Immortals Index (Pantheons, Mythology Discussion)

Hi dante mate! :)

dante58701 said:
I do hope you make them.

I have a question regarding Hastur (The King in Yellow)...what portfolios would he have?

Would he be Entropy?

I'm probably not well read enough in Cthilhu lore to countermand CoC d20 to any great degree.

Although I generally take the idea that Azathoth (Algol) is an Old One. Therefore, since he is meant to be the most powerful of the Cthulhoid Beings Nyarlothotep could not be a First One/Entropy.

I see Nyarlothotep perhaps more akin to a Greater Power.

dante58701 said:
How bout the Aztec gods?

I certainly plan on detailing the Aztec gods in probably the second Immortals Index tome. However, when that will happen is anyones guess.

Axolotl

First Post
Could you provide us with a list of what gods will be in the immortal Indexes (primarily greek since thats the only one I know much about). Could Bachhus be included in the Greek Index, I know hes a roman god but he fits.

Pssthpok

First Post
Axolotl said:
Could you provide us with a list of what gods will be in the immortal Indexes (primarily greek since thats the only one I know much about). Could Bachhus be included in the Greek Index, I know hes a roman god but he fits.

I think he's Dionysus in Greek tradition.

Rikandur Azebol

First Post
Axolotl said:
They are slightly different, Dionysus is far more alien and sinister than Bacchus who is more human and jolly.

He won't fit the greek gods, being so humane and jolly. :]

Xipe Totec is nice dante58701, but I like more TEZCATLIPOCA. :lol:

paradox42

First Post
Cthulhu Mythos Portfolios

I'll preface this reply by saying that I am very well versed in the Cthulhu Mythos, having read every story HPL wrote that I've heard of, and many of the stories by other writers in the "Lovecraft Circle" and those used as bases for the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game. I also use the Far Realm heavily in my recent D&D campaigns, and one of my two current games features characters who are actually crusading for the Far Realm. Of course, while I do have the background, others with similar backgrounds may have differing opinions; the below represents my opinion on the subject.

Upper_Krust said:
I'm probably not well read enough in Cthilhu lore to countermand CoC d20 to any great degree.
CoC doesn't assign Portfolios to the Mythos deities in any significant way; the closest it comes is in the case of the Outer Gods such as Azathoth, Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, and Yog-Sothoth. That said, the way Hastur is portrayed in typical CoC lore I can't honestly see him as being anything other than Madness, probably Double Madness. His primary association, other than the star Aldebaran, is the play The King in Yellow, which has the attribute of driving insane anyone who reads it or sees it performed. Entropy doesn't really come into it where he's concerned, or at least no more than it does for any generic Mythos entity.

Upper_Krust said:
Although I generally take the idea that Azathoth (Algol) is an Old One. Therefore, since he is meant to be the most powerful of the Cthulhoid Beings Nyarlothotep could not be a First One/Entropy.

I see Nyarlothotep perhaps more akin to a Greater Power.
FWIW, CoC agrees with you in relative power levels, as I suspect would Lovecraft himself if he bothered with such things as Divine Ranks (though he most likely wouldn't, preferring to leave the entity undefined and unknown for the greater fear factor). I say that because Nyarlathotep is defined in his stories as the herald and servant of the Outer Gods- it's not even really clear if he's supposed to actually be one himself. Clearly, he's weaker than any of them, but being by far the most intelligent (essentially being their mind and soul, somehow) he's also by far the most active of them in the affairs of the rest of the cosmos. Nyarlathotep I'd peg as being Chaos and Entropy, probably with Madness as a third if he's gotten an extra Portfolio somehow.

Azathoth should be Double Entropy, or perhaps Chaos and Entropy though that's stretching it mightily (his alignment should properly be True Neutral since he's an "INT -" creature- pretty much mindless- but being what he is and where he's from a Chaotic Neutral alignment is arguable). Again, if he's somehow acquired more than two Portfolios I'd go with Madness as a third, and possibly Fire or Sun as another since he's supposed to be a "nuclear chaos" (usually interpreted by modern authors and game designers as a living nuclear explosion).

Other Mythos entities can be assigned similarly. It's an interesting fact that once you really look hard at what the entity represents, very few if any will have the Madness Portfolio without going with three or more Portfolios somehow. This is actually well in keeping with the Mythos stories, because in those stories the madness induced by the presence of the Mythos is not by intention of the Mythos beings themselves- it's simply a result of the human mind being too weak/bound up in its rules and traditions to deal with the fact of their existence any other way.

Last edited:

Hiya mate! :)

Axolotl said:

Its probably too early to give a definitive list.

My initial idea for each Immortals Index was to detail the top 20-25 immortals and list all the others. I also wanted to have the main heroes and monsters detailed, some Prestige Classes, Magic Items, Spells and perhaps an Adventure.

However, looking at Gods & Monsters it basically takes 8 pages to detail one immortal properly (broken down as follows):

+1 - Description & Legends & Illustration
+2 - Manifestation stats
+1 - Avatar stats
+1 - Aspect stats
+1 - Realm
+1 - Servants
+1 - Worship

Now there is simply no way I can detail 20+ deities at that length for every Immortals Index. I don't even know how much people want entries of that magnitude. I simply include them in Gods & Monsters to give people an idea of what you can do, not necessarily what you should do.

So the Immortals Indeces format is still in a state of flux shall we say. I'd really love to be able to boil those eight pages down to two, then I could detail tons of deities.

Hey all! :)

dante58701 said:

Cool website (especially for the illustrations), thanks for the link dante mate. :D

Rikandur Azebol said:
Xipe Totec is nice dante58701, but I like more TEZCATLIPOCA.

Tezcatlipoca I have as the Chaotic Evil head of the Aztec pantheon (I just hope dante doesn't have a roommate who worships Tezcatlipoca - otherwise this could spark "Alignment War II".) :p

So I was thinking the Inca's would have a Chaotic Good leader and the Amer-indians a Chaotic Neutral leader.

Remove ads