Implements dont make sense..

Evenglare

Adventurer
So to my understanding... you dont NEED an implement to cast a spell.. but it says the implement makes the spell stronger.. or something. But thats not described anywhere as far as KotS or the Prerelease is concerned. Can anyone explain this.

baberg

First Post
It was probably cut for space concerns. At creation you pick an implement you want to specialize in - Orb, Staff, Wand. When you're wielding these items you basically get an Encounter power that lets you extend harmful effects, grants bonuses to defenses, or bonuses to attack roll (in that order).

william_nova

Explorer
Post removed.

Copying information from illegal PDFs will get you banned. Don't do it. Feel free to discuss the information or provide snippets, but violating copyrights isn't something we want to see. ~ PCat

Last edited by a moderator:

keterys

First Post
More importantly, by 3rd level you'll have a +1 Implement, and it only gets better from there.

So having your +3 Holy Symbol of Healing that lets you add 1d6 to a healing power every milestone and +3 to hit and damage with all prayers and 3d6 on crits or your +4 staff of the war mage that 1/day lets you increase a burst or blast radius by 1 and adds +4 to hit and damage and gives +4d8 on crits?

Yeah, you'll care.

brehobit

Explorer
It appears that for wizards only, the implement choice gives a small bonus. For example we've seen that Wands give a +2 bonus (or perhaps stat based) once be encounter on a single attack roll. You get to pick one kind of implement to have "mastery" over.

That's I'll I know....

Rechan

Adventurer
Normal implements allow you to use an encounter power. Both the KotS and D&DXP wizard had Wand Focus, which gave him a +2 to attack vs. an opponent as an encounter power.

Magical implements give +x to attack and damage. A magical implement adds +xd6 to a crit (just like a magical weapon). And magical implements have powers.

baberg

First Post
Rechan said:
Magical implements give +x to attack and damage. A magical implement adds +xd6 to a crit (just like a magical weapon). And magical implements have powers.
That'll teach me to skim over the Magical Item blocks...

william_nova

Explorer
william_nova said:
Post removed.

Copying information from illegal PDFs will get you banned. Don't do it. Feel free to discuss the information or provide snippets, but violating copyrights isn't something we want to see. ~ PCat

Duely noted, kind admin. Many apologies. I came here to remove this but you beat me to it. Shall not happen again.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
william_nova said:
Duely noted, kind admin. Many apologies. I came here to remove this but you beat me to it. Shall not happen again.
Thanks. :)

If I remember correctly, wands give you a bonus to hit and damage and carry a specific power inside of them (like a 3e wand does.) Orbs help improve control effects, and I can't remember what staves do.

Warlock and cleric implements have their own schticks, too.

Basically, they're magic swords for wizards instead of fighters.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
One rather major correction: you do not need an implement to cast an (Implement) spell. It's just that a +X implement gives you a bonus on powers with the (Implement) descriptor keyword. :)

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads