seen a melee archer in action ... flank with a fighter and shoot.
They get an OA, but you get +3 to hit ... and oh yeah, the fighter gets to beat on them if they take that OA..
+3 to hit... how?

Does RAW say you can flank with ranged attacks (even if you're in melee range)?

Danceofmasks

First Post
Flanking says where you have to be, and be able to attack.
It does not specify what sort of attack ... so heck ... a warlock could flank with an eldritch blast.

Cryptos

First Post
I was resistant to the idea myself before seeing Martial Power... but now I'm thinking Beast Mastery might not be such a bad idea. The primary reason I was resistant to it was that I was glad that the PHB Ranger was not forced to be nature oriented, and that I could use it to make a better archery-based thief, military-style archer, or other type of sharpshooter archetype than with any other class.

But now that I look at it, a raptor companion sounds really good. You can mark targets easier. Seeing as how it says that when you spend a move action both you and your companion can move (need not be the same movement), that adds in all kinds of opportunities. Just looking at the first couple levels, I see a few things:

For one thing, you could move or shift as your move to keep out of enemy reach, while your companion flies toward the next target you plan to attack, to be positioned to mark it.

You've got a level 2 utility that basically allows you to make two trained perception checks at will and take the best result.

And looking at the attack powers, while there aren't any ranged beast powers per se, there are powers that are "Melee Beast 1", which states that the companion must be adjacent to the target. You can be anywhere you damn well please. Partnered Savaging even seems to be something you could use well as an archer, the companion attacks in melee, and if you've got the target marked, you get to shift and make a basic attack against the same target. Note that it doesn't say melee basic attack, and there are ranged basic attacks in the game as well so you could do this with your bow. That would provide the 2{B} damage, your 1{W} damage from the basic attack, plus your extra Quarry damage, and a 3 square shift for you. Your companion could move over, mark the target, swoop down and claw at a target in melee, and then you could shoot at the same target from range. I'm sure that on examination, there will probably be other powers like this that would be perfectly fine for an archer to use as written.

I now think I might just modify my preferred martial character build from an archery thief built from a Ranger / Rogue multiclass with the Archer Fighting Style to one that includes a falcon companion as his "thief's fetch" to swoop down to distract foes and snatch things, and still take primarily archery attack powers.

Last edited:

CardinalXimenes

First Post
A beastmaster ranger that doesn't take beastmaster powers has a pretty useless pet. It can't make any attacks without action expenditure- even OAs require that you burn your immediate interrupt to trigger it, so pets can't have more than one OA per round. It's basic attack has a lousy attack bonus and indifferent damage under most circumstances. An "archer" beastmaster who took nothing but archer powers gets almost nothing out of his pet. It's true that he can mix-and-match a little, but the power sets just don't synergize at all.

Doctor Proctor

First Post
A beastmaster ranger that doesn't take beastmaster powers has a pretty useless pet. It can't make any attacks without action expenditure- even OAs require that you burn your immediate interrupt to trigger it, so pets can't have more than one OA per round. It's basic attack has a lousy attack bonus and indifferent damage under most circumstances. An "archer" beastmaster who took nothing but archer powers gets almost nothing out of his pet. It's true that he can mix-and-match a little, but the power sets just don't synergize at all.

Yeah, but he's not losing a whole lot either. Just Defensive Mobility and Prime Shot. Having the companion though allows him to pick his Quarry, which is great, and allows him to set up flanks for other allies. There's not as much synergy with the beast proper, that's true, but you're not losing anything by doing it and probably getting a lot of new abilities in return.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads