I'm beginning to dislike Netflix (re: Archive 81, 1899, Warrior Nun etc cancellations)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
What do you mean by "legit?" I was merely referring to popularity - pointing out that Hancock is relatively well-known.
As in legitimate author, researcher, person who says things you can consider reasonable. Again, I dont know Hancock, but Rogan himself has said, "dont listen to me I'm stupid" and pontificates on doing a better job vetting guests and researching subjects. Being popular doesn't mean the author is not spreading misinformation or conspiracy. Again, I'm not saying, but if you want me to consider Hancock somebody to listen to, using Rogan is a bad idea.

Mercurius

Legend
As in legitimate author, researcher, person who says things you can consider reasonable. Again, I dont know Hancock, but Rogan himself has said, "dont listen to me I'm stupid" and pontificates on doing a better job vetting guests and researching subjects. Being popular doesn't mean the author is not spreading misinformation or conspiracy. Again, I'm not saying, but if you want me to consider Hancock somebody to listen to, using Rogan is a bad idea.
You're completely missing the point. Netflix is an entertainment service, and puts out shows that they think people will watch. Hancock is a popular author. Millions of people watch or listen to Joe Rogan. I mentioned Rogan as an example of Hancock being known to many people, and thus giving a certain base audience for a show.

It has absolutely nothing to do with whether you, me, or any other individual or subset of individuals, think Hancock or Rogan is "legit."

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
You're completely missing the point. Netflix is an entertainment service, and puts out shows that they think people will watch. Hancock is a popular author. Millions of people watch or listen to Joe Rogan. I mentioned Rogan as an example of Hancock being known to many people, and thus giving a certain base audience for a show.

It has absolutely nothing to do with whether you, me, or any other individual or subset of individuals, think Hancock or Rogan is "legit."
I hold documentaries in a higher regard and find it unethical to spread misinformation for entertainment and profit purposes. So, I see the popularity argument as putting the cart before the horse here. Obviously, you are not convinced about the accusations about Hancock. I am just beginning to learn about the author and their material.

Mercurius

Legend
I hold documentaries in a higher regard and find it unethical to spread misinformation for entertainment and profit purposes. So, I see the popularity argument as putting the cart before the horse here. Obviously, you are not convinced about the accusations about Hancock. I am just beginning to learn about the author and their material.
I would suggest that the term "misinformation" doesn't apply, especially when we're talking about theories on prehistory. It isn't "misinforming" to share a different view on human origins, because there's no factual account of it.

What I find to actually be both unethical and misinformation--not to mention slanderous--is linking Hancock to white supremacy.

I could cry that The Kingdom was cancelled after season 2. Great cast, cool story, excellent pacing and direction. The film was nice but after 4 years I’ve given up on a Season 3.

OA was another one that was canned just as it started to get interesting. It makes me wary about investing time in series like From because the payoff is so slow.

Really enjoying Midnight Club so far though. They keep just enough coming to keep me paying the subscription - though granted by parents and brother all have the access.
Oa liked it. Strange delay between season 1-2. Wanted more . Came out around the same time as travelers (really good)which got an ending at least
Midnight club I think got cancelled

Ryujin

Legend
Personally I cancelled my Netflix for a rather worse thing than their dreadful habit of cancelling shows. Rather they gave Graham Hancock a glossy, fairly high-budget documentary series!

For those who don't know who Graham Hancock the full wikipedia article can be found here: Graham Hancock - Wikipedia

But to summarize, he's a conspiracy-theory nut case who promotes totally fake archaeology that basically says there used to be a older better (whiter) civilization spread across the entire world, then it got wiped out by something. His "theories" (which are baseless and evidence-free), align tightly with 1800/1900s white supremacist theories about human history (particularly along the lines of "the non-white natives of this region could never have done such a thing!"), and basically portray archaeology and archaeologists as lying and attempting to cover up the "truth".

And why did Netflix do that, why would they drag this somewhat forgotten (he was big in the '90s) conspiracist figure back to light in 2022? Because Hancock's son is Senior Manager of Unscripted Originals at Netflix.

Great! Nepotism leading the to direct and intentional promotion of racist conspiracy theories.

Re: the lesser sin of cancelling shows, I think the main issue I have with it from Netflix particularly is that they seem to very much adopt a "throw it against the wall, see what sticks!" attitude to shows, and the end result of this is that the "feel" of Netflix is far worse than other channels re: cancellations. @Umbran is very much correct to point out a lot of shows get cancelled across all networks, and so on, but certainly Netflix' vibe here is very different to Apple+, Disney+, or even Prime, where you're not getting so many intriguing shows thrown at you, only to be immediately snatched away. It's also clear to me that, the metrics Netflix uses for determining what shows to keep are incompatible my own viewing habits, because Netflix has explained (on a number of occasions), that unless people immediately binge-watch an entire show, that's seen as a major negative indicator. I mean, one might argue Prime has gone too far the other way at times - some shows have inexplicably kept going, season after season, despite questionable quality, but honestly, that feels better to me.
Graham Hancock: Erik von Daniken, but without the funny/interesting alien stuff.

Also Graham Hancock: "Look at all of this stuff (that I wouldn't know about if it wasn't for archaeologists) that archaeologists ignore!"

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases