• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Imbue with Spell Ability

paranoid

How many spell slots do you lose when transferring spells?
SRD said:
You transfer some of your currently prepared spells, and the ability to cast them, to another creature.
[...]
Once you cast imbue with spell ability, you cannot prepare a new 4th-level spell to replace it until the recipient uses the imbued spells or is slain, or until you dismiss the imbue with spell ability spell.

Recently a fellow gamer almost convinced me that your 1st- and 2nd-level spell slots are retained. So is it correct that you only lose access to one 4th-level spell slot, but are still able to prepare your normal number of 1st- and 2nd-level spells? Or do you lose access also to the transferred spells? I always thought you would lose them, too. I mean, they are transferred after all, not copied, aren't they?

If not, how does the imbue ability of the Divine Disciple (FRCS) fit in? They may transfer spells without casting a 4th-lv spell. Can they imbue spells to an unlimited number of people?

-p.

Goolpsy

First Post
You only lose the slot of the spell you imbue the person with.. (until he or she uses it)
so imbueing him with a 4th level spell, that means you can prepare 1 less 4th level spell per day, (until you get your slot back, by imbued person using it)

Infiniti2000

First Post
You cannot prepare the 4th level slot again until you dismiss the imbue or until the recipient uses up the spells. When you next prepare you can recover the other spells you imbued the recipient with.

TheGogmagog

First Post
You lose the 4th level slot, that you used to cast imbune with, and you also cast the 1st and 2nd level spells. If the day passes and the recipient still has spells retained, the following day the cleric can pray for his full allotment of 1st and 2nd level spells, but must sacrafice the 4th level slot to maintain the imbuned spells.

The 4th level slot is the only one mentioned for the restriction of memorizing spells the following day.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Not having the book with me at work, I'd say that they still can only use it on one person. I'm sure if that's per the rules, but I'm sure that's per the spirit. The difference is that they do not have to use up a 4th level slot.

Remove ads