D&D General "I'm glad to be back playing D&D."

That’s the problem. It doesn’t feel dangerous.

Where’s the danger when you are invisible 99% of the time in an underdark campaign? Or
Can bypass most simple traps with a cantrip spell?

When any ill you receive is gone after a nights sleep? That’s not danger that’s a walk in the park.
WHile I agree 5E is too low risk for my taste, basic door traps aren't a challenge, they're an exercise in order of operations. Unless the DM is just pulling some kind of Grimtooth adversarial BS ("you fools, you dared search for traps? you set off the tiny explosive runes only readable by those looking for traps!"), they've been solved. It's 2024, we can do better than needles in locks.

What sort of danger or challenge does it model?
Good question. To answer that would probably require another thread that asks about which exploration challenges the various players here have encountered in 5e D&D. ;) We both know that 5e has Creature challenges, D&D has always had this particular challenge. But it doesn't seem IMO to appear to have very much of the other kinds of challenges such as Weather and Terrain challenges.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
You literally said it didn’t model some challenges, but when asked what challenges it does model you decline to answer? Okay. That’s certainly one way to admit you don’t have an argument to make.
I decline to answer because you clearly have a big chip on your shoulder about this particular topic and I'm regretting my attempt to be diplomatic.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I decline to answer because you clearly have a big chip on your shoulder about this particular topic and I'm regretting my attempt to be diplomatic.
Huh. What an odd thing to say. What gives you the impression I have a chip on my shoulder about the topic? We seem to agree completely that 5E does not model “old-school” challenges well, so I’m honestly curious what challenges you think it does model well.

GreyLord

Legend
I asked them when making characters to think more like Lord of the Rings and less Sponge Bob, so the party is a Warforged, Goblin, Tabaxi, Human, and Elf.
Maybe has been addressed earlier in the thread...but...

Did some of them never read (or at least watch the movies) for LotR??

This is their more Lord of the Rings type characters????

Their Sponge Bob Characters must be all over the place. What were they? A literal sponge, a talking Dory fish, and a Big toe or something.?

If someone said LotR type characters I'd have thought something more like the LotR type races and characters and such...not a Warforged or Tabaxi...and if I recall...goblins are the really bad guys in LotR so that probably isn't a normal LotR character.

Interesting their take on LotR.

Remove ads