• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Important: Please Read! Changes Are Coming!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can live with the new forum icons, but personally, I find some of them a bit indistinct: a thread that is "Hot" with new posts that "you have posted in" is pretty busy.

Then again, I'm looking at this in 1920x1080.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The new icons are nice looking. Suggestions to make them more distinct and easier on the reader:

- Put each of the four add-on symbols in the corners instead of in the middle. You want to violate the icon's borders so the add-on symbols are visible while the reader scans the thread title. Right now, the green check in the middle of a bunch of green & blue triangles isn't visible unless you look right at the icon.

- I'd suggest that the checkbox go in the upper-right, the 'fire-drop' go in the lower-left, the lock go in the lower-right, and the 'moved' arrow go in the upper-left. Keep the symbols in these places even when there's just one of them. Ought to make it easier on the designer, too.

Cheers, -- N

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I can live with the new forum icons, but personally, I find some of them a bit indistinct: a thread that is "Hot" with new posts that "you have posted in" is pretty busy.
(shrug) I didn't think they were all that bad, really. Seems intuitive enough, but this is just one nerd's opinion. B-)

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
One nice thing about displaying the xp comments in the post is that it allows someone like me comment on something several pages back in a thread after the topic has moved on. It's a way to make marginalia comments, essentially.

Hmmm ... now that I've written that out, it doesn't sound quite as awesome as I thought it would. If people want to respond to xp comments than a thread can get very complicated and messy. Still, I find the ability to comment on older posts in a thread fulfilling.

EDIT: I stole the term, and perhaps the entire way of thinking about xp, from the marginalia at lumpley.com

EDIT 2: The post author's way to respond to xp comments would be through edits, I guess. From here we're only a step or two from creating a completely separate sub-thread based on a post. Like forking, only the post remains in place. Then you could use some sort of evaluation system (xps, maybe, or number of posts, or a non-xp ranking system) that could elevate the sub-thread to its own thread, again like an ex post facto (pardon the pun) fork. I'm not asking for any of this, I'm just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
I admit I miss the old Hot Thread icon. Seeing a world engulfed in fire I think was a very appropriate icon for some of the really active and flame heavy threads. ;)

Janx

Hero
I happened to try loading up enworld on my iPhone to check a thread, and saw it was enabled for Tapatalk, an iPhone app (I hadn't heard of it) to use the forums.

Very nice, now that I installed it. Sadly the other 4 forums I use (not RPGs) aren't supported in it. Darn those people who don't use vBulletin!

I mention this, because it is a viable solution for iPhone users, rather than reformatting/skinning the page if that takees work.

one sad side effect is I can't give XP (or apparently see it as comments)

Nebten

First Post
Each time I go to sign up as a subscriber, I find out something that irritates me. (Some of this may have already been brought up, but I don't feel like going through 40 pages to see if it hasn't or not.)

The first time was if you canceled your subscription, to renew it would have been 6 bucks instead of $3. That just erked me the wrong the way. I mean why do this? Its a little bit of bait and switch. But I see that is no longer the case.

Now this time around, you are taking away things that were offered before and putting them behind lock and key. Again, not cool.

It is hard to support something I don't agree with.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Well, as I said upthread, I feel I owe Morrus something, so here I am, extra XP functional.

EDIT: How does the negrep work? Have you decided not to include that feature now? (If so, good decision.)

EDIT to the EDIT: I also cannot get to the subscriber content. Help? Working now! Thanks to the Mods of EN World!

Last edited:

Each time I go to sign up as a subscriber, I find out something that irritates me. (Some of this may have already been brought up, but I don't feel like going through 40 pages to see if it hasn't or not.)

The first time was if you canceled your subscription, to renew it would have been 6 bucks instead of $3. That just erked me the wrong the way. I mean why do this? Its a little bit of bait and switch. But I see that is no longer the case.

Now this time around, you are taking away things that were offered before and putting them behind lock and key. Again, not cool.

It is hard to support something I don't agree with.

If you hang around in the META forum, you would know that is the tactic Morrus uses to combat the problem of people who subscribe for one month, download all the subscriber goodies, and then let it lapse. Some people will even subscribe, download it all, and then cancel their subscriptions without even paying for the one month! Apparently, that method is much easier to implement then limiting how many things one can download in a month.

Seriously, you're like the third person who asked this question. Morrus, you seriously need to compile all of your ideas/concepts/explanations into some type of FAQ or something like that.

Woas

First Post
What about a mode, where you pay us like a dollar a month, and just make the website sort of plain with very basic icons. Like a red notepad if its a 'hot' thread. Or not even red cause that would be sort of embellishing. But like a notepad with a black checkmark if we've posted in it. And the website is all white field with black lettering and it just says ENWorld.org on it. And there's no status or comments or XPs or signatures or anything, just a user name. Is there an option for that?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads