I'm not allowed to watch Star Trek any more

Dire Bare

Legend
coincidentally, I picked up a month of Paramount+ to watch the Star Trecks and have to say I can’t watch them anymore either. I’m so tired of everything being made more ”adult” cause we’re not on broadcast TV. one Of the cool things with old star trek was the family friendly…not so much now. I mean, doesn’t bother me watching, I can, but no longer something I can watch with my 8 yr old. And it adds so little the gore, the Klingon tits, all that. Whatever, I get most people like it, I’m just why? Add’s nothing to story.
Klingon what now?
Ahem... Klingon cleavage was introduced to Star Trek during the TNG era via Lursa and B'Etor.

I agree the occasional forays into gore are unnecessary (I thought First Contact was a bit too violent for Trek). Disagree about the language though. That's actually kinda charming, especially when Tilly swears. Then again, I was raised in New Jersey. A place where Sopranos dialogue is more-or-less child appropriate because who are we effing kidding...
In the first season of Discovery, there is a love scene between the Klingons L'Rell and Voq, where you briefly see L'Rell's "Klingon tits". I was pretty shocked myself . . . the scene was a flashback, shot in a deliberately disorientating style, you don't see L'Rell's breasts fully . . . . but yeah, "Klingon tits".

However, it's the only scene like this in all 4 seasons of Discovery, and there isn't anything like this in Picard. The cursing continues throughout both series, but it's mild and infrequent.

Some fans find these choices off-putting and have decided to avoid the new shows. To each their own, but . . . . I think the criticism are overwrought. That's okay, more Trek for me!

Hex08

Hero
coincidentally, I picked up a month of Paramount+ to watch the Star Trecks and have to say I can’t watch them anymore either. I’m so tired of everything being made more ”adult” cause we’re not on broadcast TV. one Of the cool things with old star trek was the family friendly…not so much now. I mean, doesn’t bother me watching, I can, but no longer something I can watch with my 8 yr old. And it adds so little the gore, the Klingon tits, all that. Whatever, I get most people like it, I’m just why? Add’s nothing to story.
I tried to give Discovery a chance but after three seasons I gave up on it, although not for the reasons you mention (I will admit that Discovery isn't an all-ages show like prior Treks). I enjoy Picard but it isn't without it's flaws and has some of the same problems as Discovery. You should check out Lower Decks and Prodigy, they are both really good without all of the dark, broody nonsense. Lower Decks is a comedy and Prodigy is a kids cartoon and these two cartoons feel more like Star Trek than any of the live action stuff being released on Paramount+.

Last edited:

Ah! An excellent show I must rewatch soon.
The whole scene is one of my favorite bits ever—I would never have guessed Stewart could be so pitch-perfect in a comic role. (This was before Blunt Talk.) I guess I assume that every other Trek fan will have that scene memorized as I do, which of course is a silly assumption.

To be serious for a moment, I don't have anything original to say about the whole Paramount+ situation. But it's lousy, and I sympathize.

For clarity, I can still watch, but I can’t watch because I can’t watch with my 8 yr old like I could with TNG or Voyager. And just for no reason baiting I’ll say Voyager was the best one. All of the new ones have the same problem as the old ones in that super competent people make super stupid mistakes causing the episode issue then besuper competent again to solve.

Also wish for more monster/alien/weirdness of the week episodes rather than long story crap where crewmember in peril that’s standard now.

Remove ads